Documentary Hypothesis

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
StephenGoranson

Re: Documentary Hypothesis

Post by StephenGoranson »

I gave a link to a recording of the 2022 Zurich Schmid IOSOT presentation.
Maybe listen before declaring it has "no relevance"?
Russell Gmirkin

Post by Russell Gmirkin »

StephenGoranson wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:52 am I gave a link to a recording of the 2022 Zurich Schmid IOSOT presentation.
I couldn't get the link to work. But I am leaving the door open in case Schmid ventured into the twenty-first century in his presentation. Perhaps you can summarize his remarks on Greek influences on the Hebrew Bible in the Hellenistic Era. As of 2021, he was oblivious to the secondary literature on the topic.
Russell Gmirkin

Russell Gmirkin wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:32 pm
StephenGoranson wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:52 am I gave a link to a recording of the 2022 Zurich Schmid IOSOT presentation.
I couldn't get the link to work. But I am leaving the door open in case Schmid ventured into the twenty-first century in his presentation. Perhaps you can summarize his remarks on Greek influences on the Hebrew Bible in the Hellenistic Era. As of 2021, he was oblivious to the secondary literature on the topic.
However, I notice you ducked the question about what books and articles of mine you have read since 2006. Was that an accident or did you intend to respond someday?
StephenGoranson

Though I cannot speak for Konrad Schmid--and I agree with you that I could not get the link to work today--I say it is possible that he may possibly be unpersuaded rather than being "oblivious."
Russell Gmirkin

StephenGoranson wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:57 pm Though I cannot speak for Konrad Schmid--and I agree with you that I could not get the link to work today--I say it is possible that he may possibly be unpersuaded rather than being "oblivious."
That disingenuous remark is definitively ruled out by the fact that his discussion of the Hellenistic Era research paradigm--even in the article "How to Identify a Persian Period Text in the Pentateuch" (!)--is around three sentences long and only cites Lemche 1993! I raised this issue in a discussion group he held on Academia.edu this summer and he declined to reply. Frankly, I think you are better read than he is (!!!), since at least you gave Gmirkin 2006 a once-over, although apparently nothing since.
Last edited by Russell Gmirkin on Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
StephenGoranson

Again, I cannot speak for Konrad Schmid.
I do not see how my remark was "disingenuous."
(Do you mean "Academia.edu"?--though sadly perhaps misnamed.)
What-all he has read I don't claim to know. I would guess the IOSOT president might have been aware of some of your publications, but just a guess.
Gmirkin 2006, I can say, again, is not all I read.

Added:
"...definitively ruled out...."
??
Writers do not always cite everything encountered.
Plus:
some publications take a long time to appear.
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

Russell Gmirkin wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:57 pm I'd be happy to engage . . .
A related question: In Gospel discussions one sometimes encounters the view that because Genesis is scarcely referenced in the gospels it (Genesis) is thought to be of such a late date that it lacked the authoritative status of the other OT books. Comment?
Russell Gmirkin

StephenGoranson wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:41 pm ...
Gmirkin 2006, I can say, again, is not all I read.
Nobody cares that you have read my 1996 and 1998 articles on the War Scroll in Dead Sea Discoveries.

I asked you very specifically whether you have read Gmirkin 2014, 2016, 2017, 2020a, 2020b, 2020c, 2022a or 2022b. You keep ducking the question, because you are avoiding an honest reply that you haven't read any of my substantial research since 2006. I have published tons of additional evidence since then regarding Greek influences on the Hebrew Bible which you are apparently too afraid to read, or perhaps too lazy. In any case, it is academically dishonest to say you are unpersuaded by research that you refuse to read.

I find it highly ironic that you are a librarian who cannot be persuaded to pick up a book.
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

Russell Gmirkin wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:14 am I find it highly ironic that you are a librarian who cannot be persuaded to pick up a book.
SG is very quick to pick up on any perceived inaccuracies in statements by RG or NG here so no doubt we can expect to see a correction notice if he is not actually a professional librarian.
Russell Gmirkin

neilgodfrey wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:04 am
Russell Gmirkin wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:14 am I find it highly ironic that you are a librarian who cannot be persuaded to pick up a book.
SG is very quick to pick up on any perceived inaccuracies in statements by RG or NG here so no doubt we can expect to see a correction notice if he is not actually a professional librarian.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with being a librarian. It's a noble profession. My Acknowledgments page in Plato and the Creation of the Hebrew Bible included the research librarian who handled my various exotic requests.

librarian.jpg
librarian.jpg (170.65 KiB) Viewed 565 times
(Stephen Goranson, Duke University)