Anicient Israel/Modern ISIS/Al Quida

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
MrMacSon

Re: Anicient Israel/Modern ISIS/Al Quida

Post by MrMacSon »

Garon wrote: But when a modern group of Near/Middle easterners do they same they need to be destroyed. Why?
Garon wrote:Murder is wrong whether literal or myth writing. I really wonder why Semites in the near and middle East don't take out their Abrahamic brothers who murder their own.
I suggest you research the 1946 bombing of the King David Hotel in Jerusalem by the Irgun.
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

Comparing Jewish and Islamic Terrorism

There are a number of interesting similarities between the West’s response to the anti-British terrorist campaigns of the Jewish terrorist groups Irgun and Lehi in the 1930s and 40s and “our” response to Islamic terrorism in more recent years. There are also obvious differences but this post is taking a look at the similarities that struck me on reading Anonymous Soldiers: The Struggle for Israel, 1917-1947 by Bruce Hoffman. . . . Comparing Jewish and Islamic Terrorism
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science
semiopen

Post by semiopen »

I think I've heard the exegesis in the OP before. About the Israelites spending 40 years in the wilderness to train militarily.

This might be a strong candidate for the worst exegesis ever. I guess it goes - it's pretty ridiculous that God would make them stay in the wilderness for 40 years, but the 40 years must be the historically correct part. So they must have spent the 40 years preparing to invade Canaan. It seems to me that one of many many problems with that, is that if you start training when you are 20, after 40 years you will be 60. Oh well, as they say in politics, stupidity is not a crime.

However on a more serious note, I think gorilla warfare deserves some attention. This recalls the Sokolsky_Opening in chess - also called the Orangutan.
Perhaps its most famous use came in the game Tartakower versus Maróczy, in the New York 1924 chess tournament on March 21, 1924.[2] The name "Orangutan Opening" originates from that game: the players visited the Bronx Zoo the previous day, where Tartakower consulted an orangutan named Susan, and she somehow indicated, Tartakower insisted, that he should open with b4. Also Tartakower noted that the climbing movement of the pawn to b5 reminded him of the orangutan.
Also, I've heard that Tartakower made some reference to Orangutans "killing by encirclement" but I'm unable to find a clear source to confirm this.

Anyway, perhaps the Israelites used the Orangutan idea at Jericho, which perhaps contrasts with the Guerrilla tactics at Ai.
Garon

Post by Garon »

neilgodfrey wrote:Comparing Jewish and Islamic Terrorism

There are a number of interesting similarities between the West’s response to the anti-British terrorist campaigns of the Jewish terrorist groups Irgun and Lehi in the 1930s and 40s and “our” response to Islamic terrorism in more recent years. There are also obvious differences but this post is taking a look at the similarities that struck me on reading Anonymous Soldiers: The Struggle for Israel, 1917-1947 by Bruce Hoffman. . . . Comparing Jewish and Islamic Terrorism
Thanks for the comments and links. As I said in the OP I'm not a scholar. I am just a person who likes reading peoples answers to questions.
I don't know why people think it's playing tricks asking questions. I think if one cant answer or provide some other opinion to the questions in the OP they just shouldn't bother to answer.
Finding the book in Afghanistan that Al Qaida had is interesting. Again Thank You for taking the time to give me the links.
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

From The Mythic Past by Thomas L. Thompson

p. 296
More than one recent book of biblical scholarship has explored the possibilities of radical political parties forming around a Taliban-like fundamentalist core of religious bigots. This work is very promising. Slogan-like references to 'Yahweh Alone!' as a rallying cry for such groups echo through many of our texts, and might well reflect such socially destructive movements. The historical existence in the Persian province of Jehud of a discriminating, potentially intransigent, and intolerantly repressive movement against dissidents might be inferred from parts of Ezra. Certainly the tradition was quickly understood as reflecting a worldview of exclusive monotheism, intolerant of the beliefs of others. Josephus' accounts of John Hyrcanus' military conquests of Palestinian regions not only echo II Kings' stories about 'good King Josiah', they also underline the social and historical realities of forced conversions in a religiously politicized environment. When historicized, the world-view of exclusive monotheism could be well epitomized by the metaphors in the Psalms about Yahweh and his messiah at war with the nations and the powers of the ungodly. Such metaphors form a slippery slope, and end in a personification of both good and evil, as in today's commonplace demonization of the foreigner and Islam in both Europe and the Americas.
p. 199
All that was Greek was easily identified with what was oppressive. The Maccabees were given a political identity that was defined in terms of loyalty to Palestine's local deity, Yahweh. This has galvanized and altered our understanding of Jewish monotheism as an exclusive worship of the one and only true God. Jerusalem is presented as claiming not only hegemony, but exclusivity. It was in this context of 'Talibanism', reflected in the formation of the traditions in the Books of Maccabees, that the major collections of the Hebrew Bible took their definitive shape.
p. 66
. . . in the close of Moses' second sermon on the mount at the end of Deuteronomy 28: 66. Here, Moses is referring to the time in the future when Israel will lose the land and be scattered 'from one end of the world to another'. He marks his rhetoric starkly, with threats of degradation and humiliation: 'Yahweh will bring you back in ships to Egypt, a journey which I promised that you should never make; and there you shall offer yourselves for sale to your enemies as male and female slaves, hut no man will buy you.'' The closing phrase is important to mark well, as it strikes a note of scornful sarcasm. This is not a reference to an enslavement in Egypt from which Yahweh had once saved Israel - the motif with which Moses' second sermon begins (Deut. 5: 6) - but to far worse. The scorn and ironic diatribe lift this closure of Moses' sermon out of its narrative context. Departing from the specific literary references of old Israel and tradition, the text engages a subtext of political commentary involving the real world of the author. Who are these people who go back to Egypt by ship? Are they, like Solomon before them, buying horses, marrying foreign women and preferring to gain wealth at the expense of their religion? Are they known to the narrator's implied audience? Do we here have a thinly veiled, Taliban-like polemic against the substantial number of diaspora Jews living in Egypt at the time that Deuteronomy was written? There is abundant evidence of Jews living in Egypt. In his Antiquities, the first century author Josephus refers to many Jews who moved 'back' to Egypt, and especially to Alexandria, during the course of the third century BCE. Does the story talk about a present, which is projected into the past it creates?
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science
iskander

Post by iskander »

Garon wrote:I'm not a scholar or linguist of Hebrew/Greek or Aramaic. I'm pretty limited even in English (only HS education). But this thought came to me today on Jewish Passover. The Jews (supposedly) left Egypt, spent 40 years training in the desert for warfare. Then attacked the people who lived along the Med sea with gorilla/terrorist actions.
How were they, any different from today's terrorist groups of ISIS/Al Qaida?

I would just like to read your opinions because I haven't read anywhere about a comparison between those groups above.
Your question is comparing events that took place thousands of years ago, as they are recorded in a religious book, to events taking place now, but it is impossible to understand from this question why that comparison is relevant to the current civil war now taking place in Islam.

Posts like this one of yours will always attract a certain type of posters , but it would be helpful to us if you made clear what it is you expect good, honourable and compassionate people to do .
Garon

Post by Garon »

iskander wrote:
Garon wrote:I'm not a scholar or linguist of Hebrew/Greek or Aramaic. I'm pretty limited even in English (only HS education). But this thought came to me today on Jewish Passover. The Jews (supposedly) left Egypt, spent 40 years training in the desert for warfare. Then attacked the people who lived along the Med sea with gorilla/terrorist actions.
How were they, any different from today's terrorist groups of ISIS/Al Qaida?

I would just like to read your opinions because I haven't read anywhere about a comparison between those groups above.
Your question is comparing events that took place thousands of years ago, as they are recorded in a religious book, to events taking place now, but it is impossible to understand from this question why that comparison is relevant to the current civil war now taking place in Islam.

Posts like this one of yours will always attract a certain type of posters , but it would be helpful to us if you made clear what it is you expect good, honourable and compassionate people to do .
I'm not in here to argue, I watch you regulars do it time to time here. I asked a question that I thought was simple to get feed back. I was told it was a set up, that OT is myth, and now your answer. I'm not a scholar or great writer, the OP was clear to me from that point. I guess it was too simple for the highly educated Rude posters in here.

Thank you Neil Godfrey for taking time to help me out.
iskander

Post by iskander »

I am sorry if I have upset you.

The first response you got is this one:
MrMacSon wrote:Are you referring to the Irgun?
And the first response of another poster was tis one:

Those posts did not help you out.
Garon

Post by Garon »

iskander wrote:I am sorry if I have upset you.

I never heard of Igrun or any of that from 1917-1947. I thought I made that clear in the OP that I wanted to learn. I didn't know where to begin and I didn't read the second post completely because the other posts made me feel stupid for asking the question. Everything to Outhouse is myth and that is fine. But when will the "myths" stop and be exposed to the billions who believe them?

This website and the one that folded helped me change my position on the Bible, Jews, Muslims, the Near East and American politics. They are either all Semites from the religious beliefs (Abraham's two sons by different woman) that are written in the Bible or they are not. Anti-Semitism is reserved for Jews only. I disagree, sighting the Genesis stories of Noah and Abraham. So, if they are myths then who is saying that in national politics or on national television? Maybe some Atheists?

If this website is just a coffee clutch then I'll just sit back, visit once in while and watch.

If those in here who have studied your lives away about ancient myths, ancient historical facts you've found, gain letters from universities of great achievement, but only keep your knowledge in a forum such as this. Then you do humanity a great disservice and only pump up your own chest.
iskander

Post by iskander »

Garon wrote:
iskander wrote:I am sorry if I have upset you.

I never heard of Igrun or any of that from 1917-1947. I thought I made that clear in the OP that I wanted to learn. I didn't know where to begin and I didn't read the second post completely because the other posts made me feel stupid for asking the question. Everything to Outhouse is myth and that is fine. But when will the "myths" stop and be exposed to the billions who believe them?

This website and the one that folded helped me change my position on the Bible, Jews, Muslims, the Near East and American politics. They are either all Semites from the religious beliefs (Abraham's two sons by different woman) that are written in the Bible or they are not. Anti-Semitism is reserved for Jews only. I disagree, sighting the Genesis stories of Noah and Abraham. So, if they are myths then who is saying that in national politics or on national television? Maybe some Atheists?

If this website is just a coffee clutch then I'll just sit back, visit once in while and watch.

If those in here who have studied your lives away about ancient myths, ancient historical facts you've found, gain letters from universities of great achievement, but only keep your knowledge in a forum such as this. Then you do humanity a great disservice and only pump up your own chest.
Amen.