The seventy weeks of Daniel 9.24-27.

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
TedM

Re: The seventy weeks of Daniel 9.24-27.

Post by TedM »

Hi Bernard!

I'm writing to someone about the 70 weeks, and thought of your very interesting chart. I'm wondering if you have gotten any feedback from scholars on it? The terminology of 70 'sevens' of years seems to fit your scenario better than the traditional interpretation, to me.

EDIT: I am removing the rest of my post which was in error.

Ted
Ethan

Post by Ethan »

Book of Daniel is a pretext of Ezra-Nehemiah which begins with Artaxerxes.

2 Chronicles 36:21
To fulfill the word of the LORD by the mouth of Jeremiah ... to fulfill seventy years.

Daniel 9:1 - Darius the son of Ahasuerus
Esther 1:1 - Now it came to pass in the days of Ahasuerus

Daniel 9:1 ~ In the first year of Darius II, the son of Artaxerxes I

Josephus - Antiquities of the Jews - 11.1841
After the death of Xerxes, the kingdom came to be transferred to his son Cyrus, whom the Greeks called Artaxerxes.

The Cyrus in Ezra 1:2 was Artaxerxes I and minus 70 years is the era of Xerxes I

Diodorus.17, 110, 4-5 (Βοιώτιοι > יהודי)
A settlement of Boeotians established (in Sittacene, Babylon) there since the time of Xerxes.

Mystery Solved
TedM

Post by TedM »

Can you clarify which mystery you are talking about and what chronology you think Daniel is using please? Are you saying that the decree to rebuild Jerusalem by Cyrus (typically known to have been 539BC) was the same one as by Artaxerxes (much later) because he was the same person? Or something else? Wouldn't the Cyrus in Daniel 1:21 as well as the one in Ezra 1:1 have to be the earlier one?