Were There Ever Jewish Priests and Priesthood in Hellenistic Egypt?

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
Secret Alias

Re: Were There Ever Jewish Priests and Priesthood in Hellenistic Egypt?

Post by Secret Alias »

Right but this is a discussion group. I was presenting a link to say "hey this is a real thing" not "let's start a book club." I don't think Petrie's temple is real. It's very fishy. If I was trying to publicly humiliate Gmirkin I might say Josephus says a Jewish temple was established in Heliopolis THEREFORE ... But honestly I don't know what any of this means. If it were true that there was this temple does it disprove or strengthen the argument for a third century Pentateuch origin? I guess it cuts both ways. In fact it might strengthen the Greek origins of the Pentateuch. Like always I don't have an agenda.

And if you argue that saying "Jerusalem isn't in the Pentateuch therefore the document isn't Jewish is an agenda" I don't get it. I am Jewish. I love being Jewish. I am getting my German citizenship because I am Jewish. It's just to me at least Mormonism has "Jesus going to America" because it was written in America and for and by Americans. If I have an "agenda" I guess it's I like to show how brilliant I am or can be or might be or ...

Really don't have a dog in this hunt.
neilgodfrey

Re: Were There Ever Jewish Priests and Priesthood in Hellenistic Egypt?

Post by neilgodfrey »

Secret Alias wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:08 pm Right but this is a discussion group. I was presenting a link to say "hey this is a real thing" not "let's start a book club." I don't think Petrie's temple is real. It's very fishy. If I was trying to publicly humiliate Gmirkin I might say Josephus says a Jewish temple was established in Heliopolis THEREFORE ... But honestly I don't know what any of this means. If it were true that there was this temple does it disprove or strengthen the argument for a third century Pentateuch origin? I guess it cuts both ways. In fact it might strengthen the Greek origins of the Pentateuch. Like always I don't have an agenda.

And if you argue that saying "Jerusalem isn't in the Pentateuch therefore the document isn't Jewish is an agenda" I don't get it. I am Jewish. I love being Jewish. I am getting my German citizenship because I am Jewish. It's just to me at least Mormonism has "Jesus going to America" because it was written in America and for and by Americans. If I have an "agenda" I guess it's I like to show how brilliant I am or can be or might be or ...

Really don't have a dog in this hunt.
If you think you are participating in a discussion group why don't you discuss the various views instead of just monologuing your own views over and over as if you find any other view incomprehensible

Why don't you at least try to read a view that challenges your thinking? A whole book, even! ;-) And discuss its actual contents (not just freeze like a rabbit in the headlights when the conclusion is not what you want and then hop away as if you saw nothing) -- as they do in discussion groups. (Even this forum contains many threads about discussions of whole books!)

Really, I don't care if you are Jewish or Martian. What counts is the evidence and rational valid argument -- you are missing out on a lot by not reading books. Forget what your mother said about books and be brave.