Question for Mythicists: Did Jesus Wear Clothes?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
schillingklaus

Re: Question for Mythicists: Did Jesus Wear Clothes?

Post by schillingklaus »

The garments are symbol and midrash, not to be understood literally as right-wingers like Kuno Kreuzzug try to trick you into believing.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Not only midrash from OT.

The garments put by Herod may betray Apellean influence.
Jesus is passing through a lower heaven (=Herod is the relative archon) that is not the final destination (hence the need of a fleshly cover == the garment), where he has finally to reveal himself in all his nakedness.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Blind Bartimaeus.
Leucius Charinus

Post by Leucius Charinus »

Secret Alias wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:39 pmAnd more importantly my question assumes that God or a god doesn't wear clothes
Their color, if he does, is (imperial) purple --- Matt, gPeter.
Often the gods are clothed in light.
Gospel of Philip (Patterson Brown) wrote: 26. In this world they who wear garments are more valuable than the garments. In the Sovereignty of the Heavens the garments are more valuable than those whom they have clothed thru water with fire, which purify the entire place.

///

85. Those who have been clothed in the Perfect Light — the powers can neither see them nor restrain them.
However asking mythicists for evidence that Jesus was clothed in the gospel may be like asking for evidence that Gandalf was clothed in "The Hobbit".
schillingklaus

Post by schillingklaus »

The origin of most of the clothing in the gospels is Genesis 3, where Adam and Eve discover that they are nude, whence they first use a tree leaf and then are dressed in skins.
Kunigunde Kreuzerin

Post by Kunigunde Kreuzerin »

Sorry, I completely overlooked the fact that the question of the OP was only a question for mythicists :D So the conclusion for mythicists is:

Although the gospels specifically say that Jesus wore robes, it does not mean that the gospels say that Jesus wore robes.

Super great logic guys :thumbup: :ugeek:
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

Since Jesus did not wear clothes, it is evident that no-one thought this unusual or worth mentioning, since the chief priests could think of no better way to identify him than by a Judas kiss -- presumably because all of his disciples were likewise naked.

The command, Follow me!, had more connotations than we have hitherto realized.
billd89

Once again I ask ...

Post by billd89 »

billd89 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:48 am Has anyone here read this odd book, to recommend? It's not been mentioned... Paul LeValley's Seekers of The Naked Truth: Collected Writings on the Gymnosophists and Related Shramana Religions [2018].
I'm led to believe the Author thinks that Jewish Therapeuts were nudists: Jesus as a Therapeut (entirely plausible) opens that possibility. Therefore, it's entirely germane to this OP, if not on point.
lsayre

Post by lsayre »

The guy who ran away naked and left his tunic behind was being initiated into the group. If the rest were not naked, why else might he have disrobed in their midst?
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Exactly. This is the difference between some of us and the rest. I don't know if Jesus was in some way historical. I don't know every interpolation in the Bible. I can live with grey areas because quite frankly I don't give a shit. My 'salvation' isn't dependent on whether Jesus turned water into wine or anything else there.

I find the question interesting because it is quite normal to expect a description of attire in a long narrative like the gospel. I know in Sherlock Holmes for instance there are innumerable references to the appearance of people and these are relatively short stories. So when KK says:
Although the gospels specifically say that Jesus wore robes, it does not mean that the gospels say that Jesus wore robes
This is typical. The gospels don't really say that he 'wore robes.' It says at one point a robe was put on him. If you assume canonical Mark is the original gospel then yes it says he had clothes which were removed from him. But there are other early gospels that have different accounts of that Passion narrative. Melito of Sardis thinks he was crucified naked. Throughout Book 3 of Against Heresies a 'naked' Jesus is repeated referenced by Irenaeus and Novatian. First Irenaeus 3:19:
But again, those who assert that He was a naked man, begotten by Joseph ((Rursus autem ‘qui nude tantum hominem eum dicunt ex Joseph generatum), remaining in the bondage of the old disobedience, are in a state of death (perseverantes in servitute pristinae inobedientiae moriuntur) having been not as yet joined to the Word of God the Father (nondum commixti Verbo Dei Patris), nor receiving liberty through the Son (neque per Filium percipientes libertatem)
I think there are two other references in the book. Novatian seems to imply that the Sabellians must think him 'naked' because he is all Father and has no personality of his own. But the idea of his inherent (and actual) nakedness seems to be presupposed.