Plato and the Creation of a Classical Historian

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
Secret Alias

Re: Plato and the Creation of a Classical Historian

Post by Secret Alias »

There is no evidence that the Hebrew of the Pentateuch is based on or was influenced by the Greek language. Just a fact.
ABuddhist

Post by ABuddhist »

Secret Alias wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:36 pm
Why should I believe you about this?
I just explained. If you reject Aristeas's account of the LXX being a translation rather than an account of the creation of the exemplar of the Pentateuch, how can you date the composition to the earliest date possible based on a text you've just rejected? That's cheating. What's the evidence for the origin of the LXX without the assumptions of Aristeas? It could have been written anytime before the earliest LXX fragment. You can't just choose the date that "saves the theory." That's ridiculous. Jews "could have" went to the library of Alexandria anytime since it opened until the date of the earliest fragment of the LXX.
But your explanAation reveals that you are ignorant of the arguments which Gmirkin has created, using evidence, in order to date the Pentateuch - all without trusting Aristaeus as much as you do.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

I know that Gmirkin defended his claims about Greek influence on the Hebrew here at the forum with a terrible argument that didn't work. If that's his strongest argument (which you'd figure it was). Shooting blanks. Also it's been a consistent criticism of his book. There is no evidence for any Greek influence on the Hebrew. Almost repeated by every competent Hebrew scholar whenever his book is mentioned.
ABuddhist

Post by ABuddhist »

Secret Alias wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:39 pm There is no evidence that the Hebrew of the Pentateuch is based on or was influenced by the Greek language. Just a fact.
1. Citation needed.

2. Even if that were so, that proves nothing beyond the fact that the writers of the Pentateuch were intelligent enough to realize that putting Greek-derived language into their text would reveal that their book was more recent than they were claiming it to be. But if I were wanting to write a book in English and claim that it dated from before Japan's isolation ended, I similarly would avoid all Japanese terminology, ranging from tycoon to samurai.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Gmirkin cited an alleged Greek influence on the Hebrew text where the alleged Greek original term ISN'T found in the LXX.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Even if that were so
I don't need to provide evidence that there is no good evidence. That's your job. Show me the good evidence for your claim that the Hebrew is based on Greek terminology.
ABuddhist

Post by ABuddhist »

Secret Alias wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:42 pm I know that Gmirkin defended his claims about Greek influence on the Hebrew here at the forum with a terrible argument that didn't work. If that's his strongest argument (which you'd figure it was). Shooting blanks.
1. Why was it terrible?

2. I would assume that he would reserve his strongest arguments for his books, which you refuse to read.
Secret Alias wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:42 pm I know that Gmirkin defended his claims about Greek influence on the Hebrew here at the forum with a terrible argument that didn't work. If that's his strongest argument (which you'd figure it was). Shooting blanks. Also it's been a consistent criticism of his book. There is no evidence for any Greek influence on the Hebrew. Almost repeated by every competent Hebrew scholar whenever his book is mentioned.
3. Citation needed.
ABuddhist

Post by ABuddhist »

Secret Alias wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:44 pm Gmirkin cited an alleged Greek influence on the Hebrew text where the alleged Greek original term ISN'T found in the LXX.
Ciutation needed.
ABuddhist

Post by ABuddhist »

Secret Alias wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:45 pm
Even if that were so
I don't need to provide evidence that there is no good evidence. That's your job. Show me the good evidence for your claim that the Hebrew is based on Greek terminology.
But you were the one claiming that there is no evidence that there is any evidence of Greek influence upon the Hebrew. In a text so thoroughly studied as the Pentauch, such a thing may have been said by as person more trustworthy than you are - insofar as you refuse to read the claims which you seek to refute and condemn the practise of citing evidence in favour of a theory.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

I've addressed the bad evidence for the Greek influence on the Hebrew text in my discussions with Gmirkin. That's over and done with. Now you need to provide other evidence that actually works.