The name Metatron for Enoch in ascent texts

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
DCHindley

The name Metatron for Enoch in ascent texts

Post by DCHindley »

I thought this opinion about the etymology of the name Metatron was worthy of note.

(Orlov, Andrei A) The Enoch-Metatron Tradition (2005) pg 92
8. In the introduction to his recent French translation of 3 Enoch, Charles Mopsik suggests that the etymology of the name “Metatron” can be linked to the biblical Enoch story and might derive from the Greek terminology found in the Septuagint rendering of Gen 5:24, “Enoch walked with God; then he was no more, because God took him.” Mopsik observes that in the Septuagint version of Gen 5:24 and Sirach 44:16, the Hebrew verb לקח (“to take”) is rendered by the Greek verbs μετέθηκεν or μετετέθη.(45) He argues that the most significant part of the term “Metatron” (מטטרון) is the first three consonants of this word, namely, MTT (מטט), since the suffix RON (רון) is a technical addition which represents a common feature of the various angelic names in Jewish angelological writings. Mopsik concludes that it is possible that the three consonants for the most meaningful part of the name Metatron, מטט, are transliterating in one form or another the Greek μετετέθη. Keeping in mind these linguistic parallels, Mopsik suggests that the name “Metatron” could designate “the one who has been translated” and thus would be in direct relation to the Enoch story and his translation to heaven.(46)

45) C. Mopsik, Le Livre hebreu d’Henoch ou Livre des palais (Paris: Verdier, 1989) 48.
46) Mopsik, Le Livre hebreu d’Henoch ou Livre des palais, 48.
DCH
stephan happy huller

Re: The name Metatron for Enoch in ascent texts

Post by stephan happy huller »

Very interesting. A close parallel is the figure of 'Dositheus' among the Samaritans if the name is taken to be a noun rather than an appellation. Parts of the Jewish liturgy have their origins in Greek.
Everyone loves the happy times
stephan happy huller

the author of the Ierusalem Targum: 'Behold, he was no more, because he had ascended into heaven by force of the word that went out from the LORD, and his name was Mettatron, the great scribe'.
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

Table for how Greek or Latin words were transliterated into Rabbinic Hebrew:

Greek
Name
Latin
Hebrew
Name
Hebrew
Name
Hebrew
Name
β Beta b ב Bet ו Vav
γ Gamma g ג Gimel
δ Delta d ד Dalet
ζ Zeta z ז Zayin
θ Theta n/a ט Tet ת Tav
κ Kappa k ג Gimel ק Qof
λ Lambda l ל Lamed
μ Mu m מ Mem
ν Nu n נ Nun
ξ Ksi n/a קס Qof+Samekh כס Kaf+Samekh
π Pi p ב Bet פ Pe
ρ Rho r ר Resh
σ Sigma s ז Zayin צ Tsadi ש Shin
τ Tau t ט Tet
χ Chi n/a ח Het
φ Phi f ב Bet פ Pe
ψ Psi n/a פס Pe+Samekh
n/a n/a c ג Gimel
n/a n/a j י Yod
n/a n/a q ק Qof
n/a n/a v ו Vav
n/a n/a n/a ע Ayin
γγ Gamma+Gamma n/a גג Gimel+Gimel
γκ Gamma+Kappa n/a גק Gimel+Qof
γχ Gamma+Chi n/a גכ Gimel+Kaf
α Alpha a א Aleph ע Ayin ה He
ε Epsilon e א Aleph ע Ayin י Yod
η Eta n/a אי Alef+Yod י Yod ה He
ι Iota i א Alef י Yod
ο Omicron o או Alef+Vav ו Vav
ω Omega n/a
αι Alpha+Iota ae אי Alef-Yod י Yod
ει Epsilon-Iota n/a י Yod
οι Omicron+Iota n/a א Alef י Yod
αυ Alpha+Upsilon n/a או Alef+Vav אי Alef+Yod אב Alef+Bet
ευ Epsilon+Upsilon n/a או Alef+Vav אוי Alef+Vav+Yod אי Alef+Yod
ου Omicron+Upsilon u או Alef+Vav ו Vav

I think it is correct, but I'm sure I'll hear from one of our regulars who will complain. It is compiled from the Jewish Encyclopedia (1906) available on the internet everywhere.

DCH
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

Apparently, the article says that vowels are usually not represented in the Hebrew transliteration, but may be represented by a consonant or semi-vowel.

Metatron, מטטרון

מ Mem
ט Tet
ט Tet
ר Resh
ו Vav
נ Nun

μετὰ θρóνος

μ מ Mem
ε [omitted]
τ ט Tet
ὰ [omitted]
θ ט Tet
ρ ר Resh
ó ו Vav
ν נ Nun
ος [declensional ending omitted]

Metator, Measurer

M מ
e [omitted]
t ט
a [omitted]
t ט
o ו
r ר

מטיטור or

M מ
e י
t ט
a [omitted]
t ט
o ו
r ר

מיטטור

Mitator, The roman officer who preceded the Legion to prepare the roadway and/or find a place to camp, a surveyor.

m מ
i [omitted]
t ט
a [omitted]
t ט
o ו
r ר

μετετέθη, The Greek equivalent for the Hebrew verb "to take."

μ מ
ε [omitted]
τ ט
ε [omitted]
τ ט
έ [omitted]
θ [ט Tet, or ת Tav]
η [omitted]
+ רון, meaning RON, a standard addition to angelic names in Jewish mystic circles

DCH

ps: I was lashed with 60 fiery lashes for sitting down to write this while in heaven. Those are worse than bed bug bites!
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

DCHindley wrote:
He argues that the most significant part of the term “Metatron” (מטטרון) is the first three consonants of this word, namely, MTT (מטט), since the suffix RON (רון) is a technical addition which represents a common feature of the various angelic names in Jewish angelological writings. Mopsik concludes that it is possible that the three consonants for the most meaningful part of the name Metatron, מטט, are transliterating in one form or another the Greek μετετέθη.
To veer off into another direction from the main theme here, if numbers held mystical significance (I understand they did) could the name have been derived with gematria in mind? The Greek word here, μετετέθη, I think amounts to 666. The Hebrew מטטרון to 314. Has there been any discussion along those lines?
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science
stephan happy huller

The angel of the 216 letters in Exodus 14:19 - 21 (three verses 72 letters each = 216).

6 x 6 x 6 = 216
stephan happy huller

μετετέθη

40 + 5 + 300 + 5 + 300 + 5 + 9 + 8 = 672 something other than 666

The first three letters though have a value of 345
andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

neilgodfrey wrote:
DCHindley wrote:
He argues that the most significant part of the term “Metatron” (מטטרון) is the first three consonants of this word, namely, MTT (מטט), since the suffix RON (רון) is a technical addition which represents a common feature of the various angelic names in Jewish angelological writings. Mopsik concludes that it is possible that the three consonants for the most meaningful part of the name Metatron, מטט, are transliterating in one form or another the Greek μετετέθη.
To veer off into another direction from the main theme here, if numbers held mystical significance (I understand they did) could the name have been derived with gematria in mind? The Greek word here, μετετέθη, I think amounts to 666. The Hebrew מטטרון to 314. Has there been any discussion along those lines?
314 is also the number for Shaddai. See for example Segal's Two Powers in Heaven
Black Metatron

Andrew Criddle
Last edited by andrewcriddle on Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.