πίστις Χριστοῦ (faith of Christ) survey question

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
gryan

Re: πίστις Χριστοῦ (faith of Christ) survey question

Post by gryan »

Re: James 2:1-7 (AV)
"My brethren, have not the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory, with respect of persons."

It is interesting to note the shift from the NRSV to the NRSV-ue is a return back to the AV ("faith of"): "a major revision of the NRSV. A three-year process of reviewing and updating the text of the NRSV was announced at the 2017 Annual Meeting of the Society of Biblical Literature.[26] The update was managed by the SBL following an agreement with the copyright-holding NCC. The stated focuses of the review are incorporating advances in textual criticism since the 1989 publication of the NRSV, improving the textual notes, and reviewing the style and rendering of the translation. A team of more than fifty scholars, led by an editorial board, is responsible for the review.[27] It was released for digital purchase on December 25, 2021, with the first print editions following in 2022.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Revis ... n_(NRSVue)

James 2:1 NRSV
My brothers and sisters, do you with your acts of favoritism really believe in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ?

James 2 New Revised Standard Version Updated Edition
Warning against Partiality

"My brothers and sisters, do not claim the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ of glory while showing partiality.

-------

In his commentary on James, Luke T. Johnson writes:

"...the use of Jesus' sayings throughout the composition suggests a meaning like "the faith of Jesus in God as reflected in his teaching," or perhaps "the faith that is from Jesus Christ," in the sense "declared by Jesus." Such an understanding connects 2:1 to the explicit use of the Jesus' saying in 2:5 as well as the "royal law" of 2:8."
gryan

Post by gryan »

I agree with the blogger who wrote this:

The NRSVue chose a simple substitution of the alternate rendering in the textual notes of the original NRSV: “faith of Christ.” As I understand it, this is an easily defensible translation of the Greek grammar without taking the additional interpretive step of rendering “faith” as “faithfulness”:
https://catholicbibletalk.com/2022/10/f ... apocrypha/

Galatians 2:16 NRSVue

"yet we know that a person is justified not by the works of the law but through the faith of Jesus Christ. And we have come to believe in Christ Jesus, so that we might be justified by the faith of Christ and not by doing the works of the law, because no one will be justified by the works of the law."

Compare Galatians 2:16 NET,

"...yet we know that no one is justified by the works of the law but by the faithfulness of Jesus Christ. And we have come to believe in Christ Jesus, so that we may be justified by the faithfulness of Christ and not by the works of the law, because by the works of the law no one will be justified."
lsayre

Post by lsayre »

schillingklaus wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:01 am No, they have not misread Paul as they have forged and faked him deliberately from thin air.
Indeed! The words 'Jesus' and/or 'Jesus Christ' (or 'Christ Jesus') appear to have been forced into all of these passages, with some padding in the form of 'cover ones tracks' insertional lead in cutting followed by lead out (or lead back, or insertion exiting) stitching, inferring as to what must logically have been an earlier, and long lost, and potentially Jewish substrate within the layered Christian evolution of these various of NT 'letter' documents. This is likely to be the case for all of the NT 'letter' documents. And if one is willing to go to such effort whereby to achieve a carefully crafted end game agenda, the fabrication of named characters purported to be their authors arises with but little additional effort.
gryan

Post by gryan »

"...Paul stresses that salvation is by faith in Jesus, or the faithfulness of Jesus--I don't want to get into that sort of thing (some in the audience laugh audibly at Marcus's dismissive tone, but others don't, I suppose, since I would not have laughed)."
Joel Marcus Retirement Lecture, 4 years ago (min. 31:40)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-40svowdYE