How Isaiah Gave Modern Hebrew Its Word for Vagina

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
Secret Alias

How Isaiah Gave Modern Hebrew Its Word for Vagina

Post by Secret Alias »

http://www.haaretz.com/jewish-world/jew ... m-1.673930
Though we can’t know for sure, it is quite likely that pupils at the Gymnasia Herzliya pulled pot out of Isaiah and started using it as a word for “lady parts”. They were certainly responsible for giving modern Hebrew a couple of vulgar words for “penis” at about that time, and Dr. Malakhi went to school there.
The word "pot" as vulva began to gain wider acceptance in the 1930s, and later, in 1939 the Committee of the Hebrew Language adopted it as the official word for “vulva,” ignoring the criticism. Not a single woman took part in the discussion.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
semiopen

Re: How Isaiah Gave Modern Hebrew Its Word for Vagina

Post by semiopen »

Haaretz may be right, but I have my doubts.

I didn't look at the entire article, but the word Koos is also Arabic and if something is being introduced into Hebrew in the 1930s, it is absurd to say it came from Isaiah or Persian. In fact, the Arabic expression is often used in conjunction with various female relatives, and this also has been adopted into Hebrew - that is the entire expression is said in Arabic as opposed to Persian, or Monarchic or Modern Hebrew.