Plato and the Creation of a Classical Historian

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
austendw

Re: Plato and the Creation of a Classical Historian

Post by austendw »

andrewcriddle wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 2:18 am Our choice is probably between a passage in post-exilic Hebrew with a Greek loan-word or a passage in pre-exilic Hebrew using an archaic and otherwise unexampled root.
I'm certainly cool with that.
StephenGoranson

Post by StephenGoranson »

Peter Brown or Toth (which is it?)/LC,
that the Dura Europos Christian building was converted from some earlier use is, as far as I know, not controversial. I don't suppose that % numbers are often apt in history.
Christian art using some stories from the Hebrew Bible is also not news.
One could say that Christians in DE were a smaller group than some other religions, so the David over Goliath story could reflect the hope of the smaller one.
Further, it is not unusual for Christian parents to name a son David.

Several archaeologists and scholars accept the pre-Constantine date of the Legio Christian mosaic, presumably made when a Roman army was still stationed at Legio.
Is there a recent learned publication arguing for a later date?
Leucius Charinus

Post by Leucius Charinus »

austendw wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 3:39 am
Leucius Charinus wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 12:59 am
austendw wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:12 amBut before Gmirkinites (you should pardon the neologism) get too excited about this ...
If I were to identify as a Gmirkinite do you identify as a Wellhausenite ? (pardon the neologism) What other hypothetical solutionites occupy the theory space and how are they represented in it by volume (of scholars)?
Certainly not a Wellhausenite or even a Wellhausenist, heav'n forfend. I don't subscribe absolutely (so not an Absolutist) to any chronological scheme (so not a Schemer either), or any particular scholarly denomination. I have however been flirting (so possibly a Flirt) with Redaction Criticism, without adhering absolutely (see above) to their tenets. In my bones, I suspect that I'm non-binary, theoretically speaking, but at a push would identify as a Diachronist.

Last month I have been mostly reading: Reinhard G Kratz, Jaeyoung Jeon, Guy Darshan, David Frankel, David M Carr, Shimon Gesundheit, Simeon Chavel, Thomas Ryan, Stefan Schorch, Jonathan Ben-Dov & (yesterday) John S Bergsma.
Fair enough thanks for the clarification. We can agree that there are a large number of competing theories which occupy the theory space for the chronology of the Hebrew Bible. All of which are hypothetical.