"Public statement on Publication of Archaeological Finds"

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
StephenGoranson

Re: "Public statement on Publication of Archaeological Finds"

Post by StephenGoranson »

I posted the "Public Statement" without comment from me (since I did not write nor sign it).
I later posted a news article about the--reported--motivation for it, of some.
Again, neilgodfrey suggested, without evidence, that I did not read.
And again, without connection to the thread, defended the Gmirkin proposal.
R. E. Gmirkin is, of course, free to stick to his guns about that, and NG to run shotgun.
As if many Hebrew Bible scholars have not considered--read--the REG 270s assertion, and found it wanting.

Me, since I think REG is intelligent, it seems a shame to waste it on a notion that is, imo, crank.
ABuddhist

Post by ABuddhist »

StephenGoranson wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:31 pm As if many Hebrew Bible scholars have not considered--read--the REG 270s assertion, and found it wanting.
Maybe you can create a separate thread in order to list these scholars and when/where they gave evidence about having read Gmirkin's theory. Certainly, such a thread would be a more meaningful criticism of Gmirkin's ideas than your thread entitled "pacing priest: can't we have books like the cool kids?"
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

ABuddhist wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:04 pm
StephenGoranson wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:31 pm As if many Hebrew Bible scholars have not considered--read--the REG 270s assertion, and found it wanting.
Maybe you can create a separate thread in order to list these scholars and when/where they gave evidence about having read Gmirkin's theory. Certainly, such a thread would be a more meaningful criticism of Gmirkin's ideas than your thread entitled "pacing priest: can't we have books like the cool kids?"
SG's choice of the word "assertion" is interesting. Not "argument and evidence cited", but his "assertion". SG's amazon review of REG's first book was essentially a complaint that he came to the wrong conclusions and asked the wrong questions and stepped outside the conventional documentary hypothesis. SG in that review evinced no indication that he had bothered to actually engage with the argument and evidence set out in that book. Normally a review of that length gives SOME indication in brief of what the argument and evidence the author uses to establish his conclusion, but not SG.