Question for M Linssen --- What Happened to GThomas Commentary?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
robert j

Question for M Linssen --- What Happened to GThomas Commentary?

Post by robert j »

@ mlinnsen

Some time ago you posted a link on this forum to your, "Complete gospel of Thomas Commentary, Part I & II - logion 0-55".

https://www.academia.edu/46974146/Compl ... n_content_

Sometime in the last few days, the entire text of the Commentary has been replaced by Q&A regarding the commentary, with this brief introduction ---

Introduction

The Discussion https://www.academia.edu/s/99e2090640 that had this paper (Complete Thomas Commentary, Part I) as subject has ended on June 3rd 2021. Its content - wholly unaltered - has been copied onto this paper for ease of access. Separate threads have been distinguished via a bold black line between them

Discussion content
Martijn Linssen

2 days ago

Thank you everyone for participating. I will collect all comments and attach them via a separate paper to this one I hope that this does breathe new life into Thomas research, as some have expressed. Let the content guide you, and you will find. Perhaps not what you seek for, or seek after, even But find we will

What happened to your commentary on Logia 0-55?
mlinssen

Re: Question for M Linssen --- What Happened to GThomas Commentary?

Post by mlinssen »

robert j wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:47 am @ mlinnsen

Some time ago you posted a link on this forum to your, "Complete gospel of Thomas Commentary, Part I & II - logion 0-55".

https://www.academia.edu/46974146/Compl ... n_content_

Sometime in the last few days, the entire text of the Commentary has been replaced by Q&A regarding the commentary, with this brief introduction ---

Introduction

The Discussion https://www.academia.edu/s/99e2090640 that had this paper (Complete Thomas Commentary, Part I) as subject has ended on June 3rd 2021. Its content - wholly unaltered - has been copied onto this paper for ease of access. Separate threads have been distinguished via a bold black line between them

Discussion content
Martijn Linssen

2 days ago

Thank you everyone for participating. I will collect all comments and attach them via a separate paper to this one I hope that this does breathe new life into Thomas research, as some have expressed. Let the content guide you, and you will find. Perhaps not what you seek for, or seek after, even But find we will

What happened to your commentary on Logia 0-55?
Disaster!

Thank you for that robert j, academia.edu is a bit quirky sometimes - the issue at hand here is the sort order of multiple papers for one and the same URL. Academia.edu Support doesn't really know how that works, I used to know how it works but something has been changed

Observe the screenshots please:
academia.edu_PaperSortOrder.png
academia.edu_PaperSortOrder.png (63.38 KiB) Viewed 380 times
When on laptop, one can see multiple papers attached to one single URL. The sort order of the papers is correct here, yet I only looked at page size (586 pages here) in order to verify whether the correct one sat on top. Adding papers results in them being converted to PDF, which can sometimes take rather long depending on many factors, among which are page size but also keywords, bibliography, and so on. In the case of adding the Commentary it takes about 10 minutes which doesn't seem like much but I have many papers with Discussion Content attached and more than a handful had become disordered.
I just reordered them and unfortunately was forced to the one sole choice at the moment, which is that adding one single paper always puts that on top - which means that I had to remove the primary paper, save, add it again, and save again.
Which unfortunately triggers everything that academia.edu provides upon Paper publication, among which is mentions - so everyone mentioned in the bibliography and elsewhere now has received yet another notification that they're mentioned in the paper

As my previous way of checking has demonstrated to be faulty, I checked again after the paper had been converted:
academia.edu_PaperSortOrder_2.png
academia.edu_PaperSortOrder_2.png (61.78 KiB) Viewed 380 times
As you can see, the primary paper now sits on top - yet the page size 1 of 116 would seem to suggest that it is the second Discussion Content paper (the first is only 99 pages) is primary

TL;DR - long story short: thank you very much for the heads up!
I will now once more check all papers for their order, and hope that whichever I fix will maintain the new order
mlinssen

Re: Question for M Linssen --- What Happened to GThomas Commentary?

Post by mlinssen »

Checked them all - all good now. Fixed two more!