the "marks of Jesus" as evidence of a celestial crucifixion in outer space

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

the "marks of Jesus" as evidence of a celestial crucifixion in outer space

Post by Giuseppe »

"Gal 6: 17
From now on let no one cause trouble for me, for I bear on my body the marks of Jesus."

Gal 6:14:
But as for me, I will never boast about anything except the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ. The world has been crucified to me through the cross, and I to the world

The crucifixion of the world can only be a cosmic crucifixion, of the kind talked by Justin when he wrote:

"He has X-ed the Son of God in the universe"

(1 Apology 60:1-5)

It is very probable that the other Christians (who, independently from Justin, "read" that same crucifixion in Plato) gave a name to the killer: "He" was the demiurge, who crucified the Son of God on the cosmic Stauros.

Hence, the crucifixion was placed platonically in the intersection of cardinal points, since only a such cosmic crucifixion could be related to the entire world.

The consequence is that Paul, just as any earthly creature of the world - a crucified world - , had now the "marks of Jesus" in himself.
lsayre

Re: the "marks of Jesus" as evidence of a celestial crucifixion in outer space

Post by lsayre »

Giuseppe wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:17 am The crucifixion of the world can only be a cosmic crucifixion
Your statement appears to be a classic example of a "false dichotomy'".
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Can you explain me how a Roman cross can crucify an entire world?

I can easily show you that a cosmic cross can be put above an entire world, docet Plato:

GakuseiDon

Post by GakuseiDon »

Giuseppe wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:17 amIt is very probable that the other Christians (who, independently from Justin, "read" that same crucifixion in Plato) gave a name to the killer: "He" was the demiurge, who crucified the Son of God on the cosmic Stauros.

Hence, the crucifixion was placed platonically in the intersection of cardinal points, since only a such cosmic crucifixion could be related to the entire world...

I have some bad news, Giuseppe! "Stauros" means "stake", so apparently there was no cosmic crucifixion. The world wasn't crucified, but rather staked on a stick. Kind of like a cosmic lollipop.

In support of my "cosmic lollipop" theory, I offer: "Job 26:7 He stretcheth out the north over the empty place, and hangeth the earth upon nothing."
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Giuseppe wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:17 am
Gal 6:14

But as for me, I will never boast about anything except the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ. The 'world'1 has been crucified to me through the cross, and I to the 'world'.1

The crucifixion of the world can only be a cosmic crucifixion, of the kind talked by Justin when he wrote:

It is very probable that the other Christians (who, independently from Justin, "read" that same crucifixion in Plato) gave a name to the killer: "He" was the demiurge, who crucified the Son of God on the cosmic Stauros.2

Hence, the crucifixion was placed platonically in the intersection of cardinal points, since only a such cosmic crucifixion could be related to the entire world.3

The consequence is that Paul, just as any earthly creature of the 'world' - a crucified 'world' - had now the "marks of Jesus" in himself.

Gal 6: 17

"From now on let no one cause trouble for me, for I bear on my body the marks of Jesus."

1 The words in the Greek in Gal 6:14 are not world, they're κόσμος and κόσμῳ ie. kosmos and kosmō 2 There are indications that some Gnostic-Christians were focused on Stauros as a god, and were keen for Christ to intersect with or usurp him (though whether they were proposing a platonic relationship or not I'm not sure... :P )

3 There's some interesting Gnostic-Valentinian texts which mention various signs or of processes of people's souls entering the rib of the crucified Christ for him to carry those souls to to the heavens (which, in turn, scholars relate to the gospel stories of soldier stabbing Jesus with his spear or Thomas being invited to probe the wounds in Jesus' torso by way of similarity or inversion).

And of course Justin misrepresented both Plato and the accounts of Moses to make what was essentially new Justinian midrashim.
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

GakuseiDon wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:56 pm I offer: Job 26:7 "He stretcheth out the north over the empty place, and hangeth the earth upon nothing"
That's noteworthy.

GakuseiDon wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:56 pm
Giuseppe wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:17 am
Gal 6:14
But as for me, I will never boast about anything except the σταυρῷ of our Lord Jesus Christ. The kosmos ἐσταύρωται / estaurōtai to me through the σταυρῷ, and I to the kosmō.

It is very probable that the other Christians (who, independently from Justin, "read" that same crucifixion in Plato) gave a name to the killer: "He" was the demiurge, who crucified the Son of God on the cosmic Stauros.

Hence, the crucifixion was placed platonically in the intersection of cardinal points, since only a such cosmic crucifixion could be related to the entire world...

I have some bad news, Giuseppe! "Stauros" means "stake", so apparently there was no cosmic crucifixion. The world wasn't crucified, but rather staked on a stick. Kind of like a cosmic lollipop.

Justin was extrapolating beyond stauros and staruoo.

In doing so, he was appealing to Plato's crucified just man (Republic II,361-2) and accounts of Moses; and said Plato was reflecting those accounts of Moses. Except Justin misrepresented those accounts of Moses, and of Plato supposedly having used them, when he clearly did did not

So, as Justin's account sucked, a lollipop or two would be apt.
Last edited by MrMacSon on Sun May 15, 2022 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GakuseiDon

Post by GakuseiDon »

MrMacSon wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:15 pmSo, as Justin's account sucked, a lollipop or two would be apt.
:lol: :cheers: Guiseppe is doing what Justin did. A lot of us do it as well, including me: find random lines to justify a particular theory. And when orthodoxy comes along, we become heretics.
MrMacSon wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:15 pm
GakuseiDon wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:56 pm I offer: Job 26:7 "He stretcheth out the north over the empty place, and hangeth the earth upon nothing"
That's noteworthy.
It may be, it may not be. If it is quoted to "prove" that the Bible supports heliocentrism, it's not noteworthy because no-one really knows what's behind the idea.