YHWH Tetramorph? Yam Hadad Vav/Crook(Osiris) Hamor/Donkey(Set)

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
yakovzutolmai

Re: YHWH Tetramorph? Yam Hadad Vav/Crook(Osiris) Hamor/Donkey(Set)

Post by yakovzutolmai »

ConfusedEnoch wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:39 am Like I said, Yahweh's function as Ultimate god is directly derived from the archaic Canaanite and Northerin Israelite beliefs in the mountain (usually Mt. Hermon) god El/Ba'al, who is first and foremost a Solar Bull God, equivalent to all other Mediterranean storm father deities (Shemesh the Solar Bull, Cronus/Helios).

What that means is that "Yahweh"'s name has nothing to do with Hadad/El because those gods existed prior to Yahweh becoming a more prominent Jewish figure. The name "Yaw" was originally the name applied to the serpentine river god offspring of El, as seen in the Ugaritic Ba'al Cycle which is undoubtedly older than the "earliest formal usage of the tetragrammaton". So his name is only connected to Yam, and not El, even though he has taken the mantle (and role) of the Ultimate deity.
I think the ancient Israelites mostly worshipped Hadad variants. And the Levites were Yam priests, and their cultic system didn't exclude worship of either in spite of their own rivalry.

This Tetragrammaton concept is merely speculation about YHVH as a compromise deity within a multi-ethnic tribal confederacy. A concession that each cult in the confederacy has a concept of their own God being derivative of a higher divine essence, and an attempt to cast YHVH was the essence itself. So that each can worship their own god, but have YHVH as everyone's god.

It's a curious coincidence that the name leaves room for even Hamor as representative of Seth. It's compelling. It's just a hypothesis, really speculation.

Still, the unity of Osiris and Seth may have been a stronger concept in the Egyptian paradigm than in the folkish Canaanite. Then again, Holly King/Oak King, Belobog/Chernobog are among many ancient examples of the Paleolithic nature cults which recognize a schizophrenia within divinity. It's worth finding stronger evidence (scarce for Canaan), but I wouldn't be surprised if many ancients clearly could see Yam and Hadad as each other's seasonal mood in some way.

The myths applied to Cronus are transposed onto Hadad, and even with Osiris and Horus there are implications of the cycle of life. So Yam/Hadad can be seen as the divine essence of El struggling with the cycle of life up until the point of his life stages being at battle with each other, which partly explains the Cronus eating of his infants (present in Yam and even appearing in Matthew's Gospel with Herod), and the idea of a propitiation. The idea is Cronus finding peace with himself during his golden years.

The frequency of this theme is so great, I cannot believe at least the shaman and priests would be totally unaware of it.

It's that seasons do not simply change, but bring violent storms as they change. And so the sky itself battles itself as it changes character. I think the thematic context is far too strong.

What warps my mind is how you have the seven suns and cosmic egg, stone eaten by sky father in CHINA. And Weylund in England as unambiguously identified with Daedalus - who isn't divine - but who can be related to Ptah and more strongly Kothar-wa-Khasis and Kaveh. There's this strong continuity of some sort of Neolithic religious system that was mindblowingly widespread.