Was Luke a disciple of Marcion?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
lsayre

Was Luke a disciple of Marcion?

Post by lsayre »

Is it a coincidence that Luke is attributed with the authorship of the "Gospel According To Luke", and that this gospel also has strong affinity to Marcion? Per the Catholic Encyclopedia, the name Lucas (Luke) is probably an abbreviation from Lucanus. Marcion is known to have had a disciple named Lucanus, as documented by Tertullian.

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Catholic ... Saint_Luke
rgprice

Re: Was Luke a disciple of Marcion?

Post by rgprice »

Definitely not. The author of GLuke only wrote Luke 1, 2 & 24 and maybe made some minor revisions throughout. Luke 1, 2 & 24 are directly opposed to the rest of the work. They are meant to appropriate counter the original work. The biggest mystery is Luke 3-5, most of which are not a part of Marcion's Gospel. Did those parts come first or were they added later? Either way, Luke is a composite work with at least 3 layers. Much of Luke 3-5 is not a part of Marcion's Gospel, but was also not written by the same person who wrote Luke 1, 2 & 24. Clearly at one point Luke 3, with its genealogy, was the beginning of the Gospel.
lsayre

Post by lsayre »

It may be that a a proto-orthodox catholicizer rather quickly made the additions you mentioned at the time of it's usurpation by this school, but Marcion's disciple Lucanus laid down the original wording of underlying Gospel Of The Lord. More than one has suggested that it was unlikely that Marcion wrote it.
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

lsayre wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:17 pm Marcion's disciple Lucanus laid down the original wording of underlying Gospel of The Lord
Please elaborate & outline
rgprice

Post by rgprice »

It is interesting that Luke is mentioned in Colossians, which is possibly a Marcionite fraud. But I'm not sure how much to make of it.

It is also interesting that Mark is so similar to Marcion while Luke is similar to the name of a disciple of Marcion's. But again, I'm not sure what to make of it.

It is also possible that the original Gospel or that used by Marcion, was associated with Lucanus, and there was also a separate Luke mentioned in the Pauline letters and the orthodox were able to assume or insinuate that the the author of the orthodox version was the Luke of the Pauline letters.

Regardless, as I said, the writer of the canonical GLuke clearly only write Luke 1, 2 & 24, and made revisions to the rest, which had different authors. That "Luke" final writer was definitely not a disciple of Marcion's.
Baley

Post by Baley »

Tertullian calls Marcion a shipmaster. Luke could have had a maritime background too - if we follow The Catholic Encyclopedia:
From his intimate knowledge of the eastern Mediterranean, it has been conjectured that he had lengthened experience as a doctor on board ship. He travailed a good deal, and sends greetings to the Colossians, which seems to indicate that he had visited them.
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

rgprice wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:10 am Definitely not. The author of GLuke only wrote Luke 1, 2 & 24 and maybe made some minor revisions throughout. Luke 1, 2 & 24 are directly opposed to the rest of the work. They are meant to appropriate counter the original work. The biggest mystery is Luke 3-5, most of which are not a part of Marcion's Gospel. Did those parts come first or were they added later? Either way, Luke is a composite work with at least 3 layers. Much of Luke 3-5 is not a part of Marcion's Gospel, but was also not written by the same person who wrote Luke 1, 2 & 24. Clearly at one point Luke 3, with its genealogy, was the beginning of the Gospel.
The author or the compiler of GLuke only wrote the prologue. he added an Infancy narrarive (luke 1,2) to GMarcion or its source. Genealogy and other modifictions were written by later fogers
GakuseiDon

Post by GakuseiDon »

lsayre wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:16 am Is it a coincidence that Luke is attributed with the authorship of the "Gospel According To Luke", and that this gospel also has strong affinity to Marcion?
Interestingly, though perhaps tangentially, It seems nearly all of the Gospels are associated with a heretical group. gLuke with Marcion, gMatthew with the Ebionites, gJohn with the gnostics. I think gMark was also associated with a heretical group though I can't recall offhand which one.
Irish1975

Post by Irish1975 »

GakuseiDon wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:16 am I think gMark was also associated with a heretical group though I can't recall offhand which one.
The Liberals
Ulan

Post by Ulan »

GakuseiDon wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:16 am I think gMark was also associated with a heretical group though I can't recall offhand which one.
Irenaeus is usually said to refer to docetists for some reason. Against Heresies (Book III, Chapter 11, part 7):
"Those, again, who separate Jesus from Christ, alleging that Christ remained impassible, but that it was Jesus who suffered, preferring the Gospel by Mark, if they read it with a love of truth, may have their errors rectified."
https://www.newadvent.org/fathers/0103311.htm