Made in Alexandria, The origin of the Yahu cult

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
A_Nony_Mouse

Re: Made in Alexandria, The origin of the Yahu cult

Post by A_Nony_Mouse »

Blood wrote:
A_Nony_Mouse wrote:
Blood wrote:{quote="A_Nony_Mouse"]

There are no smoking guns in this. My purpose is to develop a theory which explains more of the evidence than the "religious" theories. That is what a theory is supposed to do.
Great. A good start toward that goal is learning Hebrew and Greek.[/quote}

There is no need to set the bar so high. Hundreds of thousands perhaps even millions have been doing that for centuries. It is not like any one person such as myself is going to come across anyone, such as yourself, who has attained that bar.

Most of what I have done is applied the rules of science in the matter of acceptable evidence. Translations are more than adequate for that as they are largely in agreement for Greek at least. And rather Aramaic instead of Hebrew unless there is some particular interest in the DSS or Masoretic. Very few accept this approach preferring the tedious and interminable academic, even Socratic, approach. Means nothing to me. I am a scientist so I use the tools with which I am familiar. Besides the scientific method is superior in every way as the fact were are communicating by computer is witness.
I'm afraid that the bar does have to be set that high, if you want to prove that the Greek is the original version of the Bible.
As I said, the rules of science. Proof is for math and logic not for science. There is only the best theory based upon the evidence.

In the matter of the Greek being the original there is no evidence to the contrary. There is no evidence of anything being older than the Greek. There is no evidence of Judea having a literate culture until around the time the Septuagint appears. And when Judea appears in Roman history the people are speaking Aramaic. Until a 'hebrew' version is discovered and included in the Hexapla there is no evidence anyone knew of such a version.

If you have a theory which better explains more of the evidence please tell me about it. But so far as I can see the unprovenanced religious tradition which is clearly not a theory is not possible. Reject my theory but present an alternative theory of origin which explains the same or more evidence.

I am interested in the discussion but so far no one has presented an alternative theory to explain the evidence. So I have the only game in town. There is nothing in opposition to what I have stated.
The religion of the priests is not the religion of the people.
Priests are just people with skin in the game and an income to lose.
-- The Iron Webmaster
A_Nony_Mouse

Re: Made in Alexandria, The origin of the Yahu cult

Post by A_Nony_Mouse »

Ignoring Maccabes, when the OT ends a culture of real kings and priests and sort of Greek exists. When Judea actually appears in history it is ruled by priests and is a demon-haunted world very like Egypt. When rabbis got control of things they were also dealers in spells and amulets and potions for protection from demons and evil eyes and still are to this day in the ultra-orthodox and Hasidic communities in Israel and some parts of NYC.

In the Septuagint Judea ruled what were called Idumaea, Samaria, Galilee and much more for a thousand years. When Judea appears in real history it is local tyranny ruling only those three named by force of arms.
The religion of the priests is not the religion of the people.
Priests are just people with skin in the game and an income to lose.
-- The Iron Webmaster