Possible the original Pauline letters never mentioned Jesus?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
neilgodfrey

Re: Possible the original Pauline letters never mentioned Jesus?

Post by neilgodfrey »

rgprice wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:10 am
andrewcriddle wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:19 am verses like 1 Corinthians 12:3
Therefore I want you to understand that no one speaking in the Spirit of God ever says “Jesus is accursed!” and no one can say “Jesus is Lord” except in the Holy Spirit.
are hard to imagine as originally without the name Jesus.

Andrew Criddle
Very true. Either these would be later revisions to the text, or this proposal is wrong and Jesus was in from the beginning.
Is there any early citation or reference to a Pauline text that appears to omit the name of Jesus?

As for any passage where the name is necessary such as the one in 1 Cor 12:3, I think it safest to see how secure such a passage is. 1 Cor 12:3 does not appear to have raised any difficulties in the history of interpretation: https://vridar.org/2014/09/08/list-of-s ... erpolated/
perseusomega9

Post by perseusomega9 »

Therefore I want you to understand that no one speaking in the Spirit of God ever says “Jesus is accursed!” and no one can say “Jesus is Lord” except in the Holy Spirit.

Andrew Criddle
And yet this passage can still be a later development of those who follow a Christ Spirit and have/want nothing to do with the spirit possessed or later man IC. The later syncretists have already combined IC + XC instead of following one or the other.
andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

Also 2 Corinthians 4:10-11
always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our bodies. 11 For we who live are always being given over to death for Jesus’ sake, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our mortal flesh.
2 Corinthians 11:4
For if someone comes and proclaims another Jesus than the one we proclaimed, or if you receive a different spirit from the one you received, or if you accept a different gospel from the one you accepted, you put up with it readily enough.
Galatians 6:17
From now on let no one cause me trouble, for I bear on my body the marks of Jesus.
Philippians 2:10
so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
1 Thessalonians 1:10
and to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead, Jesus who delivers us from the wrath to come.
1 Thessalonians 4:14
For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so, through Jesus, God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep
Andrew Criddle
dbz

Post by dbz »

ABuddhist wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:21 am

Andrew Criddle
But they could have had another name there originally, possibly.
Perhaps ιουργός 'iourgós' a cultic form of δημιουργός 'dimiourgós'.
dbz

Post by dbz »

rgprice wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:08 am Is it possible that the name Jesus has been insert into the Pauline letters? Is it possible that everywhere we now read "Lord Jesus", "Christ Jesus", "the Lord Jesus Christ", etc., originally just said "Lord", "Christ", etc., i.e. "Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Christ."

Would this make sense? Are there passages in which this doesn't make sense? In cases where it doesn't make sense can those passages be explained as later revisions?

Is there any case to be made here at all?
What is the frequency of the words: Lord, Jesus, Christ in each Pauline letter?

I suggest attempting to decompose each MS to its original autograph based upon linguistic computer analysis.
Last edited by dbz on Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
dbz

Post by dbz »

Given the piecemeal nature of the Pauline corpus, have the letters been ranked by how close to the autograph MS they are likely to be?
perseusomega9

Post by perseusomega9 »

These Qunts I tell ya
gmx

Post by gmx »

I'll just restate my earlier view that the absence of textual support for the OP hypothesis (comparing with the Mark 16 situation) adds strongly to the view that references to Jesus in the Pauline Corpus are original.
Paul the Uncertain

Post by Paul the Uncertain »

gmx wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:02 am I'll just restate my earlier view that the absence of textual support for the OP hypothesis (comparing with the Mark 16 situation) adds strongly to the view that references to Jesus in the Pauline Corpus are original.
I hold no brief for the OP (who is, after all, simply asking a question) and I believe that I understand your point about the ending of Mark, but I am unsure whether the situations are closely comparable.

Either the consensus chapter 16 arises by omission of an existing block of text or the canonical and other longer versions arise from extensive prose compositions likely by different authors and visibly in competition with one another for adoption. Adding "Jesus" early and often requires no selectivity and little or no creativity or literary skill.

Further, the competitors to conclude Mark all have ideological constituencies among the "judges" of the competition, the scribes and their sponsors. Women are unreliable (16:8), the post-resurrection appearances may or may not have been only visionary (16:14), or all's well that ends well (16:20), to name three. In contrast, in a competition between a Jesus-free and Jesus-heavy version of the same text, it is plausible that the latter would attract copying resources far more readily from the Christian communities, however diverse they might otherwise be.

Given the combinatorial explosion of ways to add "Jesus" but still preserve some instances of unmodified "Christ," "The Lord," etc., there would almost need to be a single autograph of the variant (an assumption familiar to text critics, but often inconsistent with what we observe among writers and their processes - this would be a case where the assumption wasn't gratuitous). If so, then we wouldn't expect "intermediate forms" nor could we expect to identify Goodacrean "editorial fatigue" in the original innovator's work even if it occurred.

This is an interesting question, then, for those who think carefully about Hitchens's Razor (what can be introduced without evidence can be dismissed without evidence) or look to Popper to define the meets and bounds of scholarship (logicist falsifiability as a prerequisite for admissibility). Fun, too, for those whose idea of rebuttal is to allege "conspiracy theory" when disturbing thoughts present themselves as reasonable questions.

To refresh everyone's recollection about what you wrote.
CW, the mention of the ending of GMark is an interesting parallel.The "last page of Mark" either never existed (intentionally or otherwise) or has been lost (intentionally or otherwise), but 16:9-20 is known to be very early. So if you hold that 16:9-20 is a corruption of the "Original", yet is very early, it is significant that this corruption has not been able to be cleaned up by the "Production Processes" you refer to. The ending of Mark, as far as the manuscript record is concerned, is shambolic. The fact that we do not have this situation with the Paulina lends weight to the argument that the presence of "Jesus" in these documents is original.
gmx

Post by gmx »

Paul the Uncertain wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:57 am
gmx wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:02 am I'll just restate my earlier view that the absence of textual support for the OP hypothesis (comparing with the Mark 16 situation) adds strongly to the view that references to Jesus in the Pauline Corpus are original.
I hold no brief for the OP (who is, after all, simply asking a question) and I believe that I understand your point about the ending of Mark, but I am unsure whether the situations are closely comparable.

Either the consensus chapter 16 arises by omission of an existing block of text or the canonical and other longer versions arise from extensive prose compositions likely by different authors and visibly in competition with one another for adoption. Adding "Jesus" early and often requires no selectivity and little or no creativity or literary skill.

Further, the competitors to conclude Mark all have ideological constituencies among the "judges" of the competition, the scribes and their sponsors. Women are unreliable (16:8), the post-resurrection appearances may or may not have been only visionary (16:14), or all's well that ends well (16:20), to name three. In contrast, in a competition between a Jesus-free and Jesus-heavy version of the same text, it is plausible that the latter would attract copying resources far more readily from the Christian communities, however diverse they might otherwise be.

Given the combinatorial explosion of ways to add "Jesus" but still preserve some instances of unmodified "Christ," "The Lord," etc., there would almost need to be a single autograph of the variant (an assumption familiar to text critics, but often inconsistent with what we observe among writers and their processes - this would be a case where the assumption wasn't gratuitous). If so, then we wouldn't expect "intermediate forms" nor could we expect to identify Goodacrean "editorial fatigue" in the original innovator's work even if it occurred.

This is an interesting question, then, for those who think carefully about Hitchens's Razor (what can be introduced without evidence can be dismissed without evidence) or look to Popper to define the meets and bounds of scholarship (logicist falsifiability as a prerequisite for admissibility). Fun, too, for those whose idea of rebuttal is to allege "conspiracy theory" when disturbing thoughts present themselves as reasonable questions.

To refresh everyone's recollection about what you wrote.
CW, the mention of the ending of GMark is an interesting parallel.The "last page of Mark" either never existed (intentionally or otherwise) or has been lost (intentionally or otherwise), but 16:9-20 is known to be very early. So if you hold that 16:9-20 is a corruption of the "Original", yet is very early, it is significant that this corruption has not been able to be cleaned up by the "Production Processes" you refer to. The ending of Mark, as far as the manuscript record is concerned, is shambolic. The fact that we do not have this situation with the Paulina lends weight to the argument that the presence of "Jesus" in these documents is original.
Fair enough. I take your point.

I would ask, what's more likely?

1/ A set of letters "already existed", addressed to fledgling Christ-Myth communities that referenced "Christ" and "Lord", and we've lost any record of that document lineage. At the same time, a separate community of Jesus-Myth believers happened upon this set of Christ-Myth letters and found them to be completely concordant with their own beliefs, except for the lack of one word, Jesus. They add that word and that's the document lineage we have to this day.

2/ The letters originally mention Jesus.