Is Anyone Interested in Sharing Costs for this Title?

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
neilgodfrey

Is Anyone Interested in Sharing Costs for this Title?

Post by neilgodfrey »

The Septuagint South of Alexandria

It costs 139 euros for a digital copy. If anyone is interested in sharing costs do PM me. I could download it, combine it into a single PDF file with full OCR, and share it with anyone who has contributed a share. If one other person is interested that would mean we would each pay 69.5 euros. If three.... Don't all rush me at once. ;)

Contents:

Part 1
Historical Context of the Septuagint

1 The Septuagint South of Alexandria—in Antiquity 3
Siegfried Kreuzer

2 The Historical Context of the lxx and Its Hebrew Vorlage 28
Russell E. Gmirkin

3 Platonism and Judaism: Have They Ever Met? Reflections on Biblical Creation Stories 50
Johann Cook

4 Euripides’ Ion and 1 Samuel 1: Tradition-Historical and Cultural Critical Remarks 70
Evangelia G. Dafni

Part 2
Narrative Books of the Septuagint

5 The Man Who Would Be King: Reading Haman’s Edict (lxx Esther Addition B) through the Lens of Social Identity Theory 93
Helen Efthimiadis-Keith (AKA Keith-van Wyk)

6 Virtue, Asceticism, and the Masculinized Woman: Judith in Early Christian Greek and Latin Interpretations from the Second to the Fifth Century ce 114
Chris L. de Wet

7 A Greimassian Analysis of the Function of the Fundamental Values in the Story of Daniel and the Priests of Bel in the lxx Additions to Daniel 135
Risimati S. Hobyane

Part 3
Wisdom Books of the Septuagint

8 De (Pro)verb(i)is Raris: The Greek Rendering of Hebrew Absolute Hapax Legomena in lxx Proverbs 153
Bryan Beeckman

9 Wise and All-Surpassing Kings: Two Shared Themes in lxx Ecclesiastes 1:16 and the Standard Babylonian Version of the Gilgameš Epic 175
Gideon R. Kotzé

10 Atonement and Forgiveness in (the Book of) Sirach: A Survey on the Usage of ἐξιλάσκομαι/ἐξιλασμός 220
Wolfgang Kraus

part 4
Anthropology and Theology

11 Anthropology in the Greek Psalter 241
Martin Rösel

12 Divine Distinctiveness in Greek Exodus (With Special Focus on the Plague Narrative) 262
Larry Perkins

13 Who and What Is a Hebrew Deity? Reflecting on Certain Hebrew and Greek Self-Declarations and Expressions 279
Peter Nagel

14 “Joint Human-Angelic Praise” in Old Greek Daniel and 4QSabbah Shirot: Early Evidence of Merkebah Mysticism? 303
Annette H. M. Evans

15 Josephus, the New Testament, and the Talmud: towards Reconstructing the Theology of the Sadducees 320
Nicholas P. L. Allen

part 5
Septuagint and Other Ancient Translations

16 The Biblical Hebrew Idiom “Fill the Hand” and Its Translation in the Septuagint, Peshitta and Targums 341
Douglas T. Mangum

17 Life for the Righteous: Perspectives on the Text(s) and Interpretation(s) of Habakkuk 2:1–4 in Ancient Textual Witnesses 357
Gert T. M. Prinsloo

18 Translating Hebrew Poetry: Ezekiel 19 in the Septuagint as an Example 400
Herrie F. van Rooy

19 Masks in Bible, Targum, and Talmud: An Investigative Study 414
Gudrun E. Lier

part 6
Language of the Septuagint

20 Generative Syntax and Septuagint Greek: A Preliminary Analysis of the Quantifier πᾶς 431
Jacobus A. Naudé and Cynthia L. Miller-Naudé
StephenGoranson

Re: Is Anyone Interested in Sharing Costs for this Title?

Post by StephenGoranson »

Copyright page:

The Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Data is available online at https://catalog.loc.gov

LC record available at https://lccn.loc.gov/2022024652

Typeface for the Latin, Greek, and Cyrillic scripts: “Brill”. See and download: brill.com/brill-typeface.

ISSN 0083-5889

ISBN 978-90-04-52137-7 (hardback)

ISBN 978-90-04-52138-4 (e-book)

Copyright 2022 by Johann Cook and Gideon R. Kotzé. Published by Koninklijke Brill NV, Leiden, The Netherlands.

Koninklijke Brill NV incorporates the imprints Brill, Brill Nijhoff, Brill Hotei, Brill Schöningh, Brill Fink, Brill mentis, Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, Böhlau and V&R unipress.

Koninklijke Brill NV reserves the right to protect this publication against unauthorized use. Requests for re-use and/or translations must be addressed to Koninklijke Brill NV via brill.com or copyright.com.

This book is printed on acid-free paper and produced in a sustainable manner.
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

StephenGoranson wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:39 pm Copyright page:
You don't explain the point of your comment, SG. Surely it is not questioning the copyright permissions of my request since I am talking about going 50-50, say, on an electronic version of the book. Would you like to share costs? ;-)

But if such sharing is indeed a breach of the law I will of course have to withdraw my offer.
Russell Gmirkin

Post by Russell Gmirkin »

I'd share the cost with you, but it's out of my price range.

A lot of the book is available (including my contribution to that volume) in Google Books at

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Th ... QvHbkuM71w

Professor Johann Cook of Stellenbosch University, who invited me to contribute to this e-conference on the LXX, is the model of a true academic. Although he has reservations about my thesis, he considers it a new idea worthy of wider consideration and discussion in the scholarly community.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

I would agree. Something good will come from it. I believe that.
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

are there two more takers to make sharing viable?