Richard Carrier about Robert M. Price's view

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Richard Carrier about Robert M. Price's view

Post by Giuseppe »

It surprises me that Carrier criticizes Bob Price for the latter's view about the presence of an old belief in a pre-creation crucifixion of Jesus:

Price does this again in Chapter 14, like when he proposes an elaborate theory based on so-called “Gnostic” teachings about a primordial crucifixion of Jesus (pp. 333-34): he cites no primary sources nor any modern scholarship on the narrative that he relies on, again rendering this entire section essentially useless to readers. It’s also not very logical—Paul says the crucifixion of Jesus, occurring just three days before his resurrection (1 Corinthians 15:3-4), had started the recent, not ancient, doomsday clock (Christ is “the firstfruits” of the general resurrection, proving the end was now at hand: 1 Corinthians 15:20-28) and only recently unlocked powers against Satan and his forces (Romans 5:13-14, Hebrews 9-10, Romans 8, 2 Corinthians 3, etc.); and of course Jesus cannot have been the “Seed of David” or “Root of Jesse” or “predicted to come” in Scripture when he died, if he died thousands of years before David, Jesse, and those Scriptures even existed (Galatians 3:16-29, Romans 1:1-3, 3:21-26, 15:12, 1 Corinthians 2:6-10, etc.). His chapters still sport many good arguments besides these. But by indiscriminately mixing sound arguments with bad arguments, these chapters do not come out well.

It is also true that Bob Price reiterates that point (= Jesus's crucifixion before the creation) but never he lists his evidence to think so. I am not talking about Revelation 13:8 (that yet is important), but about the Valentinian belief of the crucifixion in outer space of the superior Christ.

Until now, I have seen only Jean Magne quoting the Valentinians to conclude explicitly that their belief in a celestial crucifixion of the superior Christ was the earliest belief about the death of Jesus.