Why don't mythicists condemn Satanism?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
dbz

Re: Why don't mythicists condemn Satanism?

Post by dbz »

John T wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:13 pm Why don't mythicists condemn Satanism? :popcorn:
Is the Boolean historicity of Satan TRUE or FALSE?
or
Is the Statistical historicity of Satan >=50 or <=50%

A non "mentally compromised" mythicist would be unable to condemn or condone Satanism w/o knowing?
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Why don’t mythicists condemn Satanism?
And why doesn't the forum spend enough time proving that Balaam's ass didn't actually speak:
And when the ass saw the angel of the LORD, she thrust herself unto the wall, and crushed Balaam’s foot against the wall: and he smote her again. And the angel of the LORD went further, and stood in a narrow place, where was no way to turn either to the right hand or to the left. And when the ass saw the angel of the LORD, she fell down under Balaam: and Balaam’s anger was kindled, and he smote the ass with a staff. Balaam’s ass sees the angel of the Lord before her, and stops moving, turning off the road. Balaam cannot see the angel, however, and grows angry that his ass has stopped. So he strikes her with his staff. And the LORD opened the mouth of the ass, and she said unto Balaam, What have I done unto thee, that thou hast smitten me these three times? And Balaam said unto the ass, Because thou hast mocked me: I would there were a sword in mine hand, for now would I kill thee. And the ass said unto Balaam, Am not I thine ass, upon which thou hast ridden ever since I was thine unto this day? was I ever wont to do so unto thee? And he said, Nay.
There it is in plain black and white. A talking ass. Let the forum prove it didn't happen.
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

As John Loftus -- an atheist who really was trying to undermine Christianity -- said, the absolutely worst way to try to undermine Christianity is to argue the Christ myth theory. And I long agreed 100%: Is the Christ Myth a Threat to the Christian Faith? (If not, what is?)

And James McGrath seemed to express a parallel sentiment in one lucid moment: James McGrath and I Finally Agree on Mythicism

"Mythicism" is an intellectual curiosity that is attractive to atheists more than Christians for obvious reasons. It is not a "plot to undermine Christianity".
John T

Post by John T »

neilgodfrey wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:15 pm
"Mythicism" is an intellectual curiosity that is attractive to atheists more than Christians for obvious reasons. It is not a "plot to undermine Christianity".
Intellectual atheist? Isn't that what they call an oxymoron?

Perhaps Neil unwittingly exposed the true motive (plot) of the mythicist. It is not to convince Christians that Jesus did not exist but to trick agnostic/useful idiots into joining the cool religion of atheism.

You know, the tenants of Christianity are evil and stupid, how did Chris Hansen say it?...fascist murders. That atheism is moral, intellectual, and cool. You know, woke.

Still, it doesn't explain why Neil and his mythicist friends don't condemn Satanism?

Inquiring minds want to know. :popcorn:
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

John T wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:00 pm
neilgodfrey wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:15 pm
Intellectual atheist? Isn't that what they call an oxymoron?

Perhaps Neil unwittingly exposed the true motive (plot) of the mythicist. It is not to convince Christians that Jesus did not exist but to trick agnostic/useful idiots into joining the cool religion of atheism.

You know, the tenants of Christianity are evil and stupid, how did Chris Hansen say it?...fascist murders. That atheism is moral, intellectual, and cool. You know, woke.

Still, it doesn't explain why Neil and his mythicist friends don't condemn Satanism?

Inquiring minds want to know. :popcorn:
I do have many more believing friends than atheist ones. I'm even married to a god-believer who regularly prays to that god. I actually have written about the good things that religion and faith has done for people. I even wrote of the benefits ex-cult members can take from their cult experiences. fortunately they generally leave behind the arrogance that you and other fundamentalists here of various types demonstrate.

But you have me, John T. I really do have to confess that I don't condemn Satanism because I am a Satanist. I attend black mass and every Friday 13th we sacrifice a baby we have stolen and drink its blood. I confess.

And I'm not even a mythicist! -- whatever that means.
John T

Post by John T »

neilgodfrey wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:26 pm
I do have many more believing friends than atheist ones. I'm even married to a god-believer who regularly prays to that god. I actually have written about the good things that religion and faith has done for people. I even wrote of the benefits ex-cult members can take from their cult experiences. fortunately they generally leave behind the arrogance that you and other fundamentalists here of various types demonstrate.

But you have me, John T. I really do have to confess that I don't condemn Satanism because I am a Satanist. I attend black mass and every Friday 13th we sacrifice a baby we have stolen and drink its blood. I confess.

Your sarcasm is duly noted. A fallacious tactic of those who are deflecting. Meaning, nothing you said was sincere. I got that. We all got that. But if you don't mind, can you be honest here and answer the question: Why don't mythicists condemn Satanism?

Surely, you have discussed this with your atheist/mythicist friends on your blog.

Inquiring minds would like to know.
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

John T wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:34 pm
neilgodfrey wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:26 pm

Your sarcasm is duly noted. A fallacious tactic of those who are deflecting. Meaning, nothing you said was sincere. I got that. We all got that. But if you don't mind, can you be honest here and answer the question: Why don't mythicists condemn Satanism?

Surely, you have discussed this with your atheist/mythicist friends on your blog.

Inquiring minds would like to know.
Inquiring minds (not yours, John T) can read my blog to find out what I think of mythicism:

Is the Christ Myth a Threat to the Christian Faith? (If not, what is?)

James McGrath and I Finally Agree on Mythicism

What is Vridar? -- do note point #4.

Vridar Not a Mythicist Blog

Two persons whose works I have posted about many times and who have taken up my invitation to write their own posts at length actually believe a historical Jesus was at the start of Christianity. But that won't compute for you, John T, since one would need an "enquiring mind" for it to register and see the evidence.
gryan

Post by gryan »

In the above link, neilgodfrey wrote:

Love thy neighbours

"I have Jehovah’s Witness neighbours. They are lovely people. I sometimes feel for them as I see the busy church-centred life-style (it’s part of the program that functions to stop people from thinking independently) they lead. They sometimes say a word to me that I recognize instantly as a subtle “witness for Christ” line. I ignore it. I would never try to undermine their faith. Why? Because I believe in the Golden Rule. Even infants know about that (see my recent post). That doesn’t stop me from posting on what I see as the problems and damage that comes with that faith — but I do that as a public education, in a sense, on this blog or such places so that only those interested in reading it will do so."

--------------

Wow. I didn't expect to read that!

That's like me, only I probably take it farther. JW neighbors knocked on my door once and I asked, "Do you think you could schedule some time to study the Bible together?" I was studying with them weekly for sometimes hours at a visit for more than a year, sometimes with four or five men my age. This was in Baltimore city, and in a mostly African American congregation. I liked the energy of it and they were serious students of the NT.

In fact, I had not thought of this before, but that encounter may have influenced my path in the direction of this forum.
John T

Post by John T »

neilgodfrey wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:44 pm
Inquiring minds (not yours, John T) can read my blog to find out what I think of mythicism:
What a dodge! :facepalm:

Is there any real atheist and/or mythicist on this forum honest enough to answer the question: Why don't mythicists condemn Satanism?

Perhaps we should seek out an honest atheist like Tim O'Neill for the answer?
dbz

Post by dbz »

John T wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:41 pm Perhaps we should seek out an honest atheist ...
LOL, IMO the ahistorical Satan has an orgasm every-time a historicist tells a noble lie for historicity Jesus.