Documentary Hypothesis

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
Secret Alias

Re: Documentary Hypothesis

Post by Secret Alias »

neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

Secret Alias wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:39 pm https://youtu.be/NY-l0X7yGY0

Oh my god... don't let SG see this -- it's a Jewish presenter daring to actually erase Jewish traditions!!! What? No united kingdom? Antisemitism and self-hating Jews know no bounds!!! ;-)
StephenGoranson

Post by StephenGoranson »

To correct one of neilgodfrey's misrepresentations:
I, SG, do not consider that video by Matt Baker on the Torah--Torah composed over centuries in the different views presented there--to be antisemitic.
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

StephenGoranson wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:09 am To correct one of neilgodfrey's misrepresentations:
I, SG, do not consider that video by Matt Baker on the Torah--Torah composed over centuries in the different views presented there--to be antisemitic.
Oh dear oh dear.... It was a joke, SG. The joke depended on the obviousness (at least to everyone else, me included) that you would never in a million years think that the Jew denying the historicity of certain Jewish traditions was being antisemitic.

But you would need to have a certain level of self-awareness to recognize a joke when it is made at your expense.

I should have realized you lack sufficient self-awareness when you failed to see the joke in my earlier "Eeek .. New Idea .. kill it" remark.

Have a laugh. You don't have to be charging on your horse and lowering your lance with deadly intent every time you see "a wrong idea" surfacing like a giant windmill here. ;)
StephenGoranson

neilgodfrey you claim to speak for "everyone else"?
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

StephenGoranson wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:31 pm neilgodfrey you claim to speak for "everyone else"?
For all non-narcissists who know you from your comments here, yes.

And for everyone who can see from the tone of the comment and the smiley clue at the end, yes.
StephenGoranson

neilgodfrey, above, implied that I would be appalled by Matt Baker saying there was no united kingdom. Actually, I consider the matter a reasonable, open question. And the answer does not necessarily need to be a totalizing yes or no. For example, was a weak alliance possible? Or how united? The UnitedSA had a Civil War. United Arab Republic consisting of Egypt and Syria (started in 1958) did not last long.

Why preach open discussion while actually offering a with-me or against-me dogmatic party line?
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

StephenGoranson wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:06 am neilgodfrey, above, implied that I would be appalled by Matt Baker saying there was no united kingdom. Actually, I consider the matter a reasonable, open question. And the answer does not necessarily need to be a totalizing yes or no. For example, was a weak alliance possible? Or how united? The UnitedSA had a Civil War. United Arab Republic consisting of Egypt and Syria (started in 1958) did not last long.

Why preach open discussion while actually offering a with-me or against-me dogmatic party line?
Oh Stephen, you are really determined to nip at me over something, aren't you! ;-) Get over it. It was a joke! Look up the word in your OED.

But seriously, simply finding third or fourth or more options that attempt to "harmonize" or "rationalize" stories with the archaeological evidence only creates more scenarios that are neither supported by the stories nor by the archaeological evidence.

One really does have to choose. A construct based on the archaeological evidence? A story in the Bible? If the two coincide, well and good. If they don't, don't try to create other options that are supported by neither.
StephenGoranson

Neither the Bible nor archaeology gives a full, reliable account of history. Nor Gmirkin changing versions filtered by his follower. Despite fundamentalist totalizing urgings.