How many denominations of mythicism is there?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Chrissy Hansen

Re: How many denominations of mythicism is there?

Post by Chrissy Hansen »

John T wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:19 pm
Chris Hansen wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:24 am Thomas L. Brodie is a mythicist with a peer reviewed book arguing Jesus didn't exist. In the same book he also argues he is still Christian and discusses how he maintains his Catholic faith.
O.K. I'll bite. Tell us Chris, just how did Brodie deal with his cognitive dissonance? :popcorn:

Please don't blow it like last time. :roll:
By being an intellectually curious person is how he did it. You should read his book. It is easily yours via a purchase on Amazon. I don't need to explain something to you that you can read for yourself. That isn't my responsibility.
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

Chris Hansen wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:39 pm
Chris Hansen wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:24 am Thomas L. Brodie is a mythicist with a peer reviewed book arguing Jesus didn't exist. In the same book he also argues he is still Christian and discusses how he maintains his Catholic faith.
O.K. I'll bite. Tell us Chris, just how did Brodie deal with his cognitive dissonance? :popcorn:

By being an intellectually curious person is how he did it. You should read his book. It is easily yours via a purchase on Amazon. I don't need to explain something to you that you can read for yourself. That isn't my responsibility.
I pretty much outlined his book in a series at https://vridar.org/tag/brodie-beyond-th ... cal-jesus/

John T, there are more things to learn about in life, the universe and everything than what you'll find in a single book with your preferred authority telling you how to interpret it.
John T

Post by John T »

Chris Hansen wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:39 pm

Not surprisingly, Chris blew it again. You had a chance to prove you were telling the truth about Brodie but instead you defaulted to a red herring once again. Of course you know that Brodie says you are a big phony. You can read it in his book. It is easily yours via a purchase on Amazon.

Back to the time-out corner you go. :facepalm:
John T

Post by John T »

neilgodfrey wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:57 pm

John T, there are more things to learn about in life, the universe and everything than what you'll find in a single book with your preferred authority telling you how to interpret it.

Neil, you should take the time to read every book and blog comment on what Brodie has to say about how he was a Christian before he became a mythicist priest, then get back to me. :cheeky:
Leucius Charinus

Post by Leucius Charinus »

John T wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:47 am The Mythicist Agenda.

"What is driving the mythicists agenda? ...It is no accident that virtually all mythicists (in fact, all of them, to my knowledge) are either atheists or agnostics....Their agenda is religious, and they are complicit in a religious ideology. They are not doing history; they are doing theology."...pg 336-338 Did Jesus Exist? by Dr. Ehrman.

Ehman's Agenda ?

Ehrman claims that mythicists are akin to holocaust denialists which only goes to establish that his knowledge and application of the historical method is not only deficient but pretty well screwed up. This contention is clearly demonstrated by his claims and abysmal treatment of NT primary historical sources in that book. Ehrman's deficient methodology is derived from a pulpit mentality amplified from within the bubble of the religious INDUSTRY within which the flock live and move and have their being.
Last edited by Leucius Charinus on Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

John T wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:14 pm

Neil, you should take the time to read every book and blog comment on what Brodie has to say about how he was a Christian before he became a mythicist priest, then get back to me. :cheeky:
Well, Brodie has a lot to say about his time as a Christian before he became a mythicist -- while still remaining a Christian. Since you know what is in B's book without having to read it or even the chapter summaries of it, you no doubt can tell me what Brodie has said about his Christian-priest career that he does not say or outline in the book Chris and I are asking you to read -- though what a waste of time: you have no need to read what you know without learning anything new.
Chrissy Hansen

Post by Chrissy Hansen »

neilgodfrey wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:04 pm

Well, Brodie has a lot to say about his time as a Christian before he became a mythicist -- while still remaining a Christian. Since you know what is in B's book without having to read it or even the chapter summaries of it, you no doubt can tell me what Brodie has said about his Christian-priest career that he does not say or outline in the book Chris and I are asking you to read -- though what a waste of time: you have no need to read what you know without learning anything new.
I actually submitted an article for review on the topic of mythicist Christians. So perhaps in the near future there will be one ready there as well. Forgot about your excellent blogs on the subject. Too bad John has no tolerance for reading anything shorter than a 20 word blog post.
ABuddhist

Post by ABuddhist »

Chris Hansen wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:06 pm

I actually submitted an article for review on the topic of mythicist Christians. So perhaps in the near future there will be one ready there as well. Forgot about your excellent blogs on the subject. Too bad John has no tolerance for reading anything shorter than a 20 word blog post.
Do you expect that it will get published? If so, when and where?
John T

Post by John T »

Well, Brodie has a lot to say about his time as a Christian before he became a mythicist -- while still remaining a Christian.
Well, that false statement proves you don't know his complete history. Sadly, all you had to do was just a few minutes of research to know better.

That is why I insist when dealing with mythicists that the best argument be presented first with citations.

No more red herrings.
No more self-promotions.
Just the facts please. ;)
Ulan

Post by Ulan »

John T wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:20 am
Ulan wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:00 pm The whole premise of this thread is based on a lack of mental clarity.
Let me help you with your lack of mental clarity.

You don't have to be a theist to be a theologian.

While we are at it, just because you are in denial of Christian history doesn't make you an atheist.

Got it?
I didn't think so, most mythicists lack mental clarity.
As usual, your reply has nothing to do with the points I raised.

And what your assumption that most mythicists lacked mental clarity would have to do with the exchange is also a head-scratcher. But given your posting history, I guess that's due to your habit of labeling everyone who objects to anything you say a mythicist.
In the end, that also reflects poorly on your thread, because you use the word at the center of the alleged topic of this thread as an insult you stripped of any meaning. Then again, that becomes already clear in your first post, so this lack of meaning is at least consistent. It's a "John T thread" after all.