Genesis 1 & 2

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
spin

Re: Genesis 1 & 2

Post by spin »

Mental flatliner wrote:You don't know what an "anachronism" is, do you?
The irony is oppressive. :goodmorning:
Dysexlia lures • ⅔ of what we see is behind our eyes
hjalti

Post by hjalti »

Of course I know what an anachronism is.

Why do you say that the "Hebrew spells it wrong"?

Can you give me any source to back up your claim that Babylon should be 'bbln' and not 'bbl' in Hebrew?

Can you give me any verse in the OT where you think that Babylon is mentioned?
semiopen

Post by semiopen »

בָּבֶ֔ל is Strong's 894(H) http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lex ... H894&t=KJV

There are a few notes, but nothing about bbln of course.

עַל־כֵּ֞ן קָרָ֤א שְׁמָהּ֙ בָּבֶ֔ל כִּי־שָׁ֛ם בָּלַ֥ל יְהוָ֖ה שְׂפַ֣ת כָּל־הָאָ֑רֶץ וּמִשָּׁם֙ הֱפִיצָ֣ם יְהוָ֔ה עַל־פְּנֵ֖י כָּל־הָאָֽרֶץ׃

That is why it was called Babel, because there the LORD confounded the speech of the whole earth; and from there the LORD scattered them over the face of the whole earth.
(Gen 11:9 TNK)

בָּלַ֥ל is claimed to be the thing Babylon was named after which means mixed, confuse, and oddly moisten. But this little bit of history seems untrue.

Maybe just for mommy's benefit, the second Bet has no dot in it so the actual pronunciation is Bavel.

Genesis 11:9 is the last time the word occurs before 2 Kings. It is totally exilic/second temple. This makes some sense - why would the first temple guys have cared about Babylon enough to give them a whole chapter in Genesis? They had other problems.

The modern academic understanding of the bible is very strong, there are still issues, but there is really very little logical reason to doubt this stuff. Certainly nothing brought up by mommy.
Mental flatliner

Post by Mental flatliner »

hjalti wrote:Of course I know what an anachronism is.

Why do you say that the "Hebrew spells it wrong"?

Can you give me any source to back up your claim that Babylon should be 'bbln' and not 'bbl' in Hebrew?

Can you give me any verse in the OT where you think that Babylon is mentioned?
If you knew what an anachronism was, you wouldn't be asking these other three questions.

History and culture must not be your strong suits.
hjalti

Post by hjalti »

Mental flatliner wrote: If you knew what an anachronism was, you wouldn't be asking these other three questions.

Stop evading the questions, and answer them or admit your obvious blunders.

You claim that Babylon is spelled as 'bbln' and not 'bbl' in Hebew, and yet I've posted an entry from a dictionary and every single instance of Babylon in the Old Testament is spelled 'bbl'.

Now again:

1. Why do you say that the "Hebrew spells it wrong"?

2. Can you give me any source to back up your claim that Babylon should be 'bbln' and not 'bbl' in Hebrew?

3. Can you give me any verse in the OT where you think that Babylon is mentioned?
Mental flatliner

hjalti wrote:
Mental flatliner wrote: If you knew what an anachronism was, you wouldn't be asking these other three questions.

Stop evading the questions, and answer them or admit your obvious blunders.
Your question is an intentional distortion which I've corrected twice. It deserves no response.
hjalti

Post by hjalti »

This is amazing. Mental comes up with a novel way to spell Babylon in Hebew, a spelling that you wont find in dictionaries and he claims that the spelling given in dictionaries and used in the Bible is wrong. When asked to back up his absurd claims, he accuses me of an "intentional distortion"!

Why don't you just admit that you were wrong when you said that 'bbln' was the correct spelling and 'bbl' was not? It's obvious to anyone who has an access to a Hebew dictionary that you're wrong.

You're not even willing to give me a verse from the OT that contains the word "Babylon", because you know that in that verse Babylon will be spelled as 'bbl' and not 'bbln'!
Mental flatliner

hjalti wrote:This is amazing. Mental comes up with a novel way to spell Babylon in Hebew, a spelling that you wont find in dictionaries and he claims that the spelling given in dictionaries and used in the Bible is wrong. When asked to back up his absurd claims, he accuses me of an "intentional distortion"!
You don't have a justification for lying about what I posted.

You've been corrected three times. Move on.
hjalti

Post by hjalti »

And how exactly am I lying?

Mental, what's your source for your claim that 'bbl' is the incorrect spelling of Babylon and 'bbln' is the correct one? Every single dictionary I've found, and every single verse in the OT that I've looked at contradicts your claim. Did you just make this up?
Mental flatliner

hjalti wrote:And how exactly am I lying?
I clearly stated above that "BBL" was the correct phonetic spelling for Babel.

I clearly stated above the history of Babylonian culture overlaying Sumerian. When this happened, the names of most of the cities changed, necessitated by the change in dominance from the (now dead) Sumerian language to Akkadian.

I clearly pointed out that phonetically, "BBLN" should be the correct spelling for Babylon. The fact that Hebrew failed to make the change indicates that it preserves the old spelling even in apparent error.

This is called an "anachronism".

Your obsession with trying to find a Hebrew language source for the wrong spelling indicates you have an extremely shallow understanding of history and cross-cultural influences.

Your obsession with putting meanings into my posts is a deliberate falsification of what I wrote. You always have the option of asking for clarification. You never have the option of lying about my claims.