Did Moses Exist? The Myth of the Israelite Lawgiver

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
Maximos

Post by Maximos »

Here's a new book debunking the existence of Moses and the Exodus:

Did Moses Exist?

Article: Moses, the Promised Land and Easter

Blog: http:// freethough tnatio n. co m/egyptolo gists-the-exodus-never-happened Egyptologists: The Exodus never happened

Forum: http:/ / freet houghtnatio n. co m/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4182 Did Moses Exist? The Myth of the Israelite Lawgiver

The Moses-Dionysus Connection

"..there is hardly a biblical scholar in the world actively working on the [authorship] problem who would claim that the Five Books of Moses were written by Moses."
- Richard Elliott Friedman
Last edited by Maximos on Fri May 02, 2014 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blood

Re: Did Moses Exist? The Myth of the Israelite Lawgiver

Post by Blood »

I'm guessing the answer will be "no."

If only Moses had had a Testimonium Flavianum ...
“The only sensible response to fragmented, slowly but randomly accruing evidence is radical open-mindedness. A single, simple explanation for a historical event is generally a failure of imagination, not a triumph of induction.” William H.C. Propp
Maximos

Post by Maximos »

Well, maybe Moses should've refrained from destroying the two stone Commandment slabs supposedly written by the hand of god for starters?

:confusedsmiley:
"Our tribal customs have become the core of your moral code. Our tribal laws have furnished the basic groundwork of all your august constitutions and legal systems. Our legends and our folk-tales are the sacred lore which you croon to your infants. Our poets have filled your hymnals and your prayer-books. Our national history has become an indispensable part of the learning of your pastors and priests and scholars. Our kings, our statesmen, our prophets, our warriors are your heroes. Our ancient little country is your Holy Land. Our national literature is your Holy Bible. What our people thought and taught has become inextricably woven into your very speech and tradition, until no one among you can be called educated who is not familiar with our racial heritage.

"Jewish artisans and Jewish fishermen are your teachers and your saints, with countless statues carved in their image and innumerable cathedrals raised to their memories. A Jewish maiden is your ideal of motherhood and womanhood. A Jewish rebel-prophet is the central figure in your religious worship. We have pulled down your idols, cast aside your racial inheritance, and substituted for them our God and our traditions. No conquest in history can even remotely compare with this clean sweep of our conquest over you."

- Jewish writer Marcus Eli Ravage
http: // w ww. freethoug htna tion.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2682
stephan happy huller

Post by stephan happy huller »

What a stupid argument. The question isn't whether Moses existed but whether Manetho's witness - a hostile witness - of an Egyptian priest who was the historical Moses is accurate. I think the odds are better than not that there is something to Manetho's testimony. But we can't be sure of that. So, my opinion would be - there probably was a historical event 'exaggerated' in the Pentateuch into 'the Exodus' which involved a renegade priest who became 'Moses' (a name developed purely for its numerical value similar to the Aramaic rendering of Mark = 345). The only people who create nonsense out of thin air are the associates of this lady.
Everyone loves the happy times
Maximos

Post by Maximos »

stephan happy huller wrote:What a stupid argument. The question isn't whether Moses existed but whether Manetho's witness - a hostile witness - of an Egyptian priest who was the historical Moses is accurate. I think the odds are better than not that there is something to Manetho's testimony. But we can't be sure of that. So, my opinion would be - there probably was a historical event 'exaggerated' in the Pentateuch into 'the Exodus' which involved a renegade priest who became 'Moses' (a name developed purely for its numerical value similar to the Aramaic rendering of Mark = 345). The only people who create nonsense out of thin air are the associates of this lady.
There exists no credible evidence that Moses ever existed. The claims about Manetho and a historical Moses are debunked in the book "Did Moses Exist? The Myth of the Israelite Lawgiver."

http : // w ww.fr eethoughtn ation. co m/forums/viewtopic.php?p=28312#p28312
"..there is hardly a biblical scholar in the world actively working on the [authorship] problem who would claim that the Five Books of Moses were written by Moses."

- Richard Elliott Friedman
stephan happy huller

The fact that no 'credible' evidence exists to prove the existence of a renegade priest from the Egyptian religion does nothing for or against the argument that Manetho had such evidence. You have to disprove Manetho. I don't have argue for Manetho as he was a priest within the Egyptian religion and was drawing from records throughout his account. He claims to have these records for the existence of his Osarseph. Why isn't this good enough? An ancient anti-Semite felt confident that he found a match to the Exodus story. Why wouldn't it be more effective for him to say as an authority on the records of Egypt - 'this was made up. Nothing appears in our historical records.'

Acharya did you include Manetho in your book?
Maximos

Post by Maximos »

Stop calling me Acharya. I am not. It just exposes your Tourette's syndrome carried over from the other thread exposing your ability to control yourself and act like a mature adult.

From what I understand after reading through Acharya's thread, she dismantles the claims about Manetho.
Last edited by Maximos on Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
stephan happy huller

No one could possibly be this passionate about this nonsense save for the author and her lap dog.
Maximos

Post by Maximos »

Just so readers are aware:
stephan happy huller wrote:No I've never read any of this nonsense and probably never will.
Ok thanks, so you admit that you've never read a single book by Acharya S/Murdock? This is probably the first honest thing you've ever said about her.

viewtopic.php?p=6449#p6449
stephan happy huller

Yes, something very proud of. I don't eat manure. Stop promoting your books Dorothy. No wonder you took a false name. Why would somebody come to the forum out of the blue to tell us that a book that hasn't even been published is going to be published. No one cares about what this lady has to say except for her aliases and her lap dog.