Lemche Review of Adler

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
Russell Gmirkin

Lemche Review of Adler

Post by Russell Gmirkin »

For those interested, Yonatan Adler just posted a downloadable review of his book by reviewer Niels Peter Lemche in SJOT here:

https://www.academia.edu/108750459/Niel ... 23_338_340
Last edited by Russell Gmirkin on Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
StephenGoranson

Re: Lemche Review of Adler

Post by StephenGoranson »

Notice that Niels [not Nils, a typo in the above post] Peter Lemche in that review misstated the very title of the book that he was reviewing in Scandinavian Journal of the Old Testament, where he is Editor-in-Chief.

The real title is Origins of Judaism: An Archaeological-Historical Reappraisal
but Lemche sloppily projected into it as
Origins of Judaism: An Anthropological-Historical Reappraisal.

In any case, what we may now recognize as "Judaism" could have developed quite long after the books of Torah were written.
billd89

Dating the Jews

Post by billd89 »

StephenGoranson wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:14 amIn any case, what we may now recognize as "Judaism" could have developed quite long after the books of Torah were written.
Just this morning, in a used bookshop on the LES, I was thumbing through a grotty copy of Norman Gottwald's 1979 The Tribes of Yahweh: A Sociology of the Religion of Liberated Israel, 1250-1050 B.C.E.. And that date sounds implausibly early, to me.
Russell Gmirkin

Re: Lemche Review of Adler

Post by Russell Gmirkin »

According to Jim West, Associate Editor at SJOT, posting on Academia.edu (not that it matters): "Totally my fault on the title thing. I didn't even notice it when I read the proof. Skipped right to the body of the text. I apologize."

Of course, Jim--decent guy--may have been falling on his sword.

SJOT also misprinted an article title of mine as "Tool Slippages (sic) and the Tel Dan Inscription" SJOT 16 (2002): 293-302, but I didn't sweat it. Can't tell you how many times my name has been mangled!