There was a Pentateuch in the Persian period

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
ABuddhist

Re: Is the claim that Jesus's historicity is irrelevant for Christian origins as controversial as mythicism is?

Post by ABuddhist »

Secret Alias wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 6:30 pm So the bottom line is 100% of scholars likely think the Pentateuch predated the Hellenistic period. 100%..
Gmirkin is a scholar. And even if he were not, you need to provide a citation for your claim.
Secret Alias

Re: Is the claim that Jesus's historicity is irrelevant for Christian origins as controversial as mythicism is?

Post by Secret Alias »

There are hundreds of scholars in this field. If you include published opinions it's thousands. Gmirkin is a flake of dust in a vast ocean of conformity.
ABuddhist

Post by ABuddhist »

Secret Alias wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 6:34 pm There are hundreds of scholars in this field. If you include published opinions it's thousands. Gmirkin is a flake of dust in a vast ocean of conformity.
So? Surely you shoild be able to cite a source saying that alll scholars aaside from Gmirkin agree that the Pentateuch was pre-Hellenistic.

I was kind enough to cite sources supporting my claims about Buddhism in response to your request.

Do not tell me that you just made up the claim without any evidence aside from instinctual belief! If you were to reveal that, then your credibility would be ruined.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Surely you shoild be able to cite a source saying that alll scholars agree that the Pentateuch was pre-Hellenistic

This is controversial? Do I need to prove there is no scholar who thinks the Pentateuch was originally written in Chinese?
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

I was kind enough to cite sources supporting my claims about Buddhism in response to your request.
You did not cite anything. Just gave a link. Not how it's done around here.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Secret Alias wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 6:34 pm There are hundreds of scholars in this field. If you include published opinions it's thousands. Gmirkin is a flake of dust in a vast ocean of conformity.
Is conformity in opinion on the Pentateuch's authorship and origins really what you see in that vast ocean of scholarly opinion?
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

With respect to it being originally written in Chinese and/or in Alexandria in 270 BCE yes. Against Gmirkin (and it being wriiten originally in Mandarin, Cantonese or Hakka).
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Although the latter may explain Jewish love of Chinese takeout.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Re: There was a Pentateuch in the Persian period

Post by Peter Kirby »

Split from here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10713
ABuddhist

Post by ABuddhist »

Secret Alias wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 6:41 pm
Surely you shoild be able to cite a source saying that alll scholars agree that the Pentateuch was pre-Hellenistic

This is controversial? Do I need to prove there is no scholar who thinks the Pentateuch was originally written in Chinese?
Your model is poor. I present a better model

If someone had gotten multiple books published by a scholarly publisher in the relevant field saying that the Pentateuch was written originally in Chinese, then providing a source that all other scholars claim that the Pentateuch was originally written in Hebrew would be useful.

Gmirkin has published mutiple books with appropriate scholarly publishers in thew relevant field saying that the Pentateuch was originally Hellenistic. You claimed that Gmirkin is alone in this dating among scholars. Therefore, the burden is upon you to provide at least 1 source to the effect that no other scholar dates the Pentateuch to the Hellenisic period.