My Talmudic Legacy

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
Secret Alias

My Talmudic Legacy

Post by Secret Alias »

Let's start with my pedigree

[quote]<div style="text-align: center;">Elia del Medico da Negroponte early 14th century (Crete)

][bqfbqefdgqefdgqefbhqfdbadfdam Elia cel Medico da Negroponte) c 1340 (Crete)

][

Abba ha-Zaḳen Delmedigo de Candia (Crete)

][

Elkanah Delmedigo de Candia (Crete)

][

Samuel Delmedigo de Candia (Crete)

][

Samuel Menahem Delmedigo De Candia (Crete)

][

Abba Mari Chalfan Tsarfati - Uxor Chalfan (Venice) daughter of Josef Colon of Mantua who traced his lineage to Rashi https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Colon_Trabotto

][

Eliyahu Menachem Chalfan [Elia Alfano] (Venice) Fioret Blum Kalonymus (Naples)

][

Isaac Abraham Chalfan (Venice) - Israël MEIR (Metz)

][

Mardochée Le Vieux Halphen (Prague) - Anne Hanna Nenchen Meir Levy (Metz)

][

Abraham Ephraïm Mardochée Halphen (Metz) - Rachelle Esther Grotwohl (Metz)

][

Baruch Juda Hatsron Halphen (Metz)

][

Samuel Bunem Cerf Bonnevitte - Guitele Halphen (Metz)

][

Michel Erts - Elquet Deitz (Metz)

][

Salomon Vorms - Guidel Edelle Erts (Bionville-sur-Nied)

][

Moses Marx (Hüttersdorf) - Babette Braclet Vorms (Bionville-sur-Nied)

][

Moses Marx (Hüttersdorf) - Johanna Karoline Anna Hanau (Freistoff)

][

Samuel Marx (Kerprichhemmersdorf) - Carolina Feis (Speisen)

][

Moses Marx (Bettingen) - Karolina [Kilche bat Jechiel] Adler (Illingen)

][

Adolf [Abraham ben Meir] Frank (Volksdorf) - Betty Marx (Bettingen)

][

Gaston Frank (Bettingen) - Margaritha Sommerfeld (Geneve)

][

Evelyne Frank - Dieter Huller

][

Stephan Huller[/quote]</div>

First:

[quote]It can be assumed that the origin of the various forms of the surname Delmedigo, Del Medico, Del Medigo, Del Medego, Della Medega, is related to the medical profession exercised by one of the family’s ancestors, or by several of its members. As we know so well, during the Middle Ages and early modern times, Jews were often engaged in this profession in many parts of the known world. [Benjamin Arbel, “Notes on the Delmedigo of Candia,” in Non solo verso Oriente: Studi sull'ebraismo in onore di Piercesare Ioly Zorattini] [/quote]
Last edited by Secret Alias on Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Secret Alias

Re: My Talmudic Legacy

Post by Secret Alias »

I really don't know where to start. If this was a comedy show I'd start with my great grandfather dying while having sex with his mistress in a moving car c. 1921 a few months after my grandfather was born. But as this is a religious forum I guess we should start with the Delmedigo family. It should be noted that new evidence from this century suggests - in contrast to the Jewish Encyclopedia entry which follows - that the family was in Crete at the beginning of the fourteenth century (i.e. Ashkenazi mythmaking):
About the end of the fourteenth century its founder, Judah Delmedigo, emigrated to the island of Crete, whose inhabitants were mostly of German origin (compare Joseph Solomon Delmedigo, "Elim," p. 30, Amsterdam, 1629). Judah had three sons: (1) Abba ha-Zaḳen (I.), who, at his own expense, erected a German synagogue (ib. ); (2) Mejuhas, who died childless; and (3) Shemariah, with the surname Cretensis (). The last wrote a philosophical work, "Heber Ish we-Ishto" (compare Geiger, "Wiss. Zeit. Jüd. Theol." iii. 447), and many grammatical treatises (compare Wolf, "Bibl. Hebr." ii. 597, No. 33; Zunz, in "Catalogus Lib. Manuscript. Bibl. Senat. Lips." 324). His son Moses was the father of Elijah Cretensis ben Moses Abba Delmedigo (see next column). Elijah left two sons: Moses, a philosopher, and Judah, a rabbi (see Jew. Encyc. iv. 509). One of Judah's daughters, Rachel, married Joseph of Constantinople, a descendant of Mordecai b. Eleazar Comtino (compare Grätz, "Gesch." viii. 274, 438, note), in whose library his (Comtino's) commentary on Ibn Ezra was studied by a later descendant of the family, Joseph Solomon Delmedigo.

Casta (: idem, "Elim," p. 29), the only daughter of Joseph of Constantinople and Rachel, married her relative Elijah, whose genealogy, on his father's side, is as follows: The above-mentioned Abba ha-Zaḳen (I.) had three sons: Elijah, Moses, and Elkanah—all Talmudists—who, together with other rabbis, defended—"with flaming swords"—their countryman Moses Capsali against the charges of Joseph Colon (Grätz, "Gesch." viii. 253). Elkanah's son Samuel, also a rabbi, had a son Samuel Menahem, who was born after his father's death. This Samuel Menahem, physician and teacher of philosophy, the head of a yeshibah in Padua, was made a prisoner of war, was ransomed by his countrymen, and was recalled as rabbi to Candia. His son Abba (II.) had a son Eliezer, who presided over a Talmudic school for many years, and was a zealous opponent, of the Cabala. His son Elijah, also a Talmudist, his father's successor as rabbi in Candia, and husband of the above-mentioned Casta, was the father of Joseph Solomon Delmedigo (See Jew. Encyc. iv. 508) the most illustrious member of the family (compare Steinschneider, "Cat. Bodl." 1510). It is not reported that children were born to him on the island of Candia (see his lament in his "Ta'alumot Ḥokmah," ii. 3b, Preface). His remarks ("Elim,"p. 32), "that he had a little daughter at home," and "that he needed much money for his daughter's dowry," are explained by Moses Metz as humorous references to his work "Bosmat bat Shelomoh" (Geiger, "Melo Chofnajim," p. xlv.) and to the expenses of its printing. He was married in Frankfort-on-the-Main, where he held the position of communal physician, and where his two daughters were born. One died young (Carmoly, in "Allg. Zeit. des Jud." 1856, Jahrg. 20, No. 20, with inexact statement of sources). The other, Sarah, married the physician Solomon Bing, and after his death (1680) Isai Oppenheim, who died, according to her tombstone (No. 3009 in the old cemetery of the Israelitic community in Frankfort), Feb. 9, 1691 (M. Horwitz, in Berliner's "Magazin," x. 113).
So early 14th century to early 16th century in Greece:
Elia del Medico da Negroponte early 14th century (Crete)

][

Jecuda Delmedigo de Candia (Jecuda del quondam Elia del Medico da Negroponte) c 1340 (Crete)

][

Abba ha-Zaḳen Delmedigo de Candia (Crete)

][

Elkanah Delmedigo de Candia (Crete)

][

Samuel Delmedigo de Candia (Crete)

][

Samuel Menahem Delmedigo De Candia (Crete, Padova)
Samuel Menahem Delmedigo moves to Padova in the 16th century. There starts my Italian pedigree:

Yitzhak ha Levi Colon

Samuel Menahem Delmedigo De Candia (Padova)

][

Abba Mari Chalfan Tsarfati (Venice) ][

Joseph ha Levi Colon

][

Uri Feivisch Colon

][

Solomon Trabot(to) Levi Trabotto =============

][ ][ ][

Josef Colon (Maharik) ben Solomon Trabotto = Hadassa Colon Trabotto Nathaniel Trabotto

][ ][

= Uxor Chalfan
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

I fucking hate the formating options at this site.

sds
fsf
d
fd
gd
gd
hgfh
fh
f
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »