Doubt about small passage in Whiston/Josephus

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
Chenault

Doubt about small passage in Whiston/Josephus

Post by Chenault »

Good morning

There is a very short passage in Whiston's translation of the *Wars* which mystifies me. In Wars 2.12.2 Whiston translates κατέβαλεν as "threw it into the fire". Is there any basis in the Greek for the detail about the fire, or has Whiston added that detail from the (rather obscure) Jewish traditions, or what?

Thanks.
C.
Diogenes the Cynic

Re: Doubt about small passage in Whiston/Josephus

Post by Diogenes the Cynic »

histon does have a footnote on this:
Reland notes here, that the Talmud in recounting ten sad accidents for which the Jews ought to rend their garments, reckons this for one, "When they hear that the law of God is burnt."

The verb, Kateballo, means "throw down" all by itself. I can't find the Greek text for *BJ* online. Do you have the complete sentence?

It may be that Whiston is filling in that detail from the Talmud but without seeing the whole Greek sentence, I don't know.
Chenault

Post by Chenault »

With the sentence before, for the context. It's Niese's text, from Perseus, but I haven't figured out how to copy the URL yet. Maybe this: http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/tex ... 99.01.0147

Thanks again.

[228]
Μετελάμβανεν δὲ ταύτην τὴν συμφορὰν ἄλλος λῃστρικὸς θόρυβος. κατὰ γὰρ τὴν Βαιθωρὼ δημοσίαν ὁδὸν Στεφάνου τινὸς δούλου Καίσαρος ἀποσκευὴν κομιζομένην διήρπασαν λῃσταὶ προσπεσόντες. [229] Κουμανὸς δὲ περιπέμψας τοὺς ἐκ τῶν πλησίον κωμῶν δεσμώτας ἐκέλευσεν ἀνάγεσθαι πρὸς αὐτόν, ἐπικαλῶν ὅτι μὴ διώξαντες τοὺς λῃστὰς συλλάβοιεν. ἔνθα τῶν στρατιωτῶν τις εὑρὼν ἔν τινι κώμῃ τὸν ἱερὸν νόμον διέρρηξέν τε τὸ βιβλίον καὶ εἰς πῦρ κατέβαλεν.
Diogenes the Cynic

Post by Diogenes the Cynic »

Ah, here we go.
τὸ βιβλίον καὶ εἰς πῦρ κατέβαλεν.
EIS PYR means "into the fire."

"And they threw the book down into the fire" is a straight translation of the Greek.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

BTW - welcome to the forum! :)
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown