Current State of Samaritan Studies (Hexateuch)

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
neilgodfrey

Re: Current State of Samaritan Studies (Hexateuch)

Post by neilgodfrey »

Secret Alias wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:15 pm
You're whole support of the hypothesis is that you can't disprove the idea that the Pentateuch was written in 270 CE.
Nonsense. That's not at all the reason I like Gmirkin's theory. As for "supporting" his theory -- yes, I do find myself correcting the presentation of some of Gmirkin's ideas when I see them misrepresented here. But there are other theories extant about a Hellenistic origin of the Pentateuch and I find myself thinking about them all, comparing them, thinking through specific details of different theories.

I'm still learning, trying to get on top of more of the evidence. But yes, I will post in response to what I see as misinformed statements about Gmirkin's -- and others' -- views, too.
Secret Alias

Re: Current State of Samaritan Studies (Hexateuch)

Post by Secret Alias »

I like the fact that Gmirkin is using his imagination. He deserves credit for that. I like the fact that he challenges the limits of our knowledge. I still don't think that it makes more sense to date the writing of the Hexateuch (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and then Deuteronomy and then Joshua) to 270 - 200 BCE. The Persian era is far more likely. But I enjoyed the discussion. Thank you.