Zeus is the Jewish God.

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
ConfusedEnoch

Re: Zeus is the Jewish God.

Post by ConfusedEnoch »

lpetrich wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 4:28 pm Goropism again.

Greek h- often corresponds to other Indo-European languages' s-. Like in "salt", "seven", "seat", "six", "son", "sun", etc. So Greek hêlios is Indo-European in origin, and cognate with other words for "sun", like the English word itself, German "Sonne", Latin "sol", Russian "solntse", Sanskrit "surya", etc.
What an absolutely pathetic response. It's honestly disgusting how you try to paint Ethan in such a negative light, even though you obviously have no idea how the Phoenician linguistic system is like.
People like you are why there is so much hatred in the world. Gaslighting is the epitome of Evil, in my opinion.
ConfusedEnoch

Post by ConfusedEnoch »

lpetrich wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 6:47 am
Ethan wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 1:26 am Your using an hypothetical PIE language, I am using the real languages, Hebrew & Greek.
That's no excuse for shoddy methodology. BTW, I can cite lots of real languages in connection with Indo-European and Semitic, and I have done so. Why is Greek more recognizably similar to other members of the Indo-European family than to Hebrew? Why is Hebrew more recognizably similar to Arabic than to any member of the Indo-European family?

Last edited by ConfusedEnoch on Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ConfusedEnoch

Post by ConfusedEnoch »

lpetrich wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 9:08 am Pure tripe. The Greek alphabet is derived from the Phoenician one, not LInear B. Ethan, do you know what sort of "alphabet" Linear B was? Do you know how its symbols mapped onto Greek phonology?
Do you have tourette's or something? Every single comment you make starts with an insult. Get over yourself. Sometimes people are wrong, even linguists!
Last edited by ConfusedEnoch on Thu May 26, 2022 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ConfusedEnoch

Post by ConfusedEnoch »

lpetrich wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:17 pm I have been reluctant to comment on Ethan's junky pseudolinguistics, but I must note that Zeus's name is Indo-European, not Semitic
  • Germanic: *Tiwaz > Old English Tiu, Old Norse Tyr
  • Latin: Jup(p)iter < Jovis Pater ("Father Jove")
  • Greek: Zeus Pater ("Father Zeus")
  • Sanskrit: Dyaus Pitar ("Father Dyaus")
In Proto-Indo-European, this is *Dyêus Pätêr (my spelling), roughly "Father Sky". Latin, Greek, Sanskrit, and likely PIE used name-title, while English uses title-name.
I don't understand how your comparison of Jupiter to Dyaus Pater precludes a comparison to Semitic YHWH?
Also, Al- is not always a definite article. It can also act as an indefinite one.

I wish you would stop appealing to the argumentum ad logicam fallacy and actually tried **listening** to Ethan.
ConfusedEnoch

Post by ConfusedEnoch »

Did you end up banning him?
Ethan

Post by Ethan »

ConfusedEnoch wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:39 pm Did you end up banning him?

Nope, just not posting much due to ill health
lpetrich

Post by lpetrich »

ConfusedEnoch wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:29 am
lpetrich wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 4:28 pm Goropism again.

Greek h- often corresponds to other Indo-European languages' s-. Like in "salt", "seven", "seat", "six", "son", "sun", etc. So Greek hêlios is Indo-European in origin, and cognate with other words for "sun", like the English word itself, German "Sonne", Latin "sol", Russian "solntse", Sanskrit "surya", etc.
What an absolutely pathetic response. It's honestly disgusting how you try to paint Ethan in such a negative light, even though you obviously have no idea how the Phoenician linguistic system is like.
What am I supposed to be ignorant of? I call it like I see it, and it's easy to show that Greek is much closer to English or Russian or Spanish or Hindi (for instance) than Hebrew. Count from one to ten, for instance.
lpetrich

Post by lpetrich »

ConfusedEnoch wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:39 am
lpetrich wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 9:08 am Pure tripe. The Greek alphabet is derived from the Phoenician one, not LInear B. Ethan, do you know what sort of "alphabet" Linear B was? Do you know how its symbols mapped onto Greek phonology?
"pure tripe" lmao do you have tourette's or something? Every single comment you make starts with an insult. Get over yourself, dude. Sometimes people are wrong, even linguists!
I find it funny the idea that I have Tourette's syndrome. This is an elementary mistake, something easily corrected with a little research. How would you prefer to point it out?
lpetrich

Post by lpetrich »

ConfusedEnoch wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:39 pm
lpetrich wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:17 pm I have been reluctant to comment on Ethan's junky pseudolinguistics, but I must note that Zeus's name is Indo-European, not Semitic
  • Germanic: *Tiwaz > Old English Tiu, Old Norse Tyr
  • Latin: Jup(p)iter < Jovis Pater ("Father Jove")
  • Greek: Zeus Pater ("Father Zeus")
  • Sanskrit: Dyaus Pitar ("Father Dyaus")
In Proto-Indo-European, this is *Dyêus Pätêr (my spelling), roughly "Father Sky". Latin, Greek, Sanskrit, and likely PIE used name-title, while English uses title-name.
I don't understand how your comparison of Jupiter to Dyaus Pater precludes a comparison to Semitic YHWH?
It's a VERY bad phonetic match.
I wish you would stop appealing to the argumentum ad logicam fallacy and actually tried **listening** to Ethan.
I do -- and I find them full of elementary mistakes.
Ethan

Post by Ethan »

Zeus in the nominative matches שדי but in the genitive, Διος, it matches יהוה but also παιάν and in names. Thus the o in John originates from the ο in Διο- i.e Διογένης

Joshua = Διός ηίθεος _ יהשוע , ישוע ,יהושוע