Why don't mythicists condemn Satanism?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
John T

Why don't mythicists condemn Satanism?

Post by John T »

Why don’t mythicists condemn Satanism?

A considerable amount of time is wasted on this forum by atheists and/or mythicists trying to disprove the historicity of Jesus. Seems to me they are going about it all wrong. Wouldn’t it be easier to discredit the tenants of Christianity by pointing out that Satan is a myth as well? Meaning, there is no such thing as evil, let alone a source of evil, i.e. Satan. Mythicists are quick to demonstrate their condemnation for Christianity but for Satanism, not so much.

What’s up with that? :scratch:
rgprice

Re: Why don't mythicists condemn Satanism?

Post by rgprice »

Because this isn't about "debunking Christianity", its about trying to understand the historical development of it.
dbz

Post by dbz »

John T wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:41 am Mythicists are quick to demonstrate their condemnation for Christianity but for Satanism, not so much.

You should first present your (a)historicity probabilities per all the valid historical evidence for a minimal historicity Satan and a minimal ahistoricity Satan. Cf. Carrier 2012. ISBN 978-1-61614-560-6.
John T

Post by John T »

dbz wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:56 am
John T wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:41 am Mythicists are quick to demonstrate their condemnation for Christianity but for Satanism, not so much.

You should first present your (a)historicity probabilities per all the valid historical evidence for a minimal historicity Satan and a minimal ahistoricity Satan. Cf. Carrier 2012. ISBN 978-1-61614-560-6.
Already have. Been there and done that. Using the method applied by Carrier, the Bayesian Theorem probability of Satan is 123.4%. Or what ever percentage you want. :cheeky:

Carrier garbage in, Carrier garbage out. :tombstone:

So, tell us, why doesn't Carrier condemn Satanism? :scratch:
dbz

Post by dbz »

John T wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:35 am Already have. Been there and done that. Using the method applied by Carrier, the Bayesian Theorem probability...
So what is the valid historical evidence you adduced and/or that was applied?

Heilig, Christoph (27 March 2019). "What Bayesian Reasoning Can and Can't Do for Biblical Research". Zürich New Testament Blog.
If you want to know what Bayes’s theorem is and how it might affect the way we construct arguments, I would strongly encourage you to simply watch this 10-minute-video. If you have never heard of Bayes, trust me, it is an excellent investment of your time!
John T

Post by John T »

dbz wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:59 am
So what is the valid historical evidence you adduced and/or that was applied?
Your refusal to answer the original question is duly noted.
I have already dealt with Carrier's subjective misapplication of Bayes's theorem on this forum years ago. You can try to get me to go on your fool's errand but as I said before, been there done that. :tombstone:

Perhaps you would do better with sticking to the question at hand rather than using the fallacy of the red herring. Just a thought. :cheers:
dbz

Post by dbz »

John T wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:07 am I have already dealt with Carrier's subjective misapplication of Bayes's theorem on this forum years ago. You can try to get me to go on your fool's errand but as I said before, been there done that. :tombstone:
John T wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:35 am Using the method applied by Carrier, the Bayesian Theorem probability of Satan is 123.4%.
If you applied Bayesian probability to the (a)Historicity of Satan. Then you should be able to provide a URL link to the list of the valid historical evidence you adduced and/or that was applied. Or just copy it here.
John T

Post by John T »

dbz wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:32 am
John T wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:07 am I have already dealt with Carrier's subjective misapplication of Bayes's theorem on this forum years ago. You can try to get me to go on your fool's errand but as I said before, been there done that. :tombstone:
John T wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:35 am Using the method applied by Carrier, the Bayesian Theorem probability of Satan is 123.4%.
If you applied Bayesian probability to the (a)Historicity of Satan. Then you should be able to provide a URL link to the list of the valid historical evidence you adduced and/or that was applied. Or just copy it here.
How about you waste your time and look it up yourself? After all, you defaulted to the informal fallacy of the Red Herring, not me. Better yet, you run the probability for yourself and tell us what you get (be sure to show your work). Or if fake math is too hard for you, just ask Carrier, I'm sure he is willing to get right on that for you.

Until then, you are dismissed. :facepalm:
dbz

Post by dbz »

My Bayesian Theorem probability in the (a)Historicity that @"John T" has a "Bayesian Theorem probability of Satan is 123.4%" with the correct application of valid historical evidence and no reliance on invalid historical evidence is ~33.3 for historicity and ~66.6% for ahistoricity.
John T

Post by John T »

dbz wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:00 pm My Bayesian Theorem probability in the (a)Historicity that @"John T" has a "Bayesian Theorem probability of Satan is 123.4%" with the correct application of valid historical evidence and no reliance on invalid historical evidence is ~33.3 for historicity and ~66.6% for ahistoricity.
There you go. See, using Carrier's fake subjective values and misapplication of the Bayesian Theorem makes it easy to say whatever you want. :cheers:

Now, how about returning to the original question?

Why don't mythicists condemn Satanism? :popcorn: