Conflict Zone Artefacts

All other informal historical discussion, ancient or modern, falls here. This includes the topics of Islam, Buddhism, and other religious traditions.
billd89

Conflict Zone Artefacts

Post by billd89 »

Maybe it's 'looting.' Personally, I don't like that term; it doesn't feel right for abandoned 'stuff' (philosophically, dead 'people' aren't (viz., corpses are not 'people'); 'they' cannot own 'property') -- rival claims should default to actual heir designees & living finders, not lineage chains of dead (& purported) 'owners'. I realize mine is an extreme minority opinion: basically, 'finders, keepers.' So I have no problem w/ poor goatherders selling what's dug up on their lands. And I also have no problem w/ a free market in Antiquities. Libertarian!

Lots of details in this story intrigue me:
https://www.artnews.com/art-news/news/a ... 234703511/

In 2018, Vanity Fair Spain published a feature detailing how Bagot Peix was under police scrutiny for allegedly acquiring artifacts looted from Libya in a scheme that financially benefited the Islamic State.

As I suspected, the Egyptian piece was 'looted' from Cyrene; I suspect it's from the sarcophagus of a dead Jewess. The condition is extraordinary tho ... hmmm. Fake?