I Am the Very Model of a Biblical Philologist

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

I Am the Very Model of a Biblical Philologist

Post by Peter Kirby »

Published on Dec 11, 2014
A biblical- and ancient-Near-Eastern-studies–themed parody of "I Am the Very Model of a Modern Major General" from The Pirates of Penzance. Lyrics, musical arrangement, and vocals by Joshua Tyra, ⓒ 2011. Music by Sir Arthur Sullivan, original lyrics by William S. Gilbert.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Blood

Re: I Am the Very Model of a Biblical Philologist

Post by Blood »

Clever.
“The only sensible response to fragmented, slowly but randomly accruing evidence is radical open-mindedness. A single, simple explanation for a historical event is generally a failure of imagination, not a triumph of induction.” William H.C. Propp
John T

Post by John T »

Absolutely brilliant!

Thanks for sharing.
I feel better knowing that someone else agrees with me that the Philistines were Canadian. Most philologists feel it is the other way around.
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."...Jonathan Swift
toejam

Post by toejam »

Haha. Laughed most at the line about knowing what they were wearing based on the epigraphy :lol:

Reminds me of the Reformation Polka song:

My study list: https://www.facebook.com/notes/scott-bignell/judeo-christian-origins-bibliography/851830651507208
Thomas Raywood

Post by Thomas Raywood »

Major generalization.