Plato and the Pentateuch

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
Secret Alias

Re: Plato and the Pentateuch

Post by Secret Alias »

You wrote:
they would have been part of a long tradition of people ... the Book of Mormon, Mahayana Buddhist Sutras, and the pseudo-Pauline letters
By this list the Jews originated false writings, pseudepigrapha.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Are you seriously saying that you believe that Moses wrote the Pentateuch?
I can have two thoughts in my head. I can chew gum and walk a straight line. Are you suggesting that the Jews believed that someone other than Moses wrote the Pentateuch?
ABuddhist

Post by ABuddhist »

Secret Alias wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:10 am But the community held that it was a translation and I am still waiting for an explanation for the LXX being something other than a translation if Moses couldn't speak or write Greek. Are you suggesting the Alexandrian Jews thought Moses could speak and write Greek? Please answer.
If the model that the Pentateuch was writtren in Greek first be true, then the Jews, having been misled into thinking that the Pentateuch was first written in Hebrew, naturally had no need to assume such a thing.
ABuddhist

Post by ABuddhist »

Secret Alias wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:12 am You wrote:
they would have been part of a long tradition of people ... the Book of Mormon, Mahayana Buddhist Sutras, and the pseudo-Pauline letters
By this list the Jews originated false writings, pseudepigrapha.
But I never said that the Jews invented such a tradition. Indeed, an older tradition, which I know about, is that surrounding the Art of War and the Yi Jing. Does that help?
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Either the Jews thought Moses wrote the Pentateuch or they thought someone else wrote it.

If the Jews thought Moses wrote the Pentateuch they would also have to believe he could write in Greek for the LXX to be an original exemplar of his Torah. Otherwise even by Gmirkin's standards the LXX was recognized to be a translation even by his "parallel Earth" Alexandrian Jews.
ABuddhist

Post by ABuddhist »

Secret Alias wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:16 am Either the Jews thought Moses wrote the Pentateuch or they thought someone else wrote it.

If the Jews thought Moses wrote the Pentateuch they would have to think he could write in Greek for the LXX to be an original exemplar of his Torah. Otherwise even by Gmirkin's standards the LXX was recognized to be a translation even by his "parallel Earth" Alexandrian Jews.
We both agree, if I undserstand correctly, that even though the Jews thought that the Pentateuch had been written by Moses, it was not.

Gmirkin asserts that the Jews were also wrong about when the Pentateuch was written and where, in that it was really written in Alklexandria circa 273 BCE.

Gmirkin may also believe that the Jews were wrong in their belief that the Pentateuch had been first written in Hebrew.
ABuddhist

Post by ABuddhist »

StephenGoranson wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:11 am But, AB, your comment, number #1 above, today, about others also, does not comport with what R Gmirkin wrote above, Jan. 7 in this thread:

"Yes, Judea appears to have been the only nation in antiquity to have implemented Plato's agenda for creating a theocracy, national literature and so forth."

Judea. Only. Only. ........dangerous.
Well, Gmirkin and I disagree about things, and I do not speak for him. More dangerous than any Jews were the followers of the Aztec state religion.
ABuddhist

Post by ABuddhist »

Secret Alias wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:13 am
Are you seriously saying that you believe that Moses wrote the Pentateuch?
Are you suggesting that the Jews believed that someone other than Moses wrote the Pentateuch?
No, but they were wrong about that, which allows us to recognize that they may have been wrong about other aspects of their religion's orgins.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Gmirkin asserts that the Jews were also wrong about when the Pentateuch was written and where, in that it was really written in Alklexandria circa 273 BCE
But surely they must have believed, according to your proposed "parallel Earth history," that Moses wrote in Greek for the LXX to be an original exemplar of his writing. You've never explained how the LXX was proposed by its diabolical Jewish creators to have been "by Moses" if it wasn't also proposed that Moses wrote in Greek.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

The point again is that even by Gmirkin's model the LXX is still a translation. Unless you propose that the synagogues of Alexandria also had two "ten commandments" on display one in Hebrew and the other in Greek to illustrate that God sent out his message a thousand years earlier in the future tongue of the community.