Pew Stands By Its Poll Suggesting Judaism is Disappearing

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
stephan happy huller

Pew Stands By Its Poll Suggesting Judaism is Disappearing

Post by stephan happy huller »

http://forward.com/articles/185615/pew- ... Y.facebook

where one-in-five Jews (22%) now describe themselves as having no religion.

Everyone loves the happy times
semiopen2

Re: Pew Stands By Its Poll Suggesting Judaism is Disappearin

Post by semiopen2 »

Makes sense. Four or five major branches in the US and all of them seriously fucked up in one way or another.

In the old place, I made some comments about Reform in conjunction with their dubious interpretation of Hanukkah - where they claim that Maccabees 2 is Pharisaic (even though it is written in Egypt in Greek). If you're going to take a secular view, why make it bullshit secular?

At Shul, a guy mentioned that a Conservative Rabbi had stated in reference to Abraham's trip to Egypt, that killing a husband to marry his wife was accepted practice in ancient cultures (such as Egypt). One has to seriously doubt that without supporting references - anyways the modern Rabbis seem like bigger jerks than the Haredim.
bamadeb

Post by bamadeb »

I don't agree, lots of Christians are converting,
stephan happy huller

there you go everythings great. all we need to do is count Jews for Jesus and wayward evangelicals. Just what the doctor ordered
Blood

Post by Blood »

stephan happy huller wrote:http://forward.com/articles/185615/pew- ... Y.facebook

Pew is actually using Tom Brokaw's "Greatest Generation" hyperbole in an ostensible scientific poll? Painful.
“The only sensible response to fragmented, slowly but randomly accruing evidence is radical open-mindedness. A single, simple explanation for a historical event is generally a failure of imagination, not a triumph of induction.” William H.C. Propp
A_Nony_Mouse

Post by A_Nony_Mouse »

stephan happy huller wrote:http://forward.com/articles/185615/pew- ... Y.facebook

Stranger perhaps is the idea that a person can both declare they are Jews and as having no religion. The idea of a "people" or "race" went out of favor when Germany surrendered in May 1945. The Invention of the Jewish People by Shlomo Sand elaborates the idea. Jewish people is a political invention of the Zionists.

A while back I came across one guy who said he was an atheist but as he had not converted to another religion he was still a Jew. I pointed out he could not be an atheist and still accept the religious premise of membership until conversion. I was soundly denounced as hating Jews.

The whole "who is a Jew" thing is a clusterf#@%. Go to Israel and the official Orthodox do not recognize Reform or Conservative as Jews. It is sort of pathetic fun to watch them flail away at each other on the subject.
The religion of the priests is not the religion of the people.
Priests are just people with skin in the game and an income to lose.
-- The Iron Webmaster
stephan happy huller

In the end, when you go to Israel there is love for one another. Remember what Nietzsche said - the Jews invented the Christian ideal of love. It's hard to quantify or explain. Going to Israel for a Jew is like what I imagine a soldier feels when he returns home after a long sojourn abroad. The idea I think is that the greatest nations tried to prevent this (resettlement in the land) and here we are. As I said it is hard to quantify especially if you are of an age where you know Jews who never thought this would be possible. The modern Israeli youth doesn't get it. He shares more in common with the youth of the rest of the world.

I guess I can only add that the religious Jew doesn't hate the other denominations. He just endlessly tries to convince them of the error of their ways. He assumes that it is only natural that the secular Jew will come to his senses and embrace the truth. It is the secular Jews who dislike the ultra religious. I don't what 'religious light' thinks really (that's what they call those who are observant but not overboard). It's hard to know.
A_Nony_Mouse

Post by A_Nony_Mouse »

stephan happy huller wrote:In the end, when you go to Israel there is love for one another. Remember what Nietzsche said - the Jews invented the Christian ideal of love. It's hard to quantify or explain. Going to Israel for a Jew is like what I imagine a soldier feels when he returns home after a long sojourn abroad. The idea I think is that the greatest nations tried to prevent this (resettlement in the land) and here we are. As I said it is hard to quantify especially if you are of an age where you know Jews who never thought this would be possible. The modern Israeli youth doesn't get it. He shares more in common with the youth of the rest of the world.

I guess I can only add that the religious Jew doesn't hate the other denominations. He just endlessly tries to convince them of the error of their ways. He assumes that it is only natural that the secular Jew will come to his senses and embrace the truth. It is the secular Jews who dislike the ultra religious. I don't what 'religious light' thinks really (that's what they call those who are observant but not overboard). It's hard to know.
Just back from a birthright tour?

I have no idea where you are getting that hogwash. I read haaretz.com, jpost.com and timesofisrael.com and they tell an entirely different story of near sectarian warfare in some places like the old city of Jerusalem neighborhoods. Read them yourself and learn the truth. DO NOT take my word for it. I WANT you to read sources purely jewish and Israeli and learn for yourself what it is like over there. I do not want to be in the middle between your propaganda line and reality.
It is not surprising they are so willing to murder non-Jews for the fun of it.
-- The Iron Webmaster
stephan happy huller

No I never partook in a birthright. It is what it is and since you don't like Jews it seems pointless to continue discussing how real Jews rather than the wicked Jews developed from your imagination think and feel. I finally found the anti-Jewish equivalent of mountainman.
A_Nony_Mouse

Post by A_Nony_Mouse »

stephan happy huller wrote:No I never partook in a birthright. It is what it is and since you don't like Jews it seems pointless to continue discussing how real Jews rather than the wicked Jews developed from your imagination think and feel. I finally found the anti-Jewish equivalent of mountainman.
I gave you three impeccably jewish and israeli news websites as my sources. I only describe what I have read of current affairs in Israel from those sources. Anyone can read those sources and learn I am merely describing what they report. I have nothing to defend. You do not have to like it. As I said it is amusing to watch. I don't have a dog in their fights. It has nothing to do with like or dislike. I presume they enjoy it. I merely point out your description is contrary to the way it is.

BTW: I said I had no idea where you got your ideas. Where DID you get your ideas? Unless the newspapers are lying you did not go to Israel to get them. Who told you and why did you believe them?
-- The Iron Webmaster