David Oliver Smith on the interpolations in Paul

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Re: David Oliver Smith on the interpolations in Paul

Post by Giuseppe »

In his article, “Another Jesus, the Christology of Paul’s Opponents,” Journal of Higher Criticism, Vol 13, No. 2, pp 49-64, David Oliver Smith has made a good case (assuming, obviously, Pauline authenticity, that is far from being proved, unfortunately) for the enemies of Paul in all the epistles being again and again, only and always, the Pillars and their followers.

If you accept Mark as a paulinist gospel, then you are obliged to accept that "Mark" (author) had allegorized the Pillars behind the same "scribes and pharisees", and Paul himself behind "Jesus". What better evidence than this of the fact that "Paul did not learn anything from the apostles before him and that he got all of his gospel from revelation" ?

Accordingly, always assuming the traditional dates for Paul and Mark, the case is closed and is not even worth reopening.
gryan

Post by gryan »

Re: "the case is closed"

Lol.

I admit, you are far from alone in this assessment!

I liken my research to the title of that TV show: "Cold Case". I'm offering answers to questions nobody is seriously asking. My task is a daunting one, but hey, it is what I do.

PS: Thanks for this reference (below). I'm glad to know about it:

"In his article, “Another Jesus, the Christology of Paul’s Opponents,” Journal of Higher Criticism, Vol 13, No. 2, pp 49-64, David Oliver Smith has made a good case (assuming, obviously, Pauline authenticity, that is far from being proved, unfortunately) for the enemies of Paul in all the epistles being again and again, only and always, the Pillars and their followers."
schillingklaus

Post by schillingklaus »

The traditional dates are deceptive idiocies, only acceptable for uncritical scholars and apologists like Ehrman but not for critical ones, for Paul and the Pillars are fiction.