What does Ctus mean?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
neilgodfrey

What does Ctus mean?

Post by neilgodfrey »

The article is in Spanish. "Ctus." keeps appearing and it's bugging me. Can somebody help out, please?
Tales datos no son únicos. El Cristo Superior figura muchas veces y en idéntico sentido. Es el Sursum Christus, Susum Ctus., Superior Ctus., De superioribus Ctus., In superioribus Ctus., Desuper Ctus., o simplemente el Cristo Eón del Pleroma valentiniano 11.

11 Véase el index de Sagnard SCh. 34 p. 452 donde van recogidos únicamente los términos que figuran en el libro III adv. haer.
In the index is this entry:
Christus ║ Superior 162 ss. / su crucifixión 168 ss. 173 ss. / ley de μίμησις en la crucifixión 169 s. / Animalis: su crucifixión 170 / Superior Ctus. = Primus Homo 187
  • Orbe, Antonio. Los primeros herejes ante la persecución. Analecta Gregoriana. Romae: Apud aedes Universitatis Gregorianae, 1956.
It looks like an abbreviation for Christ but I'm looking for something definite to pin it down. Thanks.
StephenGoranson

Re: What does Ctus mean?

Post by StephenGoranson »

Apparently, Christus?
From sentence context. From hathitrust.org searches. From Irenaeus text.
And from F. Sagnard's 1952 edition?
StephenGoranson

Did the above adequately reply to your question? It's hard to know if you don't respond.
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

StephenGoranson wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:52 am Did the above adequately reply to your question? It's hard to know if you don't respond.
Unfortunately, no. It does not tell me exactly what Ctus. is an abbreviation of. I does look like something to do with Christ or Christ itself, but I was looking for something concrete and definite. Is it a reference to a Spanish or Latin term? Other?

Presumably neither the hathitrust search nor the Sangard ref to which you refer gave a definitive answer. Hathi trust texts are often not available outside the U.S. and I don't know what terms you were suggesting. Did you mean I should try entering Irenaeus as a search term? What was the Sangard '52 a eference to? A title would help.

I did not think you were expecting a reply because your response seemed to be as indecisive as my OP and which is why I am asking for something definitive.
StephenGoranson

Christus
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

StephenGoranson wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:49 pm Christus
But how do you know? Is there an "authority" to confirm that? ;)

The more I look at how it is used it does make the most sense that it is short for Christus. It appears in my first quote after Christus has been written in full and then a series of titles follows that read Ctus. where we at first expected to read Christus. And in the second quote Ctus. again appears after an earlier reference to Christus, and it again appears where we expect to find Christus.

Since I have been unable to find any explanation for the abbreviation, I am taking a bit of a risk, but an educated one (from both of us) that it is an abbreviation of Christus that is taken for granted in scholarship among ecclesiastics who regularly slip into passages of Latin -- as Orbe certainly does.
StephenGoranson

Irenaeus, book 3, as informed above, twice.
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

StephenGoranson wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:03 pm Irenaeus, book 3, as informed above, twice.
Omg, Stephen, just when I thought you were being civil and polite.

Sorry, but I seem to have a sight defect and am unable to see where you "twice" referred to book 3 of Irenaeus -- and nor do I see how that would help with with understanding the abbreviation. Such a simpleton I am I know, but please help me.
StephenGoranson

Was it uncivil and impolite to offer to try to help, to refer to Irenaeus, book 3 ?!

The OP quotation refers to adv. haer, iii, which is by Irenaeus.

Among the several available editions (the following one from WorldCat):

Contre les hérésies, Livre III :
mise en lumière et réfutation de la prétendue "connaissance" /
Irenaeus, Saint Bishop of Lyon.; François Louis Marie Matthieu Sagnard

1952 Ed. critique.
French Book Book 480 pages : facsimiles ; 21 cm.
Paris : Éditions du Cerf,
Get This Item
Availability: Check the catalogs in your library.
Libraries worldwide that own item: 36 (2 Committed to Retain)

Find Related
More Like This: Search for versions with same title and author | Advanced options ...
Find Items About: Adversus haereses (340); Irenaeus, (1,820)
Title:
Uniform Title: Adversus haereses. French & Latin
Author(s): Irenaeus, Saint, Bishop of Lyon.
Sagnard, François Louis Marie Matthieu, ; ed. and trans.
Publication: Paris : Éditions du Cerf,
Edition: Ed. critique.
Year: 1952
Description: 480 pages : facsimiles ; 21 cm.
Language: French
Series: Sources chrétiennes ;; 34; Variation: Sources chrétiennes ;; 34.
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

StephenGoranson wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:50 am Was it uncivil and impolite to offer to try to help, to refer to Irenaeus, book 3 ?!
Most certainly not! It was most civil and kind of you. That's why I was pretty shocked and taken aback at your rude response when I tried to respond to your follow up question and you spoke so rudely to me for daring to not read your mind.

In future, Stephen, I would prefer you to simply ignore my requests for assistance. They won't be directed to you.
StephenGoranson wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:50 am
The OP quotation refers to adv. haer, iii, which is by Irenaeus.

Among the several available editions (the following one from WorldCat):

Irenaeus, Saint Bishop of Lyon.; François Louis Marie Matthieu Sagnard

1952 Ed. critique.
French Book Book 480 pages : facsimiles ; 21 cm.
Paris : Éditions du Cerf,
Get This Item
Availability: Check the catalogs in your library.
Libraries worldwide that own item: 36 (2 Committed to Retain)

Find Related
More Like This: Search for versions with same title and author | Advanced options ...
Find Items About: Adversus haereses (340); Irenaeus, (1,820)
Title:
Uniform Title: Adversus haereses. French & Latin
Author(s): Irenaeus, Saint, Bishop of Lyon.
Sagnard, François Louis Marie Matthieu, ; ed. and trans.
Publication: Paris : Éditions du Cerf,
Edition: Ed. critique.
Year: 1952
Description: 480 pages : facsimiles ; 21 cm.
Language: French
Series: Sources chrétiennes ;; 34; Variation: Sources chrétiennes ;; 34.
I am not looking for editions of Irenaeus but for a particular abbreviation in a Spanish publication. There is no reason to believe from the references I gave that Ctus. will appear in any of the works you cited -- not to mention the fact that Sangard is not available in Australian libraries and postal rules have led to libraries here no longer importing loans from overseas -- .... they might tell me the meaning of the abbreviation but it is not an economical way to search:

A trained professional librarian would assist me with a more rationally targeted search (I can show you how to do that but i thought it would save much time by asking someone who might know on this forum) -- next time I will bypass the rude library assistant and look for a professional trained in client service and client relations in information searches.