Jean Pain: ‎Jésus, dieu de la Pâque

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Re: Jean Pain: ‎Jésus, dieu de la Pâque

Post by Giuseppe »

Jesus never existed.

Mais si le christianisme s'est constitué autour du sacrifice d'un agneau qui, chargé des péchés de la secte, encourait à sa place la malédiction divine, la légende, en s'évhémérisant, devait naturellement faire périr le Messie de la manière humaine correspondante, c'est-à-dire du supplice le plus ignominieux.

(Jean Pain, Jésus dieu de la Pâque, p. 246)
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Solomon Reinach (S.R.) reviewed the Jean Pain's book.
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

Giuseppe wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:29 am
L'idée que le messianisme se trouve impliqué dans le rite de la Pâque m'a été suggérée par M. le Dr Paul-Louis Couchoud.

(Jean Pain, Jésus dieu de la Pâque, p. 238, n. 1)

The argument is very powerful, that Jesus/Joshua was identified with the Angel DESTRUCTOR sent by YHWH to kill the Egyptians. Now it is explained definitely why the same Angel is both a Lamb and a celestial Warrior in the Book of Revelation.

The book of Jean Pain must to be soon digitalized to reach the largest audience.
I have uploaded it to archive.org https://archive.org/details/pain-paque/mode/2up

I made it "public domain" after searching for the author's date of death and not finding it anywhere --- I'm assuming he's been dead for 70 years by now so there will be no problem with copyright.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

neilgodfrey wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:16 am
L'idée que le messianisme se trouve impliqué dans le rite de la Pâque m'a été suggérée par M. le Dr Paul-Louis Couchoud.

The argument is very powerful, that Jesus/Joshua was identified with the Angel DESTRUCTOR sent by YHWH to kill the Egyptians. Now it is explained definitely why the same Angel is both a Lamb and a celestial Warrior in the Book of Revelation.

The book of Jean Pain must to be soon digitalized to reach the largest audience.
I have uploaded it to archive.org https://archive.org/details/pain-paque/mode/2up
thank you, Neil! :cheers:
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

Giuseppe wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:23 am
neilgodfrey wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:16 am

thank you, Neil! :cheers:
From what I've read so far it looks like Jean Pain's explanation for the origins of Christianity are very similar to the ideas I have been entertaining. A main difference is that I see the Jewish Wars as catalysts. The "passover" was in some way identified with the Jewish nation. The idea emerged after the first Jewish War but the narrative itself after the second.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

neilgodfrey wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:52 amA main difference is that I see the Jewish Wars as catalysts.
Probably Pain opts for a pre-70 origin because of the singular coincidence of the "Angel of the Lord" or Angel Destructor (killer of the Egyptian firstborns) in Exodus resembling so strictly in nuce what the OT Joshua would have personified shortly after. The impression I have is that the author himself of Exodus had these similarities in mind, so probably an angel called Joshua/Jesus was already adored in pre-christian times.
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

Giuseppe wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:01 am
neilgodfrey wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:52 amA main difference is that I see the Jewish Wars as catalysts.
Probably Pain opts for a pre-70 origin because of the singular coincidence of the "Angel of the Lord" or Angel Destructor (killer of the Egyptian firstborns) in Exodus resembling so strictly in nuce what the OT Joshua would have personified shortly after. The impression I have is that the author himself of Exodus had these similarities in mind, so probably an angel called Joshua/Jesus was already adored in pre-christian times.
This question has probably been done to death here, so maybe you can point me to an appropriate thread. The difficulty I have with a thesis of a "pre-Christian Jesus cult" is the lack of evidence for it. Or am I overlooking something?
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

neilgodfrey wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:21 pmThe difficulty I have with a thesis of a "pre-Christian Jesus cult" is the lack of evidence for it. Or am I overlooking something?
no, my point was more modestly that the connections and similarities signaled by Jean Pain, within the text of Exodus, between the "Angel Destructor" (or "Angel of the Lord") and the OT Joshua are enough visible for the possibility that they could be inferred/made explicit by someone even before the 70 CE.