WEBINARS: From Josephus to Josippon (August 23-26); now with unrelated PSs

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
StephenGoranson

WEBINARS: From Josephus to Josippon (August 23-26); now with unrelated PSs

Post by StephenGoranson »

From Josephus to Josippon and Beyond:
A Digital, International Conference

August 23 – 26, 2021

This conference will take place over Zoom. Registration is required
but open to all. Please see the following link for conference info and
to register:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www. ... 4ESM9smOuJ$

Featuring the following speakers:

Martin Goodman (University of Oxford), Steve Mason (University of
Groningen), Michael Avioz (Bar-Ilan University), Silvia Castelli
(Leiden University), Saskia Dönitz (Goethe-Universität Frankfurt),
Meir Ben Shahar (Hebrew University of Jerusalem), Ruth Nisse (Wesleyan
University), Jan Willem van Henten (University of Amsterdam), Carson
Bay (University of Bern), David Levenson (Florida State University),
Yael Feldman (New York University), Steven Bowman (University of
Cincinnati), Nadia Zeldes (Ben Gurion University of the Negev), Daniel
Stein Kokin (University of Greifswald), Katja Vehlow (Jewish
Theological Seminary), Ayub Naser (University of Groningen), Andrea
Schatz (King’s College London), Yonatan Binyam (University of
California – Los Angeles)

Also featuring 2 Masterclasses on 1) Translating Josephus’ Greek into
Modern Hebrew and English and 2) Josephus’ Reception in Latin and
Hebrew

Sponsored by:
European Association of Jewish Studies (EAJS)
University of Bern – Institute for Jewish Studies
Bar-Ilan University – Department of Bible
University of Amsterdam – Amsterdam School of Historical Studies
Swiss National Science Foundation (SNF)

unrelated PSs

I ate pretty good mac and cheese at a UNC-Chapel Hill cafeteria--this was years ago when I temporarily taught there--when some of us, including Bart E., all interested in history of scholarship among other things and in reading some of each others’ stuff, would go for coffee. You know I have never thought of B. Ehrman as what some aliased person online here called him in an unusual collocation, almost a googlewhack, one of the “facetious dolts.” Well, not in my experience.

Not saying it didn’t happen D. H., but another peculiar thing is an AWOL telling a stranger he was AWOL. Maybe he was a…. Kidding.

Just for me, much forum mythicism talk here lately seems a waste of time, but I wonder one minor thing. Do some Jesus deniers also deny the Qumran Teacher of Righteousness also life on earth?
DCHindley

Re: Going AWOL

Post by DCHindley »

StephenGoranson wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:52 am Not saying it didn’t happen D. H., but another peculiar thing is an AWOL telling a stranger he was AWOL. Maybe he was a…. Kidding.
Well, I sure hope that I have not joined the ranks of the tricksters in your estimation. Kidding. :D

I 1st encountered an AWOL sailer as a kid. My did was the youth group leader at our Episcopal church. One of the former students just showed up in a beater car with a couple friends to see my dad, who they thought was a cool dude. I recall the former student was almost gleeful when he said "We're AWOL." Basically, he had not returned to his ship after shore leave ended. He was going to report back in a few days or a week, but Cleveland OH USA is quite a distance from any US Navel bases. For normal folks, this is like extending your vacation for a week because you really needed it. The penalty for being AWOL was not especially drastic, maybe forfieture of pay for the period they were AWOL, but I'd be guessing.

The other dude was when I lived in Cape Canaveral Florida USA. There was a Naval Training Center in Orlando, where I had previously met sailors in training, but none of them were AWOL or anything, as that would wash them out. I can't recall how I met the guy, but Cape Canaveral was home to a lot of sailor types and families of all branches of the military. It's right on the Atlantic coast, immediately north of Cocoa Beach of *The Right Stuff* and *I Dream of Jeannie* fame. Maybe it was at a bar or just hanging on the beach and saw him doing something cool and asked him about it. We hung out for a couple days, seeing if any sea turtles came ashore to lay eggs (they did not). I called his number to see if he heard any news about the sea turtles and his dad answered, letting me know that he was AWOL, and "the Shore Patrol came for him yesterday." He sort of almost apologetically explained that this was not the first time his son had gone AWOL, so he might get some time in the brig. Never heard from him again. I don't think he ever mentioned being AWOL, but he did say he was Navy.

So, when the dude in Ohio who chatted me up a couple years later mentioned he was AWOL, I didn't think much about it. By then, it was the 3rd time I had personally met an AWOL sailor. :goodmorning:

The US Navy seems to have a long tradition of sailors extending their shore leave this way. The other branches may have been stricter, I don't know. Did meet a lot of Airmen, all sergeants at air stations along the beach communities, but they all worked 9-5 like clerical employees of any business office. If they needed an extra day, there was sick leave. I only met enlisted persons, not officers.

Strange things indeed ...

DCH