Georgia Guidestones demolished

All other informal historical discussion, ancient or modern, falls here. This includes the topics of Islam, Buddhism, and other religious traditions.

Moderator: JoeWallack

John T

Re: Georgia Guidestones demolished

Post by John T »

ABuddhist wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:33 am
Many thanks for your patience.

I do think that it is immoral for left-wing terrorists to fire bomb the offices of pro-life groups...
...The noble truth within Buddhism which condemns left-wing terrorists for firebombing the offices of pro-life groups is the fourth noble truth..
Good to hear that you are against left-wing terrorists activities. Unlike the Biden administration and the liberal media.
However, it is the under the ten non-virtues of the 2nd noble truth that killing and stealing is wrong.

I would recommend that you review and reapply the Ten Virtues of Buddhism especially when it comes to speech.

Do that and we can get along just fine. :cheers:

https://www.namchak.org/community/blog/ ... n-virtues/
ABuddhist

Post by ABuddhist »

John T wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:52 am
However, it is the under the ten non-virtues of the 2nd noble truth that killing and stealing is wrong.

I would recommend that you review and reapply the Ten Virtues of Buddhism especially when it comes to speech.

Do that and we can get along just fine. :cheers:

https://www.namchak.org/community/blog/ ... n-virtues/
I say in return the following.

1. Your words do not refute my analysis of how it is from the fourth noble truth that various actions are bad, nor do they reveal that the interpretative framework which you advance is an essential component of being a Buddhist. Of course, because being Buddhist is defined by faith in the three jewels (Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha), different frameworks for defining the same actions as wrong do not mean that one who uses 1 framework rather than another is not a Buddhist. After all, Buddhist canons and assessments of canonical teachings differ so much that a divergence in frameworks for defining the same actions as wrong is insignificant

2. The Buddhist website which you linked to me is for Tibetan Buddhism, which is as foreign to me (even as I respect it as Buddhism) as the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church is to you as a Christian. After all, Tibetan Buddhism and the Orthodox Tewahedo Church both have larger canons than our respective traditions (Theravada Buddhism for me, American Protestant Christianity for you). Tibetan Buddhism and the Orthodox Tewahedo Church both teach doctrines which to our respective traditions seems strange and heretical (condemning teachings leading to arhatship for me, Miaphysitism for you).

3. You also can benefit from practising the virtues of speech and avoiding the non-virtues of speech. By this, I mean that you should avoid harsh and divisive speech (such as accusing me and others of being trolls or liars) and instead try to reconcile various people and use pleasant words.
John T

Post by John T »

ABuddhist wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:36 am
...You also can benefit from practising the virtues of speech and avoiding the non-virtues of speech. By this, I mean that you should avoid harsh and divisive speech (such as accusing me and others of being trolls or liars) and instead try to reconcile various people and use pleasant words.
Go and do likewise. :cheers:
John T

Post by John T »

Theravada Buddhism is an attempt to move past the things that make life hard. The people are peaceful and do not want conflict with others. They do not try to force their way of thinking on anyone but regard it instead as a free choice that all may make. The monks do lead very secluded lives away from their families and friends, but there are many who meditate and dwell on the deeper things of the world while staying within it.

https://buddhists.org/theravada-buddhism/
ABuddhist

Post by ABuddhist »

John T wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:28 am Theravada Buddhism is an attempt to move past the things that make life hard. The people are peaceful and do not want conflict with others. They do not try to force their way of thinking on anyone but regard it instead as a free choice that all may make. The monks do lead very secluded lives away from their families and friends, but there are many who meditate and dwell on the deeper things of the world while staying within it.

https://buddhists.org/theravada-buddhism/
1. With all due respect, the source which you quote from ignores the following facts: the 19th and 20th century Bhikkhu Dhammaloka (who had been born in Ireland before converting to Buddhism and going to Burma in order to ordain as a Theravada Buddhist monk) refuted the claim that an uncreated creator god exists in arguments against Christian missionaries that are collected in the book "The Irish Buddhist: The Forgotten Monk Who Faced Down the British Empire"; the Theravada Buddhist monk Migettuwatte Gunananda Thera and other Theravada Buddhists successfully debated against Christian missionaries in the Panadura debate against Christians in 1873; the Theravada Buddhist scripture "Milinda Panha" records a debate between the Buddhist monk Nāgasena and the Indo-Greek king Menander I (Pali: Milinda) of Bactria in which Nāgasena refutes Milinda's anti-Buddhist arguments and converts him to Buddhism; the Theravada Buddhist scripture Kathāvatthu records a series of debates between Theravada Buddhists and other Buddhists in which the Theravada Buddhists were successful in refuting their opponents' views.

2. Galatians 5:22–23 — King James Version: "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law." Maybe you should display such traits more when interacting here.