Why don't mythicists condemn Satanism?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
lsayre

Re: Why don't mythicists condemn Satanism?

Post by lsayre »

John T, since Satan works as an agent of God (witness Job) why would any believer condemn him (her, it, ...)?
schillingklaus

Post by schillingklaus »

John T is hallucinating once again. There is no such thing as Satan in the Book of Genesis, and nowhere in the OT or DSS is it an origin of evil.
lsayre

Post by lsayre »

Satan seems to be more of a title (or job, as in work, title), or an occupation, as opposed to being a name. The transliteration 'Ha-Satan' means "The Satan". 'Ha-Satan' (when more fully translated) effectively means something along the line of 'The Challenger', or 'The Accuser'.
lsayre

Post by lsayre »

It wasn't Ha-Satan who killed everyone in a flood, or sent people out to get killed off in war so someone could steal their wife, or killed people for emissions that miss the target, or rained fire and brimstone down upon cities, or turned people into pillars of salt, or killed people just for looking at him, etc...

In Isaiah 45:7 God states, “I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD (I.E., God) do all these things.”

John T, do you oppose/hate/reject evil?
dbz

Post by dbz »

lsayre wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:37 am John T, do you oppose/hate/reject evil?
A sophisticated first_CE Platonist (i.e. middle platonic) would understand evil in the same way that something being “cold”—can be understood as merely the absence of heat. All (Loddy, Doddy, and Everybody) have the potential to be good in the same way that every atom—understood as a ball on the classical (pre QT) Newtonian billiard table universe—has the potential to have heat. Thus a person is evil if they are not living their full human potential. As the bible says; since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, “men abandoned natural relations with women and burned with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men … They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed, and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, and malice.” because they are ‘COLD’ (i.e. not fulfilling their potential to be good), thus have “a depraved mind, to do what ought not to be done.” Cf. Romans 1:28

Adamson nails it in "Plotinus on Evil". YouTube. "Peter Adamson discussion Plotinus's philosophy on the conception of evil."
What Middle-Platonism does decisively .. is to push from dualism in a monistic direction
Lecture by Arthur Holmes per course, "A History of Philosophy"

Wheaton College, Illinois.
dbz

Post by dbz »

John T wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:41 am Why don’t mythicists condemn Satanism?
[. . .]
What’s up with that? :scratch:
Does the Jaunty "John T" condemn the child abuse that Paul alludes to in Hellenistic Judaism? :scratch: