Calling Jesus "Yehoshua"

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
gryan

Calling Jesus "Yehoshua"

Post by gryan »

When did Christians start calling Jesus "Yehoshua"?

From Hebrew to Greek:

The Hebrew term, יְהוֹשׁוּעַ Yehoshua becomes Ἰησοῦς, Iēsoús in LXX Greek and in the NT twice in reference to OT "Joshua":

Acts 7:45
After receiving the tabernacle, our ancestors under Joshua (Ἰησοῦ) brought it with them when they took the land from the nations God drove out before them. It remained in the land until the time of David,

Hebrews 4:8
For if Joshua (Ἰησοῦς) had given them rest, God would not have spoken later about another day.

The exact same Greek word, Ἰησοῦς, Iēsoús is the NT name for "Jesus".

From Greek back to Hebrew:

Thus, currently, it is often said that the NT "Jesus" (Gk Ἰησοῦς) can be called "Yehoshua"!

My question is this:

What is the earliest documented instance of the NT figure of "Jesus" (Ἰησοῦς) being referred to by the Hebrew language name, Yehoshua (יְהוֹשׁוּעַ)?
Secret Alias

Re: Calling Jesus "Yehoshua"

Post by Secret Alias »

Unless I am misunderstanding your question the original LXX translation of the Book of Exodus is the translation in one direction (Hebrew to Greek). The other way not sure there is an example. Yehoshua to Jesus. Yeshua was more common I imagine.
gryan

Post by gryan »

Secret Alias wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:07 pm Unless I am misunderstanding your question the original LXX translation of the Book of Exodus is the translation in one direction (Hebrew to Greek). The other way not sure there is an example. Yehoshua to Jesus. Yeshua was more common I imagine.
I wonder if documentation of Christians calling Jesus "Yehoshua" might not exist until in the modern era.
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

gryan wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:47 am The Hebrew term, יְהוֹשׁוּעַ Yehoshua becomes Ἰησοῦς, Iēsoús in LXX Greek ...
And the Greek, Ἰησοῦς / Iēsoús, became IESVS/IESUS in Latin (and eventually Jesus in English after 'J' enter the English alphabet)

There's a lot more in Wikipedia here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_%28 ... #Etymology
  • (fwiw, I preserved an older version of that section here viewtopic.php?p=23187#p23187)
    eg.

the Hebrew form יְהוֹשֻׁעַ Yehoshua / Joshua... a theophoric name first mentioned within the Biblical tradition in Exodus 17:9...is usually considered to be a compound of two parts: יהו Yeho, a theophoric reference to YHWH, the name of the God of Israel; plus Hosea, a form derived from the Hebrew triconsonantal root y-š-ʕ or י-ש-ע : Numbers 13:16, "to liberate, save"

It seems to have become more than convenient, especially in English (and perhaps in other [Western] European languages), wrt both (i) the name per se and (ii) the OT and NT entities, to distinguish Jesus from Joshua ie. it's probably been useful theologically, at least

gryan wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:47 am
From Greek back to Hebrew:
Thus, currently, it is often said that the NT "Jesus" (Gk Ἰησοῦς) can be called "Yehoshua"!

I don't recall seeing that said.
So, like SA, I am not aware of any "documented instance of the NT figure of "Jesus" (Ἰησοῦς) being referred to by the Hebrew language name, Yehoshua (יְהוֹשׁוּעַ)"
gryan

Post by gryan »

RE: Some who advocate for the practice of calling Jesus "Yehoshua"

I found this while googling:
https://free.messianicbible.com/feature ... of-yeshua/
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

gryan wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:54 pm
RE: Some who advocate for the practice of calling Jesus "Yehoshua"

I found this while googling:
https://free.messianicbible.com/feature ... of-yeshua/

Yes, there are 'Messianic Jews' (eg. 'Jews for Jesus'). See that website's 'About Us' page"

What we do

First and foremost, our mission is ministering to Jewish people with love and comfort.

.....“Comfort, comfort my people (Israel), says your God,” Isaiah 40

Located in the Holy Land, the Bibles For Israel ministry is producing the first-ever Messianic Prophecy Bible.

We educate Jewish people on the prophecies about the Messiah in the Tanakh (Hebrew Scriptures), showing the truths by defining the Messianic and rabbinical points of view.

... we [are] creating the free Messianic Prophecy Bible in print form ...

...< . . omitted . . >

...For out of Zion shall go forth the Torah and the Word of LORD (YHVH)
...from Jerusalem.”
Isaiah 2:3

https://free.messianicbible.com/about-us/

(A lot of Christians think the Hebrew Bible also gives accounts of 'Jesus', which many Christians say Jews did not recognise)
rgprice

Post by rgprice »

See this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_in_ ... e%20Yeshua.

"The name used in the Talmud is 'Yeshu'"

Although I think there are still questions around this.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Irenaeus is understood to have said this AH 2.22
lclapshaw

Post by lclapshaw »

Looking up the two passages given by the OP, in Sinaiticus, I find that the abbreviations IC and IY are being used. Does anyone know what the earliest copies of Acts 7:45 and Hebrews 4:8 are? I would like to see how the name is rendered in them.

Thanks

Lane
rgprice

Post by rgprice »

lclapshaw wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:44 pm Looking up the two passages given by the OP, in Sinaiticus, I find that the abbreviations IC and IY are being used. Does anyone know what the earliest copies of Acts 7:45 and Hebrews 4:8 are? I would like to see how the name is rendered in them.

Thanks

Lane
https://apps.lib.umich.edu/reading/Paul ... sacra.html

ιηϲ (Jesus)