Sea of Galilee & Red Sea

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
Ethan

Sea of Galilee & Red Sea

Post by Ethan »

They are parallels between the Red Sea & Sea of Galilee.

1. Moses walking through the Red Sea
2. Pharoah cast into the Red sea

1. Jesus walking on the sea of Galilee
2. Jesus casting pigs into sea of Galilee .
Flavius Josephus, The Wars of the Jews 3.506
Lake of Gennesareth is divided into two parts by the river Jordan ... It passes through the middle of the lake Gennesaret.
Ethan

Re: Sea of Galilee & Red Sea

Post by Ethan »

Jordan divides the Sea of Galilee into two

Daniel 10:6 נחשת קלל
polished brass

The Greek for polished brass is χαλκός ἐρυθρός and thus קלל = ἐρυθρός and קלל resembles Γαλιλαία cf. קלל ים "red sea/sea of red".

In Numbers 34:11 there is ים כנרות ת sea of Chinnereth, this is a freshwater lake not sea i.e Luke 5:1 λίμνη "lake".

ים סוף is perhaps construct i.e Sea of Red compare with Sea of Chinnereth or Galilee.

1 Kings 9:11 Land of Galilee
Mark 6:53 Land of Gennesaret

Deuteronomy 1:1 Land of Suph?

Deu 1:1 beyond the Jordan in the wilderness, in the Arabah over against Suph

Suph is mentioned here without yam (sea) and reads בערבה מול סוף i.e ἐν ἐρήμῳ πρὸς ἐρυθρόν/σχοῖνον "In the desert towards red/the place where rushes grow.
Strabo, Geography 2.16.17
largest of which is the Jordan, which water a country fertile and productive of all things. It contains also a lake, which produces the aromatic rush and reed. In it are also marshes. The name of the lake is Gennesaritis. It produces also balsamum
In accordance to this description, ים סוף/Sea of reeds is another name for lake Gennesaritis.

Isaiah 9:6 reeds and flags קנה וסוף .

A reed is called קנה/κενός because of its hollow stem
κενός > חלה > αὐλός flute (hollow instrument)
κενός > חלה > ἄρτος bread (hollow loaf)
κενός > קנה ~ σχοῖνος
Japhethite

Post by Japhethite »

Some interesting things there.

It would be better if you provided transliterations in Roman alphabet of the Greek and Hebrew words as I'm not good with remembering/reading Greek alphabet and Hebrew alphabet.

Yam Suph of Exodus may not have anything to do with reeds. It could mean something like Sea of the Storm. See my paper on the Sea of Passage at https://www.academia.edu/46771232/Evide ... g_location .

(Bethsaida seems to have probably been nearby Gennesaret since gospel says they went to cross over to Bethsaida but landed at Gennesaret, and since there it could be Kh Minieh or Ain Tubjighah therabouts. Though Bethsaida Julias is possible. Though Tiberias or a nearby site is also maybe a possibility as I showed in an Allempires forum post on this in thread Lost Galilean sites of the gospels.)
Ethan

Post by Ethan »

Sea of Storms
כופה is a word for a storm or a whirlwind, from Τυφώς and Sea of Galilee becomes a sea of storm in Mark 4:37.