Dura Europos

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
neilgodfrey

Re: Dura Europos

Post by neilgodfrey »

StephenGoranson wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:36 pm NG wrote, in part:
"...when you refuse to continually misrepresent me ..."
I guess he meant to write, more or less:
when you continually misrepresent me
or
when you refuse to accurately represent me
Stephen, a charitable fellow human would address a typo to the person who made it so he can correct it.
StephenGoranson

Post by StephenGoranson »

it may be i need lessons in charity.
from you?
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

StephenGoranson wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:14 pm it may be i need lessons in charity.
from you?
And when I decide to become a master of casuistry I will turn to you.
Leucius Charinus

Post by Leucius Charinus »

StephenGoranson wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:39 pm Pete
will you ever get over repeating (re-Pete-ing?)
Clark Hopkins and his (reported) first impressions, while
ignoring sometimes better-informed scads of other later scholars on the subject?
Not holding breath.
There is also reason to suppose Stephen that the further up the hierarchy of biblical scholarship the greater the confirmation bias becomes. Momigliano as a classical scholar refers to them as the "insiders"
StephenGoranson

If, Pete, you are suggesting that all scholars who consider the building to be Christian, are themselves Christian, then you are mistaken.
Leucius Charinus

I did not suggest that. I have suggested that the field of biblical scholarship is not immune to confirmation bias.
StephenGoranson

Pete, can you name a Jewish scholar who claimed that the building in question was Jewish?
Leucius Charinus

StephenGoranson wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:56 pm Pete, can you name a Jewish scholar who claimed that the building in question was Jewish?
Stephen. The proposition that, what we regard at Dura as a type of Christian religious room may actually be a type of Jewish religious room, is a novel claim. AFAIK I am the first to propose this alternate explanation of the evidence.

I do know a Jewish scholar who claimed that the Christian nomina sacra were "individual freaks"

I'd be happy to hear from a Jewish scholar who has the time to examine this matter.

I also asked you earlier whether you are able to find a copy of an article you yourself cited on your published article. Here are the details again:

an article of 1963 by R. de Buisson - "L'inscriptions de la niche centrale de la synagogue de Doura-Europos" (Syria 40) which argues that one artist worked at both the church house and the synagogue. The footnote says: "He claims that two inscriptions in the two buildings refer to the same man (supposedly named Sisa or Siseos)"

Does XPIC refer to Christ" in the The Sisaeus Graffito:
ΤΟΝ ΧΡΙC ΜΝΗCΚΕCΤΕ CΙCΕΟΝ TON ΤAΠΙΝΟΝ

You may recall that I pointed out XPIC as XPIC(TES) a “usual” (meaning the first 4 letters) abbreviation of Χρίστης – Χρίσ[της] - one who colours with whitewash, a whitewasher or stucco-maker.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

You're either seeking after truth or engaged in an partisan pseudo-intellectual war against things you don't even believe exist. What bravery! No wonder these ideas don't catch on. At least Don Quixote was noble. He could be admired.
Leucius Charinus

SA I seek the historical truth of Christian origins, and to this end I have prepared a map of the ancient historical evidence. If you can accept this then you and I and everyone else will be better off.

Image [If the image doesn't load Left click: open image in new tab]