Seventy Years

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
Ethan

Seventy Years

Post by Ethan »

Jeremiah 25:11
This whole land shall be a desolation, and an astonishment; and these nations shall serve the king of Babylon seventy years.

Jeremiah 29:10
That after seventy years be accomplished at Babylon I will visit you, and perform my good word toward you, in causing you to return to this place.

2 Chronicles 36:21-2
until the seventy years were fulfilled, just as the prophet had said ... first year of Cyrus king of Persia, that the word of the LORD spoken by the mouth of Jeremiah might be accomplished

Babylon fell in 539 BCE at the Battle of Opis and minus 70 years is 609 BCE the Battle of Megiddo when Necho carried Jehoahaz into Egypt.

2 Chronicles 36:4
Necho took Jehoahaz יואחז his brother and carried him to Egypt

2 Chronicles 36:6
Nebuchadnezzar took Jehoiakim יהויקים and carried him to Babylon

Genesis 11:26-31
Terah lived seventy years, begat Abram ... went forth with them from Ur of the Chaldees

Abram was begetted at 70 years and went out of the land of Chaldee

Genesis 37:28
Joseph (a brother) sold ... brought Joseph into Egypt

a brother was sold to Egypt

Donations
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/ssech
Last edited by Ethan on Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ethan

Re: Seventy Years

Post by Ethan »

The period between Joseph and Moses was most likely around 70 years, so the initial Pharaoh was Necho II and the Pharaoh of the Exodus must have being Apries and Moses is thus identified with Ahmose II, a person of common origin who managed to take the Egyptian throne.

Apries in the Bible is תפרע resembling the word פרעה, so perhaps Pharaoh was the name of King of Egypt..

Donations
Last edited by Ethan on Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ethan

Post by Ethan »

2 Chronicles 36:4-6 as two brothers, one of them carried to Egypt and the other into Babylon.

In Nehemiah 2 the temple was being built during the reign of Artaxerxes whilst Isaiah 45:13 have it built by Cyrus.

1 Chronicles 6:15
Jehozadak went into captivity, when the LORD carried away Judah and Jerusalem by the hand of Nebuchadnezzar

'Zadok > Shallum > Hilkiah > Azariah > Seraiah > Jeho-Zadok'

Ezra 7:1 in the reign of Artaxerxes
Zadok > Shallum > Hilkiah > Azariah > Seraiah > Ezra'

Antiquities of the Jews - 11.1841
After the death of Xerxes, the kingdom came to be transferred to his son Cyrus, whom the Greeks called Artaxerxes.

If the captivity ended in the reign of Artaxerxes I 465 - 424 BCE then minus 70 years gives 535 - 494 BCE. Note. Nebonidus died in 535 BCE.

What if it were Artaxerxes II (404 to 358 BCE) then minus 70 gives 474 BCE to 428 BCE then the captivity began between the reign of Xerxes and Artaxerxes.

The Captives
Alexander the Great's forces marched through Sittacene on their way from Babylon to Susa ... he found a settlement of Greek Boeotians established there since the time of Xerxes' campaign against Greece. (Diod. 17, 110, 4-5).

The Captivity in Babylon began in the reign of Xerxes lasting 70 years until the reign of Artaxerxes II who were able to leave, but most of them stayed.

Βοιώτιοι > ιώτιοι > ιουτιοι> ιουδιοι > יהודי Jews

Donations
Ethan

Post by Ethan »

Daniel 9:1 - In the first year of Darius II, the son of Artaxerxes I.
Daniel 10:1 In the third year of Artaxerxes II

- Esther 1:2 - Ahasuerus : LXX - Artaxerxes (Ἀρταξέρξης)

Ezra 4:5 - Darius I
Ezra 4:24 - Darius II
Nehemiah 12:22 - Darius III
Ezra 4:7 - Artaxerxes I
Ezra 7:1 - Artaxerxes II

Nebuchadnezzar = Megabyzus
Ethan

Post by Ethan »

Jeremiah 46:13
Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon should come and smite the land of Egypt.

This is the Siege of Memphis (459–455 BCE)

when Megabyzus finally arrived in Egypt, he was able to quickly lift the siege of Memphis, defeating the Egyptians in battle

The wife of Megabyzus was Amytis, the daughter of Xerxes I. And the wife of Nebuchadnezzar was another Amytis, the daughter of Cyaxares (אחשורוש?)