Genesis chap 5 verses 21-24, Enoch

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Re: Genesis chap 5 verses 21-24, Enoch

Post by Peter Kirby »

none_ wrote:I find the following interesting and I interpret it to mean that death isn't the only option, a person could just cease to exist.
so Jesus dying wasn't the only option presented in the bible for existing with god if that is what verse 22 means.
and no, I don't believe the bible to be anymore than lore.
21When Enoch had lived 65 years, he became the father of Methuselah. 22After he became the father of Methuselah, Enoch walked faithfully with God 300 years and had other sons and daughters. 23Altogether, Enoch lived a total of 365 years. 24Enoch walked faithfully with God; then he was no more, because God took him away.
This story gets picked up in the Jewish pseudepigrapha for elaboration.

As posted by Neil Godfrey in his blog:

http://vridar.org/2013/08/07/christ-bef ... to-heaven/

In 1 Enoch 39:3

"And in those days a whirlwind carried me off from the earth,
And set me down at the end of the heavens."

Neil Godfrey goes on to point out that, in 1 Enoch, there are two different kinds of "assumption" of Enoch into heaven in this text.

( The word "assumption" here is itself borrowed from the Catholic theological term in the phrase "assumption of Mary" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assumption_of_Mary )
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Tommsky

Re: Genesis chap 5 verses 21-24, Enoch

Post by Tommsky »

none_ wrote:I find the following interesting and I interpret it to mean that death isn't the only option, a person could just cease to exist.
so Jesus dying wasn't the only option presented in the bible for existing with god if that is what verse 22 means.
Didn't Elijah also by-pass death? Elijah seems to be a inspiration for the Lukan Jesus (contrast with Moses in gMatthew) and Elijah's ascension followed by the passing of his mantle to Elisha mirrors the ascension of Jesus from amongst His disciples in Luke-Acts.