Dating Acts

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
ABuddhist

Re: Dating Acts

Post by ABuddhist »

John2 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:21 am Paul's mention of his Epaphroditus in the context of "those from the household of Caesar."
1. Why assume that Caesar's household had only 1 Epaphroditus? As John T has pointed out, there were multiple people with that name.

2. Why assume that Paul was being honest about claiming to know people in Caesar's household? Such a claim would sound impressive, and Paul would not be the first religious leader to lie in an attempt top make himself seem more impressive to followers.
John2

Post by John2 »

ABuddhist wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:41 pm
John2 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:21 am Paul's mention of his Epaphroditus in the context of "those from the household of Caesar."
1. Why assume that Caesar's household had only 1 Epaphroditus? As John T has pointed out, there were multiple people with that name.

Do we know of any others with that name who worked for Nero?

2. Why assume that Paul was being honest about claiming to know people in Caesar's household? Such a claim would sound impressive, and Paul would not be the first religious leader to lie in an attempt top make himself seem more impressive to followers.

I'm already of the view that Paul was a relative of the Herodians (based on evidence in the NT and Josephus), so I expect him to have friends in high circles, as does apparently the author of Acts (e.g., 13:1 and 19:31):

Now in the church at Antioch there were prophets and teachers: Barnabas, Simeon called Niger, Lucius of Cyrene, Manaen (who had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch), and Saul.
Even some of Paul’s friends who were officials of the province of Asia sent word to him, begging him not to venture into the theater.
ABuddhist

Post by ABuddhist »

John2 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:55 pm
ABuddhist wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:41 pm
Do we know of any others with that name who worked for Nero?

I'm already of the view that Paul was a relative of the Herodians (based on evidence in the NT and Josephus), so I expect him to have friends in high circles, as does apparently the author of Acts (e.g., 13:1 and 19:31):

Now in the church at Antioch there were prophets and teachers: Barnabas, Simeon called Niger, Lucius of Cyrene, Manaen (who had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch), and Saul.
Even some of Paul’s friends who were officials of the province of Asia sent word to him, begging him not to venture into the theater.
1. Why assume that Nero had only one staff-member named Epaphroditus?

2. I am wary about regarding Acts as trustworthy, given both its pro-Christian bias and the findings of the Acts Seminar.
John2

Post by John2 »

ABuddhist wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:55 pm

1. Why assume that Nero had only one staff-member named Epaphroditus?

I suppose Nero could have had another staff-member with that name, but I'm aware of only one.

2. I am wary about regarding Acts as trustworthy, given both its pro-Christian bias and the findings of the Acts Seminar.

Alright, but Paul moving in high circles (i.e., with "those from the household of Caesar") is in keeping with the citations I gave from Acts, whoever his friend Epaphroditus may have been.