Isaiah 41:19 & Isaiah 60:13

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
Ethan

Isaiah 41:19 & Isaiah 60:13

Post by Ethan »

Isaiah 41:19 KJV — I will plant in the wilderness the cedar, the shittah tree, and the myrtle, and the oil tree; I will set in the desert the fir tree, and the pine, and the box tree together:

Isaiah 60:13 KJV — The glory of Lebanon shall come unto thee, the fir tree, the pine tree, and the box together, to beautify the place of my sanctuary; and I will make the place of my feet glorious.

The trees planted in the עברה are תדור and תאשור that only appear in these two verses and the reading "pine & box tree" are guesses based on LXX reading.

The term wilderness (מבדר) is rendered ἄνυδρον γῆν meaning "Arid Land" which is Syria.

Herodotus 3:6 τὰ ἄνυδρα τῆς Συρίης "arid lands of Syria".
1 Kings 19:15 מדברה דמשק "arid lands of Damascus" ἀνύδρῳ Δαμασκοῦ

Donations
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/ssech
Last edited by Ethan on Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ethan

Re: Isaiah 41:19 & Isaiah 60:13

Post by Ethan »

Mark 1:3 reads 'in the wilderness' translating ἐν τῇ ἐρήμῳ which in Hebrew would be מערבה "In the Arabia" however this is quoting Isaiah 40:3 במדבר that is ἐν τῇ ἀνύδρῳ "In the Arid land".

In Mark 1 Jesus encounters John in this "wilderness" is perhaps the very encounters of Jesus with Paul or Elijah with Hazael

1Kings 19:13 — behold, there .unto him, and said, What doest thou here, Elijah?

1 Kings 19:15— LORD said unto him, Go, return on thy way to the wilderness of Damascus: and when thou comest, anoint Hazael to be king over Syria:

Mar 1:3 — The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.

The phrase "voice of crying" from Greek Isaiah translating קול קורה meaning "voice of the oracle" or φωνὴ χρείους

Donations
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/ssech