Plato and the Pentateuch

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
ABuddhist

Re: Plato and the Pentateuch

Post by ABuddhist »

Secret Alias wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:57 am I have among the most creative minds at this forum and I can't see a possible way that Alexandrian Jews had anything other than the understanding that God delivered to Moses a Hebrew "ten utterances," that Moses and God spoke Hebrew to one another and that Moses wrote their Pentateuch in Hebrew.
1. If you are so creative, why are you so naively trusting of your sources and unwilling to consier evidence?

2. People can believe incorrect things. After all, you do not believe, I assume, that YHWH spoke to Moses or that Moses was a historical figure.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

But Gmirkin may disagree and he has better qualifications than I have to answer these questions.
What "qualifications" does someone have to have for this question? If the Jews thought that Moses wrote the Pentateuch and the LXX was an "original exemplar" of the Pentateuch then Moses, by simply deduction would have had to speak or write in Greek. What other explanation is there?
ABuddhist

Post by ABuddhist »

Secret Alias wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:04 am
they would have been part of a long tradition of people ... the Book of Mormon, Mahayana Buddhist Sutras, and the pseudo-Pauline letters.
The Jews would still be the "originators" of this evil methodology and dishonesty in your understanding. They are the oldest example in the list.
You reveal that you have been ignoring what I have written. Gmirkin's model, if true, would have the Jews learning this from Plato, as I have said.
Last edited by ABuddhist on Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

why are you so naively trusting of your sources and unwilling to consier evidence?
What "other" evidence for Moses writing in Greek could there be? Only that you are proposing that the ancient Alexandrian Jews were stupid as well as evil.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

You reveal that you have been ignoring what I have written.
You gave a list of "false writings" where the Pentateuch was the oldest making the Jews the originators of false writings.
ABuddhist

Post by ABuddhist »

Secret Alias wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:05 am
I bring a willingness to consider evidence and criticall assess traditions which you naively accept without question.
Except the testimony that Philo gives of Jews and non-Jews of his day gathering together for the last 300 years celebrating the LXX as a translation at the very public island of Pharos.
I have considered such evidence, but I have repeatedly pointed out that a community's belief, and a festival commemorating that belief, need not indicate that the belief is true.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

But the community held that it was a translation and I am still waiting for an explanation for the LXX being something other than a translation if Moses couldn't speak or write Greek. Are you suggesting the Alexandrian Jews thought Moses could speak and write Greek? Please answer.
Last edited by Secret Alias on Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
ABuddhist

Post by ABuddhist »

Secret Alias wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:09 am
You reveal that you have been ignoring what I have written.
You gave a list of "false writings" where the Pentateuch was the oldest making the Jews the originators of false writings.
You are adding that to my words and ignoring what I and Gmirkin have said about Plato.
ABuddhist

Post by ABuddhist »

Secret Alias wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:10 am But the community held that it was a translation and I am still waiting for an explanation for the LXX being something other than a translation if Moses couldn't speak or write Greek.
Wait. Are you seriously saying that you believe that Moses wrote the Pentateuch?
StephenGoranson

Post by StephenGoranson »

But, AB, your comment, number #1 above, today, about others also, does not comport with what R Gmirkin wrote above, Jan. 7 in this thread:

"Yes, Judea appears to have been the only nation in antiquity to have implemented Plato's agenda for creating a theocracy, national literature and so forth."

Judea. Only. Only. ........dangerous.
Last edited by StephenGoranson on Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.