did you know???

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
GakuseiDon

Re: did you know???

Post by GakuseiDon »

cora wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:18 pmWhat I do know is that the word CRUX is latin, and in the bible since 400. Crucifixion comes from crux.
The Latin word "crux": https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/crux

"In Latin, crux referred literally to an instrument of torture, often a cross or stake, and figuratively to the torture and misery inflicted by means of such an instrument."

A stake is: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/stake

"a pointed piece of wood or other material driven or to be driven into the ground as a marker or support"

A cross used for execution is also a "pointed piece of wood". So a "cross-shaped" stake would be a pointed piece of wood in the shape of a cross. If you google it you can see all kinds of stakes with various designs up the top or on the side. They don't stop being called "stakes" because of that. They are all pointed pieces of wood (or later on, other material).

This is called a stake, obviously for its pointed end. How long does the top have to be before it is no longer a stake?:

MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

cora wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:03 am To everybody:
I think I know something about it but it is complicated.
1. I know in Egypt the praying pose was standing upright with your arms outstretched. That comes from Egypt.
2. The word stauros still means stake. One upright piece of wood. There is also a verb with it. Paul uses both. It means that Jesus died on a stake.

Justin Martyr enters (again). Our philosopher keeps adding new things to the story. There are already a dozen or so.
I knew that the crucifixion story is based on a psalm. On a forgery in a psalm by a Christian. The forgery is still in our bible. The jewish bible where it comes from says something different. I once read an article by a jewish woman scholar, where she explained everything. Including the jewish characters. There is written: lions my hands and feet. They translate: as lions they attacked my hands and feet. Some Christian made of it: they PIERCED my hands and feet. That must have been Justin, because he mentions it. I guess that there the cross and the crucifixion image comes from. It is a forgery and it is not the truth. But it is used probably from Justin on. It is used in the gospels. The psalm is psalm 22, which the jews call the suffering psalm. IMO Justin did it, because he is inventing things all the time. That is why I call him crazy Justin.

Jesus still died on a stake. Only thanks to Justin we do not know that. I think that is a bit strange. Also basing the story on a psalm at all is very strange. It means IMO the story is not real, but written over from the OT. So what really happened? We will never know. But we are looking at a fake execution. Including dividing of clothes etc. How about the inerrability of the gospels? This is IMO a bad point for the gospels. If this is invented what more is?

greetings, Cora.

Justin pontificates about crucifixion & the cross a lot, & what meaning he got about them from elsewhere
  • ie. other than the NT, especially from accounts about Moses

eg. First Apology 35 -

... David, the king and prophet, who uttered these things, suffered none of them; but Jesus Christ stretched forth His hands, being crucified by the Jews speaking against Him, and denying that He was the Christ. And as the prophet spoke, they tormented Him, and set Him on the judgment-seat, and said, Judge us. And the expression, ''They pierced my hands and my feet'', was used in reference to the nails of the cross which were fixed in His hands and feet. And after He was crucified they cast lots upon His vesture, and they that crucified Him parted it among them. And that these things did happen, you can ascertain from the Acts of Pontius Pilate.

Psalm 22:1-2, 6-8, 15-18, -

1 My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from helping me, from the words of my groaning?
2 O my God, I cry by day, but you do not answer; and by night, but find no rest.
...---
6 But I am a worm, and not human; scorned by others, and despised by the people.
7 All who see me mock at me; they make mouths at me, they shake their heads;
8 ‘Commit your cause to the Lord; let him deliver-let him rescue the one in whom he delights!’
...---
15 My mouth is dried up like a potsherd,
.....and my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth;
.....you lay me in the dust of death.
16 Dogs surround me,
.....a pack of villains encircles me;
......they pierce my hands and my feet.
17 I can count all my bones. They stare and gloat over me;
18 they divide my clothes among themselves, and for my clothing they cast lots

(The crucifixion passage in Mark 15:24-39, uses lines from Psalm 22 in reverse order)

First Apology 55 -

the human form differs from that of the irrational animals in nothing else than in its being erect and having the hands extended, and having on the face extending from the forehead what is called the nose, through which there is respiration for the living creature; and this shows no other form than that of the cross. And so it was said by the prophet, "The breath before our face is the Lord Christ".a

a = a number of potential passages, such as Gen 2:7; Ezekiel 37:5, 6, 8 or 9; Job 12:10; 27:3; 32:8; 33:4; Psalms 33:6 or 150:6;

but I think Isaiah 42:5 may fit best -

Thus says God the Lord,
Who created the heavens and stretched them out,
Who spread out the earth and its offspring,
Who gives breath to the people on it
And spirit to those who walk in it

First Apology 60

“And the physiological discussion concerning the Son of God in the Timoeus of Plato, where he says, "He placed him crosswise in the universe",1 he borrowed in like manner from Moses; for in 'the writings of Moses' it is related how at that time, when the Israelites went out of Egypt and were in the wilderness, they fell in with poisonous beasts, both vipers and asps, and every kind of serpent, which slew the people; and that Moses, by the inspiration and influence of God, took brass, and made it into the figure of a cross,2 and set it in the holy tabernacle, and said to the people, "If ye look to this figure, and believe, ye shall be saved thereby".

“And when this was done, it is recorded that the serpents died,3 and it is handed down that the people thus escaped death.

“Which things Plato reading, and not accurately understanding, and 'not apprehending' that it was the figure of the cross, but taking it to be a placing crosswise,1 he said that the power next to the first God was placed crosswise in the universe.1

“And as to his speaking of a third, he did this because he read, as we said above, that which was spoken by Moses, "that the Spirit of God moved over the waters." For he gives the second place to the Logos which is with God, who he said was placed crosswise in the universe;1 and the third place to the Spirit who was said to be borne upon the water, saying, "And the third around the third".

“And hear how the Spirit of prophecy signified through Moses that there should be a conflagration.”

1 In First Apol. 60 Justin refers to 'crosswise' four times ("placed in the universe" three), and, in the first line, he ties that to Son of God in Plato's Timaeus in which there is cosmological commentary with a compound divided lengthways into two parts, united at the centre like the letter X, and bent into an inner and outer circle or sphere, crossing one another again at a point over the point at which they first cross; and later, the outer and the inner sphere cross one another again and meet again at a point opposite to that of their first contact.

2 Justin has 'reconfigured' the "serpent of brass upon a signal-staff" from Numbers 21:8 as 'the figure of a cross'.

3. The serpents didn't die: see Numbers 21:9.

Moreover, Plato's Republic, bk II (s.361e-362a), has a reference to a crucified just man -

such being his disposition the just man will have to endure the lash, the rack, chains, the branding-iron in his eyes, and finally, after every extremity of suffering, he will be crucified, and so will learn his lesson that not to be but to seem just is what we ought to desire.

Dialogue with Trypho 40

Trypho: "prove to us whether He must be crucified and die so disgracefully and so dishonourably by the death cursed in the law. For we cannot bring ourselves even to think of this."

... said [Justin], "that what the prophets said and did they veiled by parables and types, as you admitted to us; so that it was not easy for all to understand ...

They answered, "We admitted this."

"Listen, therefore," say [Justin], "to what follows; for Moses first exhibited this seeming curse of Christ's by the signs which he made."

"Of what [signs] do you speak?" said [Trypho]

"When the people," replied [Justin], "waged war with Amalek, and the son of Nave (Nun), by name Y'hosua / Iésous, led the fight, Moses himself prayed to God, stretching out both hands, and Hur with Aaron supported them during the whole day, so that they might not hang down when he got wearied. For if he gave up any part of this sign, which was an imitation of the cross, the people were beaten, as is recorded in the writings of Moses; but if he remained in this form, Amalek was proportionally defeated, and he who prevailed prevailed by the cross. For it was not because Moses so prayed that the people were stronger, but because, while one who bore the name of Iésous was in the forefront of the battle, he himself [ie. Moses] made the sign of the cross ...

Dialogue with Trypho 41

"And God by Moses shows in another way the force of the mystery of the cross ...

... even as Amalek was defeated and Israel victorious when the people came out of Egypt, by means of the type of the stretching out of Moses' hands, and the name of Y'hoshua / Iésous, by which the son of Nave (Nun) was called.

And it seems that the type and sign, which was erected to counteract the serpents which bit Israel, was intended for the salvation of those who believe that death was declared to come thereafter on the serpent through Him that would be crucified, but salvation to those who had been bitten by him and had betaken themselves to Him that sent His Son into the world to be crucified.

Dial. 111

"And that it was declared by symbol, even in the time of Moses, that there would be two advents of this Christ, as I have mentioned previously, [manifest] from the symbol of the goats presented for sacrifice during the fast. And again, by what Moses and Y'hoshua / Iésous did, the same thing was symbolically announced and told beforehand. For the one of them, stretching out his hands, remained till evening on the hill, his hands being supported; and this reveals a type of no other thing than of the cross: and the other, whose name was altered to Iésous, led the fight, and Israel conquered.

"Now this took place in the case of both those holy men and prophets of God, that you may perceive how one of them could not bear up both the mysteries: I mean, the type of the cross and the type of the name.

Dial. 112

"And shall we not rather refer the standard to the resemblance of the crucified Jesus, since also Moses by his outstretched hands, together with him who was named Iésous, achieved a victory for your people?

Last edited by MrMacSon on Mon May 16, 2022 3:24 am, edited 4 times in total.
cora

Post by cora »

Thank you. I knew about the psalm, which already says enough. But I did not know Justin went that far. Is he crazy or not? The crucifixion is foretold in 1250 BC because Moses stands with his arms wide, and Joshua (or his forged name Jesus) leads the army. Unbelievable.

It means just that Moses is an Egyptian (who pray like that), instead of a Hebrew.(The story of the basket in the river was taken from another king).
Joshua was changed in Jesus. You know that Justin's papers went to Irenaeus in 170? Who came 15 years later with the NT? Including 4 gospels and Acts? Which never had been heard of before? My conclusion is corroborated. Especially as more of Justin's ideas are found IN the gospels.

I am on the point of, besides believing nothing of the OT, also not believing anything of the NT anymore.
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

cora wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:35 pm Thank you. I knew about the psalm, which already says enough. But I did not know Justin went that far. Is he crazy or not?
  • I don't think he was crazy. Just doing eisegesis or perhaps writing a sort of new midrashim, as Philo had done a century earlier.

cora wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:35 pm The crucifixion is foretold in 1250 BC because Moses stands with his arms wide, and Joshua (or his forged name Jesus) leads the army. Unbelievable.
  • Iesous was/is the Greek transliteration of the Hebrew or Aramaic Y'hosua or Yeshua.

cora wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:35 pm It means just that Moses is an Egyptian (who pray like that), instead of a Hebrew (The story of the basket in the river was taken from another king).
  • That's an interesting proposition

cora wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:35 pm You know that Justin's papers went to Irenaeus in 170? Who came 15 years later with the NT? Including 4 gospels and Acts? Which never had been heard of before?
  • I think plenty of people know Irenaeus was the first to state there were 4 gospels and to name them.

cora wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:35 pm ... more of Justin's ideas are found IN the gospels.
  • He could certainly have influenced the gospel writers if the gospels were indeed written or finalised during his time ... or shortly after ...
cora

Post by cora »

MrMacson,
I explained it before, Yhosua CANNOT be transliterated to Iesous. Is transliterating difficult? The name should remain the same.
Yhosua the O cannot be changed in an E
I o s u a UA cannot be changed in OUS, according to the rules of transliteration
I e s o u s
By the way, do you think that the jews are ALLOWED to change names in their holy scripture?
This is the 2nd time you say this, where do you base this on?
You show me yourself that Justin comes with it for inventing a crucifixion (before death on a stake).

Justin writes: the (original) name means "Man" or "Iesous".
Justin goes through some scenes from Genesis and Exodus and then concludes that Iesous means Yoshua. Is this not enough for you?
Then the LXX is forged. I read about it, I am not inventing this.

If Irenaeus places names on the gospels, how does he know what names? Since it was written 100 years before anonymously.
From the pastoral letters, which he wrote himself (Luke). From the never found Papias, whose text he wrote (Mark and Mathew).
Do yo think that if you want to wipe out Marcion, and want to make from 2 gospels 4, it is all done honestly and by many different people?

Explaining Justin's craziness will be a long story. I don't have time for that. He became a Christian (actually it was chrestian, from Marcion/Paul) and a self-appointed philosopher. He founded his own school in rome. Now: he saw himself as a philosopher, and Christianity was his philosophy. And therefore he thought that he could change the religion, and add all kinds of things. I don't have to tell you that that is not the task of philosophy, and that religion is not something which you personally change if you like. He mixed up the two. Therefore he is crazy.
Then he connected the (gnostic) religion to the OT. Paul and Marcion did not use the OT. Another crazy thing. Then he thought Jesus was a human being, which he was not according to Marcion and Paul. Let we say he was "confused", but more than ideal for Irenaeus.

Justin INVENTED: the virgin birth, the devil, the resurrection from the dead in the flesh, the day of Judgement, heaven, hell, the 2nd coming, the cross and the crucifixion, the name Jesus, and more things. Everything is coming back in the NT 15 years later. I don't call that just "influencing", I call that taking-over from Justin. Not by the gospel writers, but by the only gospel writer, Irenaeus (who had Justin's papers). It now can be seen that the gospels have been put together, and are not real. 30% or so is invented by Justin. And when you see what he invented, I call him crazy again. That crucifixion is terrible!!! And what do you think the devil and hell have become in the hands of the church??? Until today people are frightened. No, I would not call Justin normal.

That was it. When the jews produced the LXX and spread it, everybody was happy with it (nice, a new religion, as this was still so in that time) except the Egyptians of course, who were named as the bad guy. They came with their own version of the "exodus". They say there was an epidemic of leprosy, and brought all the people with it east of the nile. They had to work in the mines there (the slavery). Moses was a priest in some Egyptian temple for some god, caught leprosy, and was brought there too. He took the name Moses (he had an other name) and converted everybody to his god from his temple. Then he got them all to leave with him. The Egyptians said it was just in time, because they were on the verge of kicking them out themselves. The last sentence I do not believe. But the rest could be true. Anyway through what you sent me it is seen that Moses is praying like an Egyptian, with his arms wide. Circumcision comes from Egypt also. Interesting right? greetings, Cora.
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

cora wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:48 pm By the way, do you think that the Jews are ALLOWED to change names in their holy scripture?
Dunno what you mean by 'allowed to' to change names.

But Oshea/Hosea's name was changed to Yehosua (which was later changed in some texts or circles to Yeshua, perhaps via Aramaic)

cora wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:48 pm You show me yourself that Justin comes with it for inventing a crucifixion (before death on a stake).
I don't show Justin invented a crucifixion, at least I hope I don't give the impression that's what I've tried to do.

All I've tried to show is Justin could be central to the development of the concept of the shape of what became known as the Christian crucifix - and also the key image of Christ-on-a--shaped-cross, which is not in the New Testament.
cora

Post by cora »

Hosea was changed deliberately by the jews in Judea in Yehosua, the Ye stands for Jahweh. Yhosua is the same. Josua too. He belongs to Moses.
Now I meet: Yhosua/Iesous. Iesous the son of Nun. There is no Iesous the son of Nun as every jew knows. The names are not even connected, as I showed. Don't you know how much the jews, even today, hate the name Iesous? Jesus the son of Nun is preposterous. And the jews did it, just by chance? No way. I quoted what Justin wrote. You can have read that Justin did it. It is black on white. The name before was ISU. I do not get your point at all. Sorry I don't have the exact pages.

Ad of course he is suggesting a crucifixion. Moses made the sign of the cross, he says. And: Him that sent his His Son into the world to be crucified.
THAT IS THE CATHOLIC THEOLOGY I ONLY KNEW CAME FROM IRENAEUS. And: the resemblance to the crucified Jesus, since also Moses with his outstretched hands, together with him who was named Jesus, achieved a victory for your people. Isu died on a stake until then (see a letter of Paul in greek). Paul was not lying. This development was then short, 5 years after his death Irenaeus had all the papers. And I guess the words cross and crucifixion and crucified started coming immediately in the soon-to-be gospels. If not it was saved for later. Cora.
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

cora wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:13 pm Hosea was changed deliberately by the jews in Judea in Yehosua, the Ye stands for Jahweh. Yhosua is the same. Josua too. He belongs to Moses.
  • Yes / I think so.
cora wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:13 pm Now I [meant]: Yhosua/Iesous. Iesous the son of Nun. There is no Iesous the son of Nun as every jew knows. The names are not even connected, as I showed. Don't you know how much the Jews, even today, hate the name Iesous? Jesus the son of Nun is preposterous. And the Jews did it, just by chance? No way.
I'm pretty sure I've explained to you that Yehosua/Y'hosua/Yeshua or other versions of the Hebrew name known in English as Joshua was transliterated as Ἰησοῦς = Iesous in the Greekk versions of the Pentateuch known as the Septuagint or LXX; named after 70 or so scholars said to have translated the five Books of Moses into Greek as early as the 2nd century BC (Sept and LXX both = 70). See -
There is even an English version of the LXX/Septuagint, the Brenton translation, largely based on Codex Vaticanus.

The Chester Beatty Papyrus VI, dated to the 2nd century CE (I think), has nomina sacra for Ἰησοῦς /Iesous for Ἰησοῦς ὁ τοῦ Ναυή in two verses in Numbers ie. for Joshua son of Nun; see viewtopic.php?p=119692#p119692
cora

Post by cora »

The LXX was made in the beginning of the 3rd century BC. By jews. Joshua was not changed in Jesus. Joshua cannot even be transliterated into Jesus, but you seem not to be able to transliterate. According to your info, as soon as Christians started to use the LXX to find/or make allusions to Jesus, the jews themselves stopped their use of the LXX. I name Justin and Irenaeus. Everything about Jesus you therefore find in the LXX is Christian forgery. There is no Jesus in the OT. By the time of Origen everything was forged and all the copies were different.
Therefore the codex Vaticanus is not interesting because it is christian and from the 4th century. All the forgeries are already there.

This papyrus sent to me by "Ben" three times without a word, is from the 2nd century AFTER CHRIST, and is therefore one of the forgeries. He says it is from the middle of the 2nd century (of course not exactly 150), and therefore before Justin. He is not even aware of the fact that dating always has a range of 50 years. So 150 means that this is from anywhere between 125 and 175. Which is exactly like I said.

If someone has knowledge he thinks, he 'd better check if he knows all about it. From you I don't understand that you know nothing about forgery. Almost everything from the beginning of Christianity is forged, or even total fake.
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

:)

Deuteronomy 31.2-3: 2 And he said to them, “I am a hundred and twenty years old today; I am no longer able to come and go, and Yahweh has said to me, ‘You shall not cross this Jordan.’ 3 It is Yahweh your God who will cross ahead of you; He will destroy these nations before you, and you shall dispossess them. It is Joshua/Jesus [יְהוֹשֻׁעַ, Ιησοῦς] who will cross ahead of you, just as Yahweh has spoken.”

Papyrus Fouad 266 (first century BC), column 65, fragment 96 (Deuteronomy 31.2-3):

XX 2 [καὶ εἶπεν πρὸς αὐτούς ἑκατὸν καὶ εἴκοσι]
XX [ἐτῶν ἐγώ εἰμι σήμερον οὐ δυνήσομαι ἔτι]
XX [εἰσπορεύεσθαι καὶ ἐκπορεύεσθαι יהוה δὲ]
08 [εἶπεν πρό]ς μ[ε οὐ διαβήσῃ τὸν Ιορδά-]
09 [νην τοῦτ]ον. 3 יהוה [ὁ θεός σου ὁ πορευ-]
10 [όμενος π]ρὸ προσώπ[ου σου αὐτὸς ἐξο-]
11 [λεθρεύσε]ι τὰ ἔθνη τ[αῦτα ἀπὸ προσώπου]
12 [σου κ]αὶ κατακλη[ρονομήσεις αὐτούς]
13 [καὶ ]ησοῦς ὁ πορε[υόμενος πρὸ προσώ-]
XX που σου καθὰ ἐλάλησεν יהוה.

Link.